NYDELAWA-L Archives

Archiver > NYDELAWA > 2000-12 > 0977087136

Subject: [NYDELAWA-L] Re: NYDELAWA-D Digest V00 #350
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 16:05:36 EST

In a message dated 12/17/2000 7:02:14 AM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

<< Does anybody have access to the 1850 census for Hamden? >>
I do and will look up for you tomorrow when I have some time. Am going to
get our Christmas tree right now and decorate same and then to a Chistmas
concert tonight with our two great grandchildren.
My ancestor was Urbana Terry and my grandmother Lida Scott (Terry) McCune
used to speak of the Belcher family fondly. The family legend is that one of
my Terry families sold the family property to the Belchers. If I remember
correctly according the History of Delaware Co. NY, Roswell Belcher was the
"first colored person" to sit on a jury in Delaware Co. NY. I am 80 years
old and years ago, I remember seeing a picture my grandmother had of some of
the Belcher family but on my last trip to Delaware Co. to visit my aunt, the
picture could not be found. In the short time, I was there, I tried to go
through a trunkful of pictures and we tried to identify all that we could.
Some of the Terrys in Delaware Co. many years ago said their family legend
was that one of the Terrys went to the South and brought the Belchers to
Delaware Co. I have never seen any proof of that legend.
Must go and will back to tomorrow. Carol J. (McCune) McCraw in Woodland CA.

This thread: