NYCHAUTA-L Archives

Archiver > NYCHAUTA > 2004-12 > 1103229464

From: "Dan Parry" <>
Subject: RE: [NYCHAUTA] Re: Another HORACE GREELEY, and family, Sherman
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:37:44 -0500

Horace Greeley was the son of Zaccheus Greeley and Mary Woodburn.
They had 2 sons and three daughters who lived beyond infancy.
Horace's brother was Nathan Barnes Greeley, who married (1st) in Jan
1838 to Sally A. Hines, who d. 25 Apr 1857, no record of any children.
He m. (2nd) 24 Dec 1856 to Polly R. Conn, who bore 14 children, none
of them a Roscoe.

There are quite a few Horace Greeleys, many of them named after THE
Horace Greeley, so it would be easy to confuse. The Greeley Genealogy
lists close to 50 of them.

According to the Greeley Genealogy, by George Hiram Greeley, the
earliest Greeley immigrant was Andrew Greele, b. about 1617, d. 30
June 1697. He was an early settler of Salisbury, Massachusetts,
appearing first in 1640 in land records

The Greeley Genealogy lists two Roscoe Greeleys, as follows:

1). From Andrew Greele down: Andrew, Stephen, Jonathan, Samuel, Jacob,
Stephen, then
Burnham C. Greely b. Palermo, ME; m. Maria Longfellow; resides
Augusta, ME. Children: Stephen;
Green;
Roscoe;
Clarke.
No further info on these children.

2). From Andrew Greele down: Andrew, Joseph, Samuel, Samuel, Samuel,
William, then William R. Greeley, b. 19 Nov 1821 in Woodstock, NY, m.
Colesville, NY 6 Oct 1856 to Eliza Freeman, b. Colesville, NY 10 Nov
1836. He d. Susquehanna, PA 20 Nov 1877. Children:
William, b. 1 Aug 1860, d. 7 Sept 1860;
Amelia J., b. 23 Jan 1862;
Clara J., b. 4 Aug 1864;
Roscoe Freeman, b. 15 Dec 1866;
Grace, b. 16 Nov 1869;
Anna, b. 3 Nov 1872.

No further info on these children.

I am a Greeley descendant from Horace's line. Horace's younger
sister, Margaret Woodburn Greeley, married my great great grandfather
William O. Bush. That makes Horace Greeley my great great granduncle.

The Greeley genealogy has more on the ancestors of these Roscoes, so
if you can make a connection, I'd be happy to help with their
pedigree.

Dan Parry