NYALBANY-L ArchivesArchiver > NYALBANY > 2009-04 > 1241048581
From: "" <>
Subject: Re: [NYALBANY] Richard Joseph Welch Albany Unwed Mothers home
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 23:43:01 -0000
This is a Message Board Post that is gatewayed to this mailing list.
Message Board URL:
Message Board Post:
The Albany catholic unwed mother's home was most probably what is now known as St Catherine's.
The Archives/Records Holder(s)appears to be:
Roman Catholic Diocese of Albany
Sister Nola Brunner, Archivist
40 North Main Ave
Here's a link to the history: http://www.st-cath.org/SCCC_Published/history.htm
St Catherine's Center for Children Albany NY
In 1908 Francis Elliot Austin Home, staffed by the
Daughters of Charity, opened in Albany, NY as a maternity hospital and infant home. In 1914 St Francis de Sales Asylum and Francis Elliot Austin Asylum merged to form the Maternity Hospital and Infant Home of Albany. Anthony Brady built a new building for the maternity hospital and it was renamed Anthony Brady Maternity Hospital. In 1919 Brady
Hospital began a nurses training course in maternity care. The Children's Program was renamed St Catherine's Infant Home in 1951. Brady Memorial Hospital closed in 1966 and as a result, St Catherine's Home changed to a multi-service agency. In 1971 the infant home closed. St Catherine's Home changed its name to St Catherine's Center for Children in 1972 and operated the following programs: boarding and group home for children, day-care center, emergency shelter program, and educational facility for handicapped children.
The author of this message may not be subscribed to this list. If you would like to reply to them, please click on the Message Board URL link above and respond on the board.