NYE-L Archives

Archiver > NYE > 2002-03 > 1016943362

Subject: [NYE] NEU Family of Kleinich, Germany
Date: 23 Mar 2002 21:16:02 -0700

Surnames: NEU, NEIGH, NIGH, WEBER
Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/an/DB4.2ACIB/449

Message Board Post:

This is in reply to Beverly NYE BENJOU's Mar. 18, 2002, query to the NYE Message Board titled "NEU/NEY/NYE". I have a copy of the book "American Nyes of German Origin", Vol. I, by L. Bert NYE, Jr., 1984.

See the following report which appears on my home page: http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/t/i/l/Susan-E-Tilleman/GENE11-0001.html

My NEU/NEIGH/NIGH line can be found under Generation 13, Person 4736; Generation 12, Person 2368; Generation 11, Person 1184; Generation 10, Person 592; Generation 9, Person 296; Generation 8, Person 148; and Generation 7, Person 74. This report only goes back 13 generations, to the generation of my earliest ancestors who migrated to America. Page 1 of the above-mentioned book takes the family back 1 generation further, to the family of Hans NEU, the elder. Following is information taken from page 1 of that book:

"The earliest known records of the ancestors of Johan Nicholas and Johan Adam Neu are to be found in the Parishbook of the Kleinich Evangelical Church in Kleinich, a village still extent in the Bernkastle-Kues area near the south bank of the Mosel River eight kilometers southwest of the City of Traben-Tarbach. The original Parishbook, which is held in the Staatsarchive at Koblenz, includes baptisms, marriages and burials for the period 1593-1798 and the first Neu record is that of the family of:

HANS NEU, the elder
who married EFEN __________. He is listed as a Burger (citizen) of Kleinich and was buried there September 26, 1597. Efen was buried there August 13, 1617.
Children (list may not be complete or order certain):
*1. Hans, the younger.
2. Elst; m. May 26, 1618 at Kleinich, Catharina Weber, dau. Friederich Weber of Thal Kleinich (Kleinich Valley).
3. Barbel, bpt. Jun 24, 1593, at Kleinich.
4. Maria, bpt. May 5, 1594, at Kleinich.
5. Krechgenn, bpt. Mar 28, 1797, at Kleinich; spons. Nichol Schmidt of Roigert (?), Apollonia, wife of Surgeon Beck and Esta, dau. Hilty Berges.
6. Closs; m. Sonna __________.
7. Ebert."

A note at the bottom of page 1 adds "There are additional Neu records from the church at Kleinich and other Palatinate towns (available on film) which have yet to be translated and studied. Researchers of Neu family history are encouraged to do so."

Note that, with regard to the family of Hans NEU, the younger, page 3 of the above-mentioned book states that "In the autumn of 1632, during the Thirty Years War, Margaretha [his wife] and eight of their children perished within a five-week period, probably as a direct, or indirect, result of the war." It appears that their son Eberhard was the only child of this union to live past 1634.

This thread: