Subject: Re: [NY-TROY-IRISH-GENSOC] The Irish Bridget
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 19:17:45 -0500 (EST)

I ordered the book from Market Block Books in Troy. They had it in a couple

Margaret Lynch-Brennan told me that since "Bridget" or "Biddy" was often
used unkindly to describe an Irish servant girl, many women changed their
names and she said that for many years up until recently, the name "Bridget"
seems not to have been given in this country. She said they never stopped
using it in Ireland. Margaret will likely talk about this.

Gail Landrigan

In a message dated 1/27/2011 3:56:47 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,

Can anyone tell me how to purchase the above book? Also, an ancestor was
listed on her Irish baptismal record as " Bridget ", but always used the
name, "Mabel". Were these names interchangeable for some reason?
Thank you,
Mary McAuliffe Nigro

===NY-IRISH-GENSOC Mailing List===
Time for Society Members to pay up their 2011 Dues. See the Website for
Troy Irish Genealogy Society
Click ON - "JOIN TIGS NOW!" to get form.

the subject and the body of the message

This thread: