NYONTARI-L Archives

Archiver > NYONTARI > 2002-07 > 1026002124

Subject: [Ont'rio] McGOUGH
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 20:35:34 EDT

Is there anyone out there searching my McGOUGH's???? If so maybe this
information will help and maybe you can help me with my search. I can't find
where in Ireland (County) they came from. I know from the census information
(below) that they arrive prior to 1845. Any help will be greatly
appreciated.
RAY (AZ)

McGOUGH, McGOFF, MAGOUGH, this is the spelling of my GParents name on ths
census from 1845 to1900.

1845 Census for Canandaigua, Ontario, NY lists

David McGOUGH with wife (Mary) and 2 male children, John and one who died
prior to the 1850 census. It also lists number of family members born in
Great Briton or possesions 3 (David, Mary and John).
Just for information: taken from 1845 Census, they had 1 Acre planted in
potato's, 3/4 of acre planted in corn, 1 milk cow that produced 40 pounds of
butter during the year and owned 2 hogs. (sure love that 1845 census)

NOTE: David McGOUGH is my GGGfather
Mary McGOUGH is my GGGmother
John McGOUGH is my GGFather

Note different spelling as mentioned.
1850 Census for Canandaigua, Ontario, NY

Name Relationship Age Born Yrs in Town

David McGOFF father 34y b. Ireland
Mary MCGOFF mother 30y b. Ireland
John McGOFF son 13y b. Ireland
Harriet McGOFF daughter 03y b. New York
William J McGOFF son 01y b. New York

Joseph WILLSON* 62y b. Ireland
Margaret WILLSON* 62y b. Ireland
*NOTE: Joseph and Margaret WILLSON are Mary's parents and my maternal
GGGGparents.

1855 Census for Canandaigua, Ontario, New York
Name Relationship Age Born Yrs in Town

David McGOUGH Father 39y b. Ireland 18y
Mary McGOUGH Wife 37y b. Ireland 17y
John McGOUGH son 17y b. Ireland 11y
Harriet McGOUGH daughter 08y b. Ontario, NY
William McGOUGH son 06y b. Ontario, NY
David McGOUGH son 01y b. Ontario, NY
Joseph WILLSON Father in law 67y b. Ireland 6y

1860 Census for Canandaigua, Ontario, NY
Name Relationship Age Born Yrs in Town

(note the spelling)
David MAGOUGH Husband 46y
Mary MAGOUGH Wife 43y
John A. MAGOUGH Son 22y
Harriet H.
MAGOUGH Daughter 13y
William MAGOUGH Son 11y
David MAGOUGH Son 06y
Margaret
MAGOUGH Daughter 04y
Joseph MAGOUGH Son 03y
Joseph WILLSON* Father-in-law 72y
*Value of real estate $800.00

1865 Census for Canandaigua, Ontario N.Y.

David McGOUGH 50y
Mary MaGOUGH 46y
John McGOUGH 26y
Harriet H.
McGOUGH 18y
William James
McGOUGH 16y
David W. McGOUGH 11y
Margaret E,
McGOUGH 09y
Joseph H. McGOUGH 07y
George McGOUGH 03y
Joseph WILLSON Father in law 77y

1870 Census for Canandaigua, Ontario, N.Y.

David McGOFF 52y
Mary McGOFF Wife 51y
Hattie (Harriet)
McGOFF Daughter 22y
Willis (William)
McGOFF Son 21y
Margaret McGOFF Daughter 14y
Joseph McGOFF Son 12y
Freddie (George Fredrick)
McGOFF Son 09y
Joseph WILLSON Father-in-law 82y
David McGOFF Son 16y Different household during Census

1875 Census for Canandaigua, Ontario, N.Y.

David McGOFF 59y
Mary McGOFF 50y (error, should be 57y) Wife
William J McGOFF 26y Son
Margaret E McGOFF 19y Dau
George F McGOFF 12y Son
Alice McGOFF 5y Grand Daughter
Note: 1 June 1875, those who passed away during the past year.
David McGOFF Son 20y, Died 1 April 1875 of Small Pox.

John McGOFF 37y B. Ireland GGFather
Emma McGOFF 25y B. Yates NY GGMother (Maiden Name
Unknown)
Hattie McGOFF 3y B. Chuming NY GMother (Her full name
is Hattie Velma Bertha McGOUGH) Also place of birth on census doesn’t match
pob on her childrens Birth Certificates, which is Watkins. Watkins is also
noted on documents in my fathers medical records at the Veterans
Administration

1880 Census for Canandaigua N.Y.

William McGOUGH 30y Gardener Born NY, Father Ireland, Mother
Ireland
Margaret McGOUGH 28y Born Ireland, Father & Mother
Ireland

David McGOUGH 62y Gardener Born Ireland, Mother & Father Ireland
Alice McGOUGH 10y Gr Dau Born NY, Father Ireland, Mother NY
Hattie McGOUGH 8y Gr Dau Born NY, Father Ireland, Mother NY

1900 Census for Canandaigua, Ontario, N.Y.

Fred McGOFF b. Oct 1862 37y 48 Gorham Street
Anna C McGOFF b. Feb 1881 19y
Olive E McGOFF b. Mar 1899 1y (Passed away 1905)
For some reason they used Georges middle name (George Fredrick McGOFF)
Neighbors appear to be Anna's Mother and Brother
Ann E WHITE b. Dec 1857 42y Widow Residing at 50 Gorham
St
Richard A WHITE b. Dec 1885 14y Son

Register of Marriage, Register No. 1213
Performed on 6 October 1898
Canandaigua, Ontario, N.Y.

Groom: George F. McGOUGH
Canandaigua, N.Y.
Born: Canandaigua, N.Y.
Father: David McGOUGH
Born: Ireland
Mother: Mary Wilson
Born: Ireland
Age: 36y
Occupation: Clerk

Marriage performed by D. ENGLISH

Bride: Anna C. WHITE
Canandaigua, N.Y.
Born: Canandaigua, N.Y.
Father: Martin WHITE
Born: None listed
Mother: Annie EGAN
Born: None listed
Age: 20y
Occupation: None listed

Register of Marriage, Register No 208
Performed on 12 October 1923
Canandaigua, Ontario, N.Y.

Groom: David Martin McGOUGH
111 N. Portland Ave, Youngstown, Ohio
Born: Canandaigua, N.Y. (1901)
Father: George F. McGOUGH
Born: New York
Mother: Anna C. White
Born: U.S.
Age: 22
Occupation: Trainman

Marriage performed by Wm. H. DARCY a Catholic Priest residing in
Canandaigua, N.Y.

Bride: Margaret Genevieve Kaveny
45 Main St. Canandaigua N.Y.
Born: Gorham, N.Y. (1895)
Mother: Kate CONE
Born: U.S.
Age: 28
Occupation: Saleslady

Register of Death, Register No. 843
Canandaigua, Ontario, New York

David McGOUGH
Age: 76y 3m DOB March 1815
Died: 19 June 1891 Canandaigua, NY
Occupation: Gardner
Place of Birth: Ireland
Fathers Name: David McGOUGH
Mothers Maiden Name: Margaret ........
Place of Birth: Ireland

Cause of Death: Brights Disease
Attending Physician: J.H. JEWETT

Register of Death, Register No. 945
Canandaigua, Ontario, New York

Mary McGOUGH
Age: 73y 9m DOB October 1818
Died: 21 July 1892 Canandaigua, NY
Fathers Name: Joseph WILLSON
Place of Birth: Ireland
Mothers Maiden Name; Margaret ........
Place of Birth: Ireland

Cause of Death: General Exhaustion, (old age)
Attending Physician: J.H. JEWETT

Register of Death, Register No. 4292
Canandaigua, Ontario, New York

George F. McGOUGH
Age: 47y DOB 1861
Died: 6 December 1908 Canandaigua, NY
Fathers Name: David McGOUGH
Place of Birth; Ireland
Mothers Maiden Name: Mary WILLSON
Place of Birth: Ireland

Cause of Death:Lobar Pneumonia
Attending Physician: F A Brockmyer

Register of Death, Register No. 1998
Canandaigua, Ontario, NY

Olive E. McGOUGH
Age: 6y 4m, Born March 4899
Died: 27 July 1905 Canandaigua, NY
Fathers Name: George F McGOUGH
Place of Birth: Canandaigua, NY
Mothers Maiden Name: Anna C. WHITE
Place of Birth: Canandaigua, NY

Cause of Death:Diptheria
Attending Physician: F P WARREN MD

Document received from Surrogate Court, Canandaigua, Ontario, New York
Petition of George F McGOUGH son of the deceased Mary McGOUGH dated July
1892
1. George is listed on Surrogate Court Record as Mary’s son.
2. Hattie V (McGOUGH) SHERWOOD living in Washington DC (my GMother).
3. Alice (McGOUGH) MULLARYEY (Hattie’s sister) Living at the corner of 2nd
Ave and 98th street, New York City, NY.
4. William McGOUGH son, residing at 411 Monroe Ave, Rochester, NY (Wayne
County).
5. Hattie H. JONES, Daughter Residing, Canandaigua, NY (Harriet, b.1847).
6. Maggie E CLARK, Daughter, Residing in Shortsville, NY (Margaret, b.
1856)
7. Joseph H. McGOUGH a son Residing at St Johns (not sure of the word, it
may be Mission, still checking).
8. John McGOUGH (beleaved to be Hattie and Alice’s brother, born about
1868/9) an inmate of Willard Asylumn for the insane, located in Willard,
Seneca County, NY.
9. George McGOUGH a son, his petition.

I have a hand written statement made by George F. McGOUGH and Notarized
by a member of the Court that states that John McGOUGH was in Willard Asylumn
on 19 December 1893, and that he had been there for approximately 12 years
and that he was approximately 25 years old, that makes his date of birth
1868/1869.
The best I can come up with is that his Parents were John and Emma
McGOUGH and that Alice and Hattie were his sisters. I can’t figure out what
happened to him from birth until he was placed in Willard. There is not any
mention of him anywhere and he’s not listed on the 1875 and 1880 Census.

Note: I received the following information from Dianne, a member of the
McGOUGH Mail list: The marriage is from the Ontario City Times paper and is
the date of the paper, not the marriage.
Dec. 11 1878 CLARK Geo W & McGOUGH Maggie E; married in Medina; bothe of
Canandaigua. (note, check Wayne County, she thinks she saw the name
mentioned in that County. (will check)

This thread: