NYMONROE-L Archives

Archiver > NYMONROE > 2001-11 > 1007142594

Subject: [NYMONROE-L] !! Monroe Co., NY Jan. 20-21, 1862
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 12:49:54 EST

Rochester, Monroe, NY
Democrat & Chronicle
Jan. 20, 1862

LOCAL AFFAIRS

Affray in a Gambling Room - Sam. Melby Shot and Probably Killed - Deposition
of the Wounded Man

A young man by the name of Samuel MILBY, well known in this city, was shot
last evening, at 6 o'clock, in a gambling room in the second story of
Moulson's Block, Frost street, first door south of the Central Railroad
Depot, under the following circumstances:

The occurrence took place in a room occupied by Theodore NEWCOMB. The
following persons were present at the time of the affray: Samuel MELBY, the
wounded man; his brother, Pat MELBY, an ex-policeman; Alex WILSON; Wm. SHAW;
Theodore NEWCOMB, and a man known as "Let. HUTCH." His name is HUTCHINSON.
They had been engaged in gambling at faro, when HUTCHINSON had an altercation
with Pat MELBY about the stakes, and collared him, at the same time drawing a
revolver. Samuel thinking he was about to shoot, caught HUTCHINSON by the
collar and drew him around, when the latter fired the pistol at him, the ball
entering the abdomen a short distance above the groin. As he received the
ball, MELBY exclaimed, "my God, he has shot me," and immediately fell to the
floor. In the confusion HUTCHINSON escaped.

MELBY was immediately conveyed to Mendelbaum's saloon, and carried to an
upper room, and placed in bed. Drs. LANGWORTHY and MONTGOMERY were summoned,
and probed the wound, but could not find the ball. They state that the
wounded man is in a very critical condition, and the chances are against his
recovery. The Rev. Father MOORE was sent after to take the supposed dying
man's confession. He spent about twenty minutes with MELBY alone affording
him the consolations of the Catholic religion. MELBY was vomiting almost
constantly, which was pronounced a very unfavorable symptom.

As soon as officer KENNEY heard of the affair he burst open the gambling room
kept by NEWCOMB, and secured the gambling implements and devices used in the
establishment.

MELBY has been an inmate of State prison for two years. He was a boatman. We
are told that HUTCHINSON has also been in the State Prison.

HUTCHINSON is described as being a short, slight made man, about five feet
eight inched in height, and about thirty years of age. He has one club foot;
wears a boot with a cork sole. He has a sandy moustache, and chin whiskers.
He is a notorious black-leg, and hails from Troy. His relatives reside at
Newark, Wayne Co. Officers are on his track, and it is thought that he will
be caught.

Below we give MELBY's deposition as taken by Coroner BLOSS. It was obtained
with great difficulty, in short snatches and broken sentences, as the
unfortunate man could hardly speak.
Samuel MELBY, being duly sworn and examined, testifies an says: I am
twenty-seven years of age, and reside on Lime street. I was shot to-night by
a man in the room that Alex. WILSON and Theodore NEWCOMB kept; never saw the
man before. The room is in Moulson's Block, on Front street. MANDELBAUM has
nothing to do with it. Billy SHAW, Theodore NEWCOMB, Alex. WILSON, my brother
Patrick, and I were in the room at the time. They had been playing cards with
my brother, and got quarreling, and got up from the table. My brother struck
at this fellow, and he pulled something out of his pocket to strike my
brother, as I thought. I took hold to swing him around, and as I did so he
got his hand on his pocket and turned around and shot me, and then ran. I
think my brother had won some money of him. They were dealing faro all day,
and I was there looking on. Theodore NEWCOMB and the man that shot me dealt
faro. The man who shot me is somewhat lame, and is of a sand complexion.

His
Samuel X MELBY
Mark

Subscribed and sworn to before me this 19th day of January, 1862
W. W. BLOSS, Coroner
****
DEAD IN BED

Yesterday morning an infant, belonging to a family of the name of PIERCE,
residing at the corner of Buffalo and Elizabeth streets, was found dead in
bed with its parents. Coroner BLOSS investigated the case. A physician
expressed the opinion that death might have been caused by ????
****
FATAL RAILROAD ACCIDENT - Mr. Theodore BRIDGEMAN, a brakeman employed by the
Central Railroad Company on a local freight train, was killed by falling from
the cars, as the train was entering Utica, about half- past eight o'clock
last Wednesday night. The Utica Herald says the unfortunate man was walking
over the train toward the rear car, with the intention of cutting off the
three last cars, which were to be left at that station. Separating the three
house-cars he was to cut off and the one on which he stood, was a platform
car, and it is supposed that, blinded from the smoke of the locomotive, he
walked off the end f the box car and fell under the wheels of the moving
train. The body, when recovered, presented a horrible spectacle, having been
pushed along the track for some distance, after the accident.
****

Jan. 21, 1862

A HORRIBLE CRIME ---A WOMAN LEAVES HER INFANT OUT DOORS TO FREEZE TO DEATH

About ten days ago, the dead body of a male child, about six weeks old, was
found upon the sidewalk in Oxford place. An investigation was had, which led
to the belief that the child had been placed there, that it might freeze to
death, and that its death was caused in this manner.

Suspicions fell upon a woman named Ellen CHENEY, wife of George A. CHENEY,
and yesterday she was arrested by Constable MERRILL, when she acknowledged
her guilt, and narrated the circumstances.

To-day, Mrs. Laura WEEKS, wife of John WEEKS, No. 14 Blossom street, was
arrested as an accomplice. They were taken before the Police Court, and fully
committed on a charge of murder, to await an examination on Tuesday next. In
the meantime an investigation will be made by Coroner RICHARDSON.

The mother of the child does not live with her husband. She is nineteen years
old, and has been married two years. Evidently she is not very intelligent.
She says, in extenuation of her offence, that she worked in a shop, and found
it difficult to bear the expense of supporting the child, and that she had
applied at a police station to see if she could not get aid from the city,
but on returning home was advised by Mrs. WEEKS to abandon the infant in the
street. They accordingly, in the evening, took the child and carried it into
Oxford place, where they left it upon the steps of a doorway, hoping that it
might be taken in and cared for.

Mrs. Weeks is about fifty years of age.
{Boston Traveller}
****
ANOTHER CHILD MURDERED BY ITS MOTHER - The police of the First Station
arrested yesterday a girl named Catharine J. HENNESY, on a charge of
murdering her child. The body of the child, a female, was found in Cooper
street, Thursday night. Coroner MOORE was called, and expressed the opinion
that the child was about twenty hours old, and that it came to its death from
other than natural causes. He will investigate the circumstances of the case.
{Boston Trav.}
****
MARRIED

BRISTOL - BARBER - In Rush, on the 15th instant, by Rev. James BALNETI?E, Mr.
L. C. BRISTOL and Miss Emeline BARBER, both of Rush.

TOWNSEND - STORMS - In Batavia, on the 1st inst., Uriah TOWNSEND and Eliza
STORMS, both of the above place.
****
DIED

CROCKER - In Pavillon, on Sunday evening, relict of the late Isaac CROCKER,
and mother of J. L. CROCKER, aged 7(1 or 4) years.
****

--
Submittd By
3 991004

Assistant Coordinator for Pike Co. ILGenWeb site
http://PikeCoILGenWeb.org

Please visit my Web Page
& sign my Guestbook
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~glendasubyak