NYORANGE-L Archives

Archiver > NYORANGE > 2008-08 > 1219004375

From: Oliver Popenoe <>
Subject: [NYORANGE] Edsall Family
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 16:19:35 -0400

After many months of search and research, with the help of several Edsall
genealogists, I have completed a 71-page paper: The Edsall Family
(Descendants of Richard Edsall and Hellegonde DeKay in the 18th and 19th
Centuries). It is posted on my website, www.popenoe.com. It makes many
corrections and additions to the previous genealogies by George McCracken,
Robert Cusick Noble and others. Among its highlights:
-- The probable children of John Edsall and Abigail Minthorn: Hannah,
Nathaniel and Peter, and their descendants.
-- The story of Joseph Edsall, son of James Edsall and Charlotte Barton,
about whom McCracken had nothing beyond his revolutionary service. He went
to St. Lawrence County where he was an important person. One of the first
landowners there was Barton Edsall whose background is unknown. Was he
another son of James and Charlotte?
-- I've found them another son, Thomas Edsall, not mentioned in the earlier
genealogies. Read my reasoning and see if you agree.

In due course I will send copies to the Orange County Genealogical Society,
Sussex County Historical Society, and NY Public Library which now has the
30,000 manuscripts of the NYGBS. In the meantime, I welcome corrections from
those of you who have delved into your own line of ancestors more deeply
than I. If you would like the paper version to print out, email me,
, and I will send it to you as an email attachment.

Oliver Popenoe
148 Doral Greens Drive West
Rye Brook, NY 10573

914-939-0985