NYC-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > NYC-ROOTS > 1999-07 > 0931977094

From: <>
Subject: Re:[NYC] Roman Catholic Orphan Asylum
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 14:31:34 EDT

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, wrote:

<<Last week I wrote asking about a Catholic Orphanage that was in the 14th
district in NYC in 1850. I have since found out that orphanage was probably
the Roman Catholic Orphan Asylum on Kings Bridge Road.

I have a few questions that I hope someone will be able to help me with.
Does anyone know if Kings Bridge Road in NYC would be in the Bronx? And if
that would have been the 14th district in 1850?

The woman at the Catholic Archdiocese said that she doesn't know where those
records would be kept. Does anyone have any suggestions about where the
records might be?

I'd appreciate any insight you can offer. Thanks.

Beth

In Reg Niles Directory of Adoption Agencies, Orphanages and Maternity Homes,
the following information is given for the Roman Catholic Orphan Asylum,
incorporated in 1852:

1965 to 1954 address: 122 E. 22nd St, Manhattan; provides funds for the care
of Catholic children; apply to the Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of
New York

1946 to 1935 same name, 24 E. 52nd St., Manhattan; Inc. 1852; "cares for
white or colored Catholic dependent children, in boarding homes and with
relatives or in institutions."

1921 same name and address; operates the Boys' Orphan Asylum and the Girls'
Orphan Asylum, both at Sedgwick Avenue and Kingsbridge Road in Kingsbridge,
NY (Bronx); the asylums are for 1,000 orphans, age 3-10 and are staffed by
Sisters of Charity of Saint Vincent de Paul; office at 470 Madison Ave in
Manhattan.

1909: The Roman Catholic Orphan Asylum in the City of New York, Boys' and
Girls' Asylums, Sedgwick Ave and Kingsbridge Rd; Office at 47 Madison Ave.

In the 1905 State Census, the Roman Catholic Orphan Asylum is enumerated in
the 35th AD, 55th ED.

1900: Roman Catholic Orphan Asylum in the City of New York, no address.

Hope this might provide some more help!

Marge Spears-Soloff
Orlando, FL

HNOH Welcome-Jewish Orphanages in the US
http://www.scruz.net/~elias/hnoh
Website e-mail:

This thread: