NYWARREN-L Archives

Archiver > NYWARREN > 2000-01 > 0949128957

From: Will Dodge< >
Subject: DODGE & NORRIS
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 23:55:57 -0700

Hi All I'm new to your list,and would like to know if anyone can assist me
in finding source documentation for my NORRIS and DODGE family connection.
I am the Great-Great-Grandson(2GGS) of Willard Harris NORRIS, and have
information, so far, as listed below. I was in Glens Falls in August of 1999
and tok pictures of the graves in Glens Falls Cemetery, but I want to
"flesh-out" the history. As can be seen below, Harry S. DODGE died young,
and his son(my grandfather) also died young, and very little info was passed
down the generational trail, so I have to play "catch-up". If anyone can
assist in this, or point me in the right direction, I would be greatly
appreciative. If anyone needs assistance with DODGE queries on their own
lines, I would be happy to help, as I am a member of the Dodge Family
Association, and owner of the DODGE mailing list.

Willard Norris(We kept the name) Dodge

Generation No. 1

1. WILLARD HARRIS10 NORRIS (WELCOME9, TAYLOR8, SAMUEL7, SAMUEL6, SAMUEL5,
MOSES4, NICHOLAS3, JOHN2, EDWARD1) was born March 05, 1839 in Sutton,
Caledonia County, VT, and died Aft. 1910 in Glens Falls, Warren County, NY.
He married ELLEN MARY HARRIS November 07, 1860, daughter of EPHRAIM HARRIS
and MARGARET LOCKE. She was born June 30, 1836 in Boston, Essex Co., MA,
and died January 30, 1892 in Glens Falls, Warren County, NY.

Notes for WILLARD HARRIS NORRIS:
Family came to Glens Falls around 1850, from Sutton, VT('Genealogy of
Captain John Locke of New Hampshire, page 443)

Owned home - mortgaged(Federal Census 1900, 1910)
Address = 11 Culvert Street, Glens Falls

Manufacturer of carriages for forty years in Glens Falls, NY('Genealogy of
Captain John Locke of New Hampshire, page 443).

More About WILLARD HARRIS NORRIS:
Occupation: 1870 Federal Census, Wagon maker
Occupation #2: Bet. 1880 - 1910 Federal Census, Employer - Shirt Manufacturing

Children of WILLARD NORRIS and ELLEN HARRIS are:
i.ALLIE WILDE11 NORRIS, b. September 25, 1861, Glens Falls, Warren County,
NY; d. August 01, 1891.
ii.EPHRAIM HARRIS NORRIS, b. May 22, 1864, Shoemakerstown, Berks County,
PA; d. Aft. January 27, 1917.

Notes for EPHRAIM HARRIS NORRIS:
1910 Census states place of birth = PA
Lived with father at 11 Culvert Street, Glens Falls, NY - 1910 Census

More About EPHRAIM HARRIS NORRIS:
Occupation #2: 1910, Employer - Shirt Factory

2.iii.EPHRAETTA HARRIS NORRIS, b. May 22, 1864, Shoemakersville, Berks
County, PA; d. December 28, 1937, Glens Falls, Warren County, NY.
iv.ALBERT LOCKE NORRIS, b. May 16, 1867, Glens Falls, Warren County, NY;
d. Aft. January 27, 1917, Northampton, MA.

Notes for ALBERT LOCKE NORRIS:
Albert was a musician in Northampton, MA("Genealogy of Captain John
Locke...page 443)

3.v.ARTHUR KRUM NORRIS, b. May 16, 1867, Glens Falls, Warren County, NY;
d. 1930, Glens Falls, Warren County, NY.

Generation No. 2

2. EPHRAETTA HARRIS11 NORRIS (WILLARD HARRIS10, WELCOME9, TAYLOR8, SAMUEL7,
SAMUEL6, SAMUEL5, MOSES4, NICHOLAS3, JOHN2, EDWARD1) was born May 22, 1864
in Shoemakersville, Berks County, PA, and died December 28, 1937 in Glens
Falls, Warren County, NY. She married HARRY STODDARD DODGE June 03, 1885 in
Glens Falls, Warren County, NY, son of LEROY DODGE and ALMIRA HASTINGS. He
was born October 25, 1859 in Darien, Walworth County, Wisconsin, and died
August 26, 1897.

Notes for EPHRAETTA HARRIS NORRIS:
1870 Census lists place of birth = NY; 1910 lists PA
Married & living with husband, Harry Stoddard Dodge, blacksmith - Source
1892 NY State Census
Widowed prior to 1900 - Source 1900 Census
Lived with father after death of husband (with son, Willard LeRoy until
1907, when he married) - Source 1900, 1910, 1920 Census
Address 1910 - 11 Culvert Street, Glens Falls

Notes for HARRY STODDARD DODGE:
Obituary from Glens Falls Daily Times - Friday Evening - August 27, 1897
"DEATH OF HARRY S. DODGE.
A Resident of This Village Killed at Northampton, Mass.
Harry S. Dodge of Glens Falls died yesterday afternoon(August 26, 1897) at
3 o'clock at Northampton, Mass., as the result of injuries received in
falling from a platform twenty-five feet above the ground. The full details
of the sad accident have not as yet been received in this village.
Mr. Dodge had for several months been employed at Northampton by the Boston
and Maine Railroad Co. and yesterday while performing his duties fell from a
platform to the ground below striking on the railroad tracks, and death soon
followed.
The remains will be brought to Glens Falls this evening, accompanied by A.
L. Norris of Northampton, a brother-in-law of the deceasesd. The funeral
will be held tomorrow afternoon at 2:30 o'clock from the residence of Mrs.
Dodge's father, W.H. Norris, 11 Culvert Street.
The deceased is survived by his wife and one son, who are at present at the
home of Mrs. Dodge's father, and by his father, LeRoy Dodge; two brothers,
Charles and LeRoy, Jr., and one sister, Miss Grace Dodge, all of Sandy Hill."

This thread: