NYDELAWA-L ArchivesArchiver > NYDELAWA > 2001-11 > 1005863793
From: "Karen L. Day" <>
Subject: [NYDELAWA-L] Doing the MORSE/MORS/MOSS thing again
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 17:36:33 -0500
The info I have so far pertains to a lot of Delaware Co., NY Morses and a tad of Dutchess Co., NY Morse/Mors/Moss. I'm trying to make the connection from NY to the MA Morses (via CT and RI). Any info I have after Joseph Morse, b. abt. 1755,Carmel (previously Frederickstown), Putnam Co. (previously Dutchess Co.) , NY and d. abt. 1835 RoxburyTwp., Delaware Co., NY m. Irena Haynes, daughter of John Haines and Mary Curtis....is not verified yet.
Right now I'm stuck, can't seem to get into Dutchess Co., NY with my line since I don't know really who Joseph's parents are. Is anyone researching this line and know of his parents and siblings? I hoping to get as much info as possible because I want to send it to my great-aunt. Don't know how much longer she'll be around, she will be 101 in January and was hoping to go back a generation or 2 and send it to her for her Birthday. She has been researching the line for years and got as far as belong.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Descendants of Joseph Morse
Generation No. 1
1. JOSEPH6 MORSE (JOSEPH5, JOSEPH4, JOSHUA3, ROBERT2, ANTHONY1) was born Abt. 1755 in Carmel, NY (Putnam County), and died Abt. 1835 in Roxbury Twp., Delaware Co., NY. He married IRENA HAYNES, daughter of JOHN HAINES and MARY CURTIS.
Notes for JOSEPH MORSE:
Came to Batavia-Kill (Vega), which is in the town of Roxbury, in 1795 from Fredericktown, Dutchess Co., now Carmel. Most of their children were born in Dutchess Co., only the last two were born in Batavia-Kill.
Served for a short time in the Revolutionary War.
The Morses are believed to have been French Huguenots who began in France as La Moss in very early times and became Moss when they migrated to England (or perhaps Wales?) and Morse as they emigrated to America. (The name is spelled Moss in the earliest census records and town records.)
Notes for IRENA HAYNES:
Was of Dutch ancestry.
Children of JOSEPH MORSE and IRENA HAYNES are:
2. i. MARGARET7 MORSE, b. Abt. 1795, NY or CT; d. May 14, 1857, Wattsburg, Erie Co., PA.
3. ii. ELIZABETH MORSE, b. February 14, 1790, Frederickstown, Putnam Co., NY; d. April 30, 1882, PA..
4. iii. SARAH SALLY MORSE, b. Abt. 1782, Frederickstown, Putnam Co., NY; d. July 08, 1850.
5. iv. JOHN HENRY MORSE, b. November 13, 1775, Frederickstown, Putnam Co., NY; d. July 15, 1864, Roxbury Twp., Delaware Co., NY.
6. v. LYDIA MORSE, b. October 20, 1779, Frederickstown, Putnam Co., NY; d. February 01, 1858.
7. vi. MARY MORSE, b. January 1780, Frederickstown, Putnam Co., NY; d. April 04, 1854, Fulton, OH.
8. vii. IRENA MORSE, b. Abt. 1792, Frederickstown, Putnam Co., NY.
9. viii. JOSEPH MORSE JR., b. July 23, 1785, Frederickstown, Putnam Co., NY; d. June 26, 1880, Roxbury Twp., Delaware Co., NY.
10. ix. IRA MORSE, b. November 17, 1789, Frederickstown, Putnam Co., NY; d. February 12, 1871, Kelly Corners, NY.
x. HENRY MORSE, b. 1797, Roxbury Twp., Delaware Co., NY.
Notes for HENRY MORSE:
Henry was blind, and he never married. A lot of his nephews were named after him.
11. xi. JAMES MORSE, b. April 02, 1802, Roxbury Twp., Delaware Co., NY; d. January 20, 1848.
Karen L. Day
Passaic County/Morris County
|[NYDELAWA-L] Doing the MORSE/MORS/MOSS thing again by "Karen L. Day" <>|