NYSARATO-L Archives

Archiver > NYSARATO > 2007-01 > 1169677173

From: "Leslie B. Potter" <>
Subject: Re: [NYSARATO] [SPAM] Re: What was "Wilbur's Basin" called in 1777?
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 17:19:33 -0500

The Second Grand Division of the Saratoga Patent divided the land within the
patent into 49 long narrow Great Lotts running from the centerline of the
Hudson River to the boundaries of the patent which were located six miles
inland, on either side of the river.

Great Lotts 1 thought 28, plus the Dovgat, are on the west side of the
Hudson, i.e. present day Saratoga County, NY. Great Lotts 29 through 49
plus another lot similar to Dovgat for which I have not yet found a name,
are located on the east side of the Hudson, i.e. present day Washington
County, NY.

According to the Beers 1866 Topographical Atlas of Saratoga County, the
Quaker Springs Post Office is located in Great Lott 21.

John Freeman's farm, the location of the armed hostilities between the Royal
Army and the Continental Army, was Farm # 3, Great Lott 16. John Freeman
leased Farm # 3, Great Lott 16 from Philip Schuyler on August 2, 1768. So
the area surrounding Freeman's farm is within the boundaries of the Saratoga
National historical Park.