NYBROOKLYN-L Archives

Archiver > NYBROOKLYN > 2005-01 > 1106280896

From: Joy Rich <>
Subject: Kings Park State Hospital Records
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 20:15:02 -0800 (PST)

At the monthly meeting of the Jewish Genealogical Society (New York) the other day, the topic was "Using Records of New York State Institutional Hospitals." The speaker said that all patient records for Kings Park State Hospital are at Pilgrim Psychiatric Center. She said to write to:

Medical Records
Pilgrim Psychiatric Center
998 Crooked Hill Road
West Brentwood, NY 11717-1087

or contact the Public Information Officer at (631) 761-3500 or 3740.

The speaker said that if the patient died in the hospital, the patient's file might have a copy of the death certificate in it.

The death should be recorded in the New York State death index, available at NARA in Manhattan, Buffalo and Erie County Public Library, New York State Archives in Albany, Onondaga County Public Library in Syracuse, and Rochester Public Library. The death certificate may be available through the Town Clerk.

The speaker said the records can include the admission card, medical history, photos, financial correspondence, correspondence with family members, personal information, family history, events preceding the admission, and where the person was admitted from, such as from home or from another hospital.

Joy Rich

wrote:
I'm not clear as to why this tells you to send to Kings Park like I just did
today for records if the records reside at Pilgrim. I'd appreciate it if
someone could offer some clarification. I just requested records today.

Thanks,

Marcia

In a message dated 1/20/2005 2:01:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

> > The Brooklyn Page discusses the location of some records at:
> > http://www.bklyn-genealogy-info.com/Vitals/Insane.Records.html
and

If I understand this correctly, Kings State Park Hospital is now closed?
> Their records were sent to Pilgrim State?

The Brooklyn Genealogical Information Pages
http://www.bklyn-genealogy-info.com/