NYDUTCHE-L Archives

Archiver > NYDUTCHE > 2007-09 > 1189489813

From: "Fred" <>
Subject: [NYDUTCHE] Items REMOVED and NEW PROBLEM in FTM 2008 software 2 of 3
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 01:50:13 -0400

NEW PROBLEM:

=============

NEW PROBLEM: Requires a PC with more memory, faster CPU and more hard drive
space.

NEW PROBLEM: Program uses large amounts of page memory. More than any
program I have seen. High end programs such as Photoshop and Microsoft
Office do not use anywhere near the amount of memory to run FTM 2008. Which
most likely is responsible for the slowness of the program.

NEW PROBLEM: Some names of people are incorrect in 2008 after importing
from 2006.

NEW PROBLEM: Pretty interface that is slow and unresponsive. The slower
response dramatically increases the time to enter data and generate reports.

NEW PROBLEM: Authenticate with the server. An unnecessary feature.

NEW PROBLEM: Registration fails for some people.

NEW PROBLEM: Nag screen popup window to register program. I did not have to
register the program to download the update or to use the program. After 4
days the nag screen stopped.

NEW PROBLEM: Nag screen popup window auto-search on starting program asking
if it is ok to search the web. I have not found a way to turn this off, but
it also stopped after 4 days.

NEW PROBLEM: Maxes out the CPU when checking in task manager to almost 100%
making the PC and program extremely slow and unresponsive. I cannot do
anything else on the PC until I FTM is shut down because of this.

NEW PROBLEM: Undo of merged/append file. I merged two files and did not
find where you can undo it on the menu anywhere. Although this morning when
I started 2008 there was an undo on the menu under edit. It was not there
before so I checked the version # of FTM and it had not changed. So I have
no idea as to where undo feature was before when using the program.

NEW PROBLEM: Imported a FTW file from ver 2006 into 2008 and all went ok.
On checking the data, several names were incorrect.

NEW PROBLEM: Bloated program increased in size from 55MB in 2006 to 379MB in
2008.

NEW PROBLEM: Bloated database increase in size from 95MB in 2006 to 174MB in
2008.

NEW PROBLEM: Exported data back to an older version of FTM using a GEDCOM
file from 2008 and re-imported back into an older version of FTM and then
exporting it from the older version and re-importing it back to 2008 caused
data errors with the data.

NEW PROBLEM: Moving from one person to another now takes between 15-60
seconds on ever person I move to.

NEW PROBLEM: Trees contain fields such as B and D when you have no data for
them. In prior versions the trees were not cluttered with missing data
fields. I have not found a way to remove them.

NEW PROBLEM: For people that are married more than one, you lose your
preferred spouse setting when importing a file from prior versions of FTM.
All my preferred spouses are gone and if I continued using 2008 I would have
to go to every marriage and reselect a preferred spouse.

NEW PROBLEM: Changes to the pedigree report design do not hold when saved.
I had made changes several times and saved them only to come back to the
same report and it is set back to the defaults.

NEW PROBLEM: Custom report does not allow you to remove items such as dates
and the word "in", even though it has a tab under item to include doing
this. It even shows you a sample of how it will look without the data or
the word "in" but it does not show up that way on the report. The custom
report no longer lists the name to the left and then the items you select
directly across from the name so you can readily run through the report and
find errors in the names of locations, such as birth, death and marriage.
Now it lists these under the name so it makes it much harder to find
irregularities in spelling and abbreviations.

NEW PROBLEM: When moving from one report to another you must reselect the
individuals you want in the report.

NEW PROBLEM: On merging/appending a FTM file with 21 people to a database of
104,215 it took 10 hours 5 minutes. This is broken down to 7 hours 15
minutes to load the 21 people, 2 hours to do matching people and then
another window opened for you to select items to do the merge and click
continue and it beginnings merging, another 50 minutes to complete the total
merge process. Both files had already been imported into 2008 prior to
doing the merge. Windows task manager showed the CPU maxed out at almost
100% the entire time and used over 800,000k memory. I saw no undelete
option after the merge. I can't live with this software taking this amount
of time to do something. Although this morning when I started 2008 there
was an undo on the menu under edit. It was not there before so I checked
the version # of FTM and it had not changed. So I have no idea as to where
undo feature was before when using the program.

NEW PROBLEM: There is an Undo feature. This morning when I started 2008
there was an undo on the menu under edit. It was not there before so I
checked the version # of FTM and it had not changed. So I have no idea as
to where undo feature was before when using the program. It appears to me
that certain items do not show up at all times on the screen. Example is
the calculator on the side of the date field and the ? on the side of the
place field. Do not show up at all times.

NEW PROBLEM: Parentage report with 100,000 people took over 30 minutes to
generate, where it took less than 1 minute in ver 2006.

NEW PROBLEM: Most reports will not allow you to set or save defaults. You
have to make the changes every time you use the report. If you select
certain individuals in one report and the want another report you must
reselect them all again. Where as in 2006 you could move from report to
report and not have to reselect them again.

NEW PROBLEM: 2008 has database of 3 million place names connected to
FastFields that are inaccurate and leave out locations where names changed.
I see no way to turn off FTM place names or change these place names or to
only use your place names. I have a detailed email outlining the problem
with FTM place names if you have not seen it already. There is a setting in
the options to not use FastFields for place names, but then your FastField
items will also not work. I don't need FTM telling me how to name a
location.

NEW PROBLEM: Program unresponsive and locks up. It appears that unlike 2006
if the program locked up and did not close 2008 properly the data or changed
setting are not saved. So in 2008 on a lock up and you have to force the
program to shut down or the program crashes on you and closes the data or
setting change is lost. I noticed this on the date files as I set the date
to show month, day year with full spelling of month. On crash and starting
2008 the date settings were set back to the default.

NEW PROBLEM: Reduced design of reports that still exist.

NEW PROBLEM: Duplication of data on the screen in more than one place at the
same time.

NEW PROBLEM: When you close the program, even though it is gone on the
screen in task manager it still runs for about 5 minutes.

This thread: