NYSARATO-L Archives

Archiver > NYSARATO > 2008-08 > 1218906374

From: "Leslie B. Potter" <>
Subject: Re: [NYSARATO] Records Ft. Miller, Ft. Edward area-pre-Rev
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 13:06:14 -0400

Nancy,

No one in New York State "owned" their land until 1841. The Province of
New York had a FEUDAL land holding system. This feudal land holding
system is one reason why the Province of New York was not settled at a
greater density earlier in its history. Although New England was
bursting at the seams and the soil was worn out, no self respecting New
Englander wanted to leave New England, where he owned his farm, to
become an 18th century New York version of a medieval surf. The land
patent holders RENTED farms they did not sell them. Around the turn of
the century, after the Rev War, the feudal nature of the New York land
holding system began to start to break down. However, since the land
patent holders did not have fee simple title to their respective land
grants, all they could convey is the interest that they owned in the
land - i.e. something less than a fee simple interest. The law in New
York state is not changed until 1841, thereby permitting "modern" fee
simple ownership.

What I am looking for in late 18th century and early 19th century deeds
are three things:

1. a freehold lease interest in the land being bought and sold;
2. the proprietor's interest being sold subject to a freehold lease; or,
3. the proprietor's interest being sold to the current lease holder,
which extinguished the lease.

So only those tenant farmers to stay in the Saratoga Tax District long
after the Rev War are likely to show up in my research, unless the rent
records of the proprietor, who rented to them, have survived.

I did not find Iram Murray's name in any of my Albany County lists or in
Mac Naughton's book on the Argyle Patent. Moreau was part of
the Kaydarosseras Patent. I have not done any serious title work in the
Kaydarosseras Patent yet. I am still struggling with the Saratoga
Patent and its seven proprietors. However, there is no one named Iram
Murray listed in the Heritage Hunters' Index to the Saratoga County
Grantee Index. There are other men with the surname of Murray listed
around the turn of the 19th century.

According to Colham's book, "American Loyalist Claims", Iram Murray did
not file a claim for losses with the British Government. (Many
Loyalists did not file claims for losses. For a thorough discussion of
American Loyalists, I recommend Wallace Brown's books, "Friends of the
King" and the "Good Americans", which you should be able to get through
interlibrary loan or at a used book store.)

Under list rules, I do not believe that I am permitted to address your
question about the possibility of my publishing my research. For the
answer to that question, please contact me off list.

Leslie