NYCOLUMB-L Archives

Archiver > NYCOLUMB > 2010-03 > 1269666913

From: "" <>
Subject: Re: [NYCOLUMB] Vital Records Issue -- PLEASE READ
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 05:18:46 -0000

Author: rtwhalen1
Surnames:
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.northam.usa.states.newyork.counties.columbia/4934.2.1.2.1/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

Cliff

That's great advice. I was never sure on how protective NYS is over access to the index. At the NYC location you can just sit yourself down at the index and look at however many microfiche's you want to. But when I went to the Rochester Public Library they made you give them your license and you could only take out one sheet at a time. I know other libraries are similar to that.

If they did give us permission to work on such an undertaking I do see how an army of volunteers would be needed. Someone suggested speaking with the private sector ie Ancestry or Familysearch. If that was the route I'd rather go with Familysearch as it is free and many of their projects are dependent on volunteers.

My internet savvy is next to none when it comes to actually creating a webpage or that kind of thing. But I do have some computer whiz friends.

Hopefully we can make something happen

Important Note: