NYCHAUTA-L Archives

Archiver > NYCHAUTA > 2004-02 > 1078116027

Subject: [NYCHAUTA] Re: ROSS family 1830 census
Date: 29 Feb 2004 21:40:27 -0700

Surnames: ROSS
Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/rw/SRB.2ACE/7065.4

Message Board Post:

Jim,

I decsend from, Dr. John Melvin Ross, listed in the 1850 census for Fairview, Erie Co. Pennsylvania. At first I thought that Lyman Ross living next door to John was his father, now I'm thinking that he may actually be his Uncle. Lyman has a brother Truman Ross and this is who I believe is actually Dr. John Ross's Father, (still working on documentaion though). I too, also believe that the parents of Lyman and Truman Ross are, John Ross, with Lucy Manning or Fuller being the mother. Still working on this theory mysef.

I found listed in the "Golden Cemetery" in McKean, Erie Co. PA. Lucy A. Ross, died, 23 Dec 1838, age 16 years, 8 months, 13 days. Daughter of John & Lucy Ross. Dtr. Lucy A. seems to be buried next to Truman Ross who's grave stone is still standing. (dtr. Lucy A. birth date is abt. 10 Apr 1822).

A John Ross is listed in the 1840 census for Pomfret, Chautauqua Co. NY. Next door is Truman Ross. This John is old enough to be Truman's Father.

These are the census that I find Lyman Ross listed in, 1825 Pomfret, Chautauqua Co. NY. 1830 French Creek, Chauatqua Co. NY. 1840 McKean, Erie Co. PA. 1850 Fairview, Erie Co. PA.

Here are the census that I find Truman Ross in, 1820 Elk Creek, Erie Co. PA. 1830 McKean, Erie Co.PA. 1840 & 1850 Portland, Chautauqua Co. NY. 1860 McKean, Erie Co. PA. 1870 & 1880 Fairview, Erie Co. PA. Truman & wife Hannah IRISH had 4 living son's and a daughter. Gilbert, John, Jesse, William and Betsy Ross. There was a 6th child that apparently lived but died before 1884 and I do not know if it was male or female?

Not sure if your "Ross" family connects to my "Ross" family but there seems to be some "possible" connections.

I look forword to envestigating this further with you, you can e-mail me at my most frequently used mailbox,

Sincerely,
Tracey Ross-Daly

This thread: