NYDELAWA-L Archives

Archiver > NYDELAWA > 2011-07 > 1311107662

From: "Anne McEligot" <>
Subject: Re: [NYDELAWA] George Dugan update
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 13:34:22 -0700

I found this in a google search of "George Dugan"
Regards,
Anne

From: "Mary Jane & Martin Albright" <>
Subject: Re: Colonial War in the Champlain Valley
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 02:10:37 -0500

Hi,

This is my first posting also to this list... I am wondering if anyone has
any information on the following person or his infantry/company in the civil
war or knows someone who has heard of him...... Here is an article from my
great grandmother's scrapbook about one of his 102 birthday celebrations:

On a pamphlet with his photograph on it is the following:

100th Anniversary
in honor of
George Dugan
1839 - 1939

(underneath the photograph is)

Sponsored by
The Earl Dudley Post, No. 686
American Legion
at
Streeter's Hotel, Roxbury, N. Y.
Saturday, April 15, 1939
7:30 p.m.

(inside the pamphlet is the followingJ

George Dugan

George Dugan was born in County Down in Ireland on April 15, 1839, and was
baptized at Balaroney.

His mother's name was Mary Matthews, daughter of Mrs. Mary Martin Matthews,
who was related to the Royal family of England. This is a family tradition,
whether authentic or not cannot be vouched for. His father's name was Samuel
Dugan, who died at the age of thirty-two. His mother, with her seven
children, then came to this country, where some of her brothers had gone.
Mr. Dugan was then a boy of eight years. It took seven weeks for their ship
to reach New York, due to some trouble. They landed on the shores of the
United States in 1847 and then came on to Albany to her brother, Andrew's
home. They soon came to Davenport fo live. She and the older children
supported the family.

At the outbreak of the Civil War he enlisted at Hobart, New York, and was
assigned to Co. C, 51st Regiment, New York Volunteers. He enlisted at the
age of twenty-two.

He was in 17 major battles, besides many skirmishes. Some of them were 2nd
battle of Bull Run, Antietam, Fredericksburg, siege of Vicksburg, Wilderness
and he was present when Lee surrendered at Appomatox Court House. He saw the
naval fight between the Monitor and the Merrimac. He carried the flag for
Gen. U. S. Grant at Vicksburg when he was struck by a Southern rifle ball in
the head and was left unconscious on the battlefield. Next day he regained
consciousness and was taken to Libby Prison by some Confederate troops. He
was paroled after nine days, but it was 49 days before he received any
medical attention and had the bullet extracted. He was among those who who
guarded the train which carried Mrs. Abraham Lincoln on a journey to
Lexington, Kentucky. He was with General Burnside's army until it was
brought back yto reenforce General McClellan's. One time when he was
carrying the flag, it was shot out of his hands three times. At the
expiration of his first term of enlistment, he reenlisted on the same day
and was honorably discharged at the close of the war.

Afterwards, he returned home and settled in Kortwright, Delaware County, New
York. He worked as a farm laborer and later worked on the construction of
the U. & D R R from Kingston to Stamford. He did a great deal of studying in
his spare time, as he was a keen reader. One interesting incident in
connection with his experiences at this time was that when Jay Gould was
making a map of Delaware County, he walked from one place to another, his
instruments and supplies being carried in a wheelbarrow. Mr. Dugan wheeled
the wheelbarrow while Mr. Gould was in the vicinity of Kortright.

In August 1874 he was united in marriage to Nancy McCauley of Kortright.
They settled on a farm in that section, and lived there until 1885 when they
moved to the town of Harpersfield. Eight children were born to them, of whom
seven are still living. In 1920, owing to the poor health of Mrs. Dugan,
they went to Jefferson to live with a married daughter, Mrs. Harry Ruland.
Mrs. Dugan died Dec. 4, 1922. Later, they moved to Oneonta, N. Y., where he
lived for several years. At present he resides with his son, John, at
Roxbury, N. Y.

Last year he, accompanied by his son, William, attended the reunion of the
Blue and the Gray at Gettysburg, Pa. He made the trip in an automobile,
spending one night visiting Dr. Frederick Leonard of Carbondale, Pa. He was
the son of William H. Leonard, the doctor in Mr. Dugan's Regiment. This
Civil War doctor was the grandfather of Mrs. John Dugan. He then proceeded
on to Gettysburg the following day, where he thoroughly enjoyed the Reunion
activitiess, returning home on the 6th of July.

Mr Dugan enjoys excellent health and retains all his faculties, being only
slightly deaf. He always reads the daily newspaper. He walks around the farm
a great deal in the summer. He enjoys automobile riding and often goes to
Schenectady and Albany and back on the same day. He is an ardent pipe
smoker. He is a strong Republican, never having missed an election since
1860, when he voted for Abraham Lincoln. He is the last surviving member of
the G. A. R. Post in Oneonta, N. Y. He has a sunny general disposition and
is beloved by the entire community.

Thank you,
Mary Jane Albright
Bath, ME (formerly upstate/central NY)