NYDELAWA-L Archives

Archiver > NYDELAWA > 2005-10 > 1128173166

From: "Gary Welch" <>
Subject: RE: Civil War soldier HELP
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 09:26:06 -0400

I can't find any record of Stephen Booth serving from NY although there were
several from other states. He also isn't listed in the 1890 veterans census
(John is listed). Neither John nor Stephen seems to have ever applied for a
pension. Stephen is listed as a laborer in the 1910 census, implying that
he was still able to work at age 74.

My understanding is that actual discharge papers were given to the soldier
and that no copy was kept by the government. You can get a copy of the
military service record from NARA. That would have enlistment and discharge
information as well as a record of where the soldier was at about 2 month
increments. See:

http://www.archives.gov/research/order/vets-records.html#nara