NYBROOKLYN-L Archives

Archiver > NYBROOKLYN > 2005-01 > 1106936642

Subject: Re: NYBROOKLYN-D Digest V05 #41
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 13:24:02 EST

I have a photo of my great uncle, Otto Friedman, professionally Otto
Williams, who was a referee and a promoter in the Morrow-Burns fight on July 5,
1909. He lived in Brooklyn. I haven't made it a priority at this time to learn
more but I'm interested. Thanks.

Marcia

In a message dated 1/28/2005 12:13:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

On Jan 27, 2005, at 11:41 PM, wrote:

> Hello Brooklyn.
>
> Is there anything about SPORTS on the Brooklyn site?
>
> Does anyone know about Boxing in NYC?
>
> I found my grandpa in the NYT, March 18, 1915, as follows---
>
> "AMATEURS IN THE RING"
> Lively Bouts Furnish Good Sport at the Crescent AC"
>
> "Amateurs held the stage at the Crescent Athletic club of Brooklyn last
> night, the most attractive boxing tournament of the
> Winter season being enjoyed by nearly five hundred members and their
> friends."
>
> My grandpa fought at 135 lbs, was 23 years old, and was "attached" to
> St.
> John's Club. This club may not be a Brooklyn club as I am fairly
> certain that he
> lived in the Bronx at the time.
> Judging from the other participants who were attached to a club,
> this may have been an all city match.
>
> Would SKS point me in the right direction?
>
> Thank you very much,
> Barb

This thread: