NY-TROY-IRISH-GENSOC-L Archives

From: ChristineConnell <>
Subject: Re: [NY-TROY-IRISH-GENSOC] Maple Beach
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 15:47:01 -0400

I believe that Maple Beach was another earlier name used for the
amusement park called Al-Tro (Albany-Troy) Park which was in Menands,
and now under Rt 787. On the bike path that runs along 787 there is a
commemorative sign which I saw on a bike ride there last summer. I
don't remember if the sign also notes it as Maple Beach.

The Tower Maple Park postcard that Tim Hooley sent looks like it could
be the same tower as this Al-Tro postcard:
http://www.colonie.org/historian/altro/pages/street_scene2_gif.htm

In this article
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nygreen2/old_timers_sloops_of_the_hudson_1966.htm
about Hudson River ferryboats, it says

/Many of us living remember the little sidewheeler steamboats that ran
between Albany and Troy, Albany, the Capital City and Troy the
Collar City, were and are thriving cities six miles apart .../ /During
the warm summer months additional income was gained from amusement
seekers as midway between the two cities, on the west bank of the
river, was one of the largest amusement parks in the Capital district.
At various times during the operation of this park it was under
different various owners and was known as Maple Beach Park and in its
later years, as Altro Park./

More info about Al-tro Park aka Maple Beach:

http://lostamusementparks.napha.org/NewYork-Parks.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Tro_Island_Park
http://www.colonie.org/historian/altro/

> I have an old postcard photo dated 1916 and the only information written on it is the name of the two individuals in the photo and "Maple Beach". Is anyone familiar with a location by that name in this area?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Kay Brearton

This thread: