NYDELAWA-L Archives

Archiver > NYDELAWA > 2006-04 > 1145712656

From: "John H. Beach" <>
Subject: Well Known Delaware Co.Genealogist / Writer Dies
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 09:30:56 -0400

Hi all,

Some of you may have already heard about this horrible even, the lost of a
wonderful couple from Delaware County. Shirley and Robert Goerlich were
shot to death on April 6 in Florida. I emailed Joyce Riedinger about this
and she asked me to forward this news on to the Delaware County List.

I am sure that many of those that have researched their ancestors in the
Delaware and Chenango counties, especially in the Unadilla/Sidney area,
have referred to the many books and papers that Shirley had written during
the many years of her adult life. Her works were so detailed with history,
statistics and marvelous stories of the many small villages forming
themselves in the late 1700s and on through the 1800s. We will all miss
Shirley and her husband Robert terribly, not just for their great
contributions, but for their caring and kindness to all those that came to
know them in print or face to face.

So many have expressed their love for Shirley; the internet is just full of
wonderful comments. A cousin of mine said:

"I thank you so much for letting me know about Bob & Shirley's death.
What a complete shock!

Shirley and I started corresponding back in the late 1980's and there were
many phone calls and photos of our homes, etc. exchanged along the way.
Think I have every book Shirley wrote and books of records she compiled. I
also bought from her several old county histories --- some in their "ratty"
state and some she'd had rebound, etc. She was a terrific researcher.
On one of my trips to CO several years ago, I stopped by the White River
Ranger Station to see if their son, Bobby, was working near-by. I'd told
Shirley I'd do so and give her a first-hand "mother's report" on how her
son is doing.
I sit here with tears welling in my eyes. What a waste of the lives of two
good people."

I have added, below, some articles found on the internet about this tragic
happening. More can be found by searching on < shirley goerlich > .

[Recently posted in Dick Eastman's news letter]

Well Known Genealogist Murdered

When neighbors in Port Orange, Florida, heard the pops, they thought Linda
Sue Anderson was shooting off fireworks again. The 54-year-old Gregory
Circle resident was known for her erratic behavior. Neighbors said she was
"unbalanced".

Even when some peeked outside their homes and saw Anderson holding what
looked like a gun, no one suspected what police would later tell them: that
Anderson had apparently shot and killed Robert F. and Shirley B. Goerlich.

Anderson would later tell Port Orange police: "I hate them . . . they have
been torturing me . . . they make me cookies with green mothballs in them
and I get sick.." The woman was described by neighbors as having "some
sort of mental problems." When arrested, she kicked out a window in the
squad car that was to carry her to the police station.

Linda Sue Anderson, 54, was charged with two counts of first-degree murder
in connection with the couple's deaths. Anderson remains in jail without
bail, according to officials from the Volusia County Branch Jail in Daytona
Beach, Fla.

Shirley B. Goerlich was a well-known genealogist. She and her husband lived
in Unadilla, New York.

Following their retirement, they spent winters in Florida and summers in
Unadilla. Shirley Boyce Goerlich was the author, editor or transcriber of
many books, including:

Genealogy : A Practical Research Guide
History of Unadilla, Otsego County, New York
History of West Unadilla : Otsego County, New York : Riverside Route 7,
northwest Unadilla and the business district of adjacent Sidney, NY
(Delaware County)
East Guilford (New York) Cemetery
New York State census, town of Guilford, Chenango County, New York
Delaware County, New York : raw materials from the past
Etched in stone in Sidney, Delaware County, New York
Masonville, Delaware County, New York : early records from the past
Military service roster, Civil War, Town of Masonville, Delaware County,
New York
U.S. Federal/New York State census, Town of Sidney, Delaware County, New
York, 1850
Military service roster, Civil War, Town of Franklin, Delaware County, New
York
At rest in Unadilla, Otsego County, New York
New York State census, Town of Unadilla, Otsego County, New York
Guest register, the Unadilla House : January 1888 to September 1890,
Unadilla, Otsego County, New York
Town of Guilford, Chenango County, New York: burial grounds and cemeteries

She also wrote a column for the Daily Star of Unadilla, NY.

You can read more about the murders at:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/volusia/orl-vtwoshot0806apr08,0,1
784755.story?coll=orl-news-headlines-volusia"
****************************

Found on the internet:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/volusia/orl-vtwoshot0806apr08,0,1
784755.story?coll=orl-news-headlines-volusia

Killing suspect 'unbalanced'
Grieving friends of the slain couple say a 54-year-old neighborhood
resident could be erratic.
Erin Ailworth, Sentinel Staff Writer Florida

April 8, 2006

PORT ORANGE -- When neighbors heard the pops, they thought Linda Sue
Anderson was shooting off fireworks again.

The 54-year-old Gregory Circle resident was known for her erratic behavior.
Neighbors said she was "unbalanced."

Even when some peeked outside their homes and saw Anderson holding what
looked like a gun, no one suspected what police would later tell them: that
Anderson had apparently shot and killed Robert F. and Shirley B. Goerlich.

The couple from New York lived across the street from Anderson in a
manufactured-home community called Briarwood Estates during winter months,
and were known to have afternoon coffee and cookies with the woman.

"I don't know if she [Anderson] shot up into the air or . . . ," Gregory
Circle resident Barb Brusseau told a 911 dispatcher Thursday after hearing
between six and nine gunshots at about 7:35 p.m.

"And you're sure it was a gun?" the dispatcher asked.

"Oh yeah," Brusseau said. "It was a little black gun she had in her hand. I
saw that. Just as clear as can be. And she struts herself across the street
swinging the gun in her hand like it was nothing."

On Friday, no one on Gregory Circle knew where Anderson might have gotten
the handgun with a wooden grip. And they could only guess at what could
have upset Anderson enough that, as police tell it, she fired the weapon at
the couple who often helped her with routine household chores, such as
taking out the trash.

Anderson would later tell Port Orange police: "I hate them . . . they have
been torturing me . . . they make me cookies with green mothballs in them
and I get sick."

According to a police report of the incident, Anderson also told
investigators she thought she was firing blanks at the couple and hadn't
seen any blood or bullet holes on their clothes. She was being held Friday
at Volusia County Branch Jail on a slew of charges, including two counts of
first-degree murder.

On Friday, neighbors did say it was clear that Anderson had been mad at
Shirley Goerlich, 68, for the past few days. It was unclear why.

The two women hadn't spoken since Sunday or Monday night when Shirley
Goerlich took Anderson a piece of lemon meringue pie, Brusseau said. Then,
on Tuesday, Robert Goerlich had a heart attack and was hospitalized.
Shirley spent the next few days visiting him. He was home by 4:30 p.m.
Thursday.

Brusseau, 61, said she sat and visited with Shirley Goerlich that afternoon
while the older woman smoked a cigarette on the porch. The two talked about
how Anderson was angry with Shirley for some unknown reason.

Later, Brusseau and neighbor Paul Seymour were outside in their yards when
they said Anderson started having one of her fits.

"All of a sudden -- smash," Brusseau said, "she's playing basketball with
her dishes into her trash."

This wasn't unusual for a woman who neighbors said sometimes set off
fireworks at 4:30 a.m. Once, some said, they even saw Anderson cuss out a
new pet parrot who refused to talk. They also said she seemed to have a
rotating supply of kittens she was always trying to get to perform tricks.

The strange behavior didn't stop the Goerlichs from befriending the woman
when they came to town, however. They were the only people Anderson would
talk to, residents said.

"They never walked by without giving you a smile and a hello," Brusseau
said.

Neighbors said Robert Goerlich, 70, whom they knew as Bob, had a dry sense
of humor and had been in the U.S. Army. Records show his wife was
well-known in New York as a publisher, author and historian.

Abbey Maruca described the Goerlichs, who were his former next door
neighbors, a couple who always helped out. He said he and Bob Goerlich
often played pool together and it seemed like Shirley was always involved
in some local project, such as helping to put together a phone directory
for Briarwood residents.

On Friday, a person thought to be a relative of Anderson's declined to
comment.

In Briarwood, many were saddened by the deaths and stunned by Anderson's
arrest.

"Everybody was afraid of her," said Brusseau, who had talked with neighbors
that evening about asking police to have the woman involuntarily committed
to a mental-health facility for observation. "I wish . . . I'd called right
then."

Etan Horowitz of the Sentinel staff contributed to this report. Erin
Ailworth can be reached at or 386-851-7925.

Binghamton Press & Sun-Bulletin

Friday April 14, 2006

Funeral Wednesday for slain Unadilla couple
Florida neighbor, 54, faces murder charges in Goerlichs' killings

SIDNEY -- Funeral services for Shirley and Robert Goerlich, of Unadilla,
shot to death in Port Orange, Fla., April 6 will be at 11 a.m. Wednesday at
Sacred Heart Church in Sidney.
Calling hours for the couple will be from 3 to 5 and 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at
the Westcott Funeral Home in Unadilla. Burial will follow the funeral
services in Evergreen Cemetery in Unadilla.
Shirley Goerlich, 69, and her husband Robert, 70, lived in the Town of
Unadilla, but spent winters in Florida.
Linda Sue Anderson, 54, a Florida neighbor of the Goerlichs, is accused in
the shooting death. Anderson is in jail without bail after having been
arrested April 7 on two counts of first-degree murder.
The Goerlichs were watching television when the shooting occurred. Police
said the defendant apparently believed that the couple had given her
cookies that contained "green mothballs."
Robert Goerlich had worked in public relations for Link flight simulation
before retiring in 1995, His wife was a writer and historian for
communities in Delaware and Chenango counties.

Kind regards,

John H. Beach

Yonkers, NY

Note: The "_" character is the underscore character, NOT a space or dash.
April 22, 2006
8:52 am

This thread: