NY-TROY-IRISH-GENSOC-L Archives

Subject: Re: [NY-TROY-IRISH-GENSOC] The Irish Bridget
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 19:17:45 -0500 (EST)

I ordered the book from Market Block Books in Troy. They had it in a couple
days.

Margaret Lynch-Brennan told me that since "Bridget" or "Biddy" was often
used unkindly to describe an Irish servant girl, many women changed their
names and she said that for many years up until recently, the name "Bridget"
seems not to have been given in this country. She said they never stopped
using it in Ireland. Margaret will likely talk about this.

Gail Landrigan

In a message dated 1/27/2011 3:56:47 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,