NY-TROY-IRISH-GENSOC-L Archives

From: Marianne Arnold <>
Subject: Re: [NY-TROY-IRISH-GENSOC] The Irish Bridget
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 16:08:48 -0500

Bridget was a nickname for Mary and Margaret - Mabel I haven't heard
of. Also, in an effort to "keep the Irish in their place", employers
of Irish women as housemaids often called all their female help either
Bridget or Mary, regardless of what their real names were. It was
convenient for them and a sign of their "superiority".

Of course Bridget was also lovingly used by their families as well.
And it stood alone as an Irish name given at baptism - there was a St.
Bridget, much revered in Ireland.

I have a Bridget as an original name and a couple as nicknames.
Marianne Arnold