NZ-HAWKES-BAY-N-POVERTY-BAY-L Archives

Archiver > NZ-HAWKES-BAY-N-POVERTY-BAY > 2003-01 > 1041731304

From: "Elaine Mattsen" <>
Subject: [HB-PB] Papers Past 7th Jan 1888.doc
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 14:48:24 +1300

Papers Past 7th Jan 1888
Shipwreck and loss of life- ship LIVERPOOL put in at ther Cape for repairs and to land 8 men, the only survivors of the British ship INCH KENNETH,(Capt. J.E. HILLMAN, master, the first and second mate, and eleven men, was capsized three times, and five of these men were drowned.) which capsized on the 23rd Sept, in lat 34.51s., long.24.34 e. The day after leaving William HUNTER fell overboard and was drowned. Full details of voyage will be provided upon request.

*
Note to listers- Underneath is the full passenger list of the Ship with details of Reference details on bottom of passenger list. I have it in full because of my personal interest in this voyage.

**Also coming up in newspaper is the full court Transcription. This is a very extensive article and goes to three to four full pages. So what I aim to do is publish names of the passengers who took court action- These were the passengers on this ship and I will then look up the relevant details for that person.

The Pilot KRAEFT took off another boat load of fresh provisions to the quarantined ship Renfrewshire on Saturday afternoon, and placed them on a platform lowered for the occasion. The Pilot KRAEFT informed our reporter that there were no fresh cases of sickness on board, and it is most likely that when the Commissioners go out this morning in the Fairy the ship will be allowed a clean bill of health. Signals were exchanged on Saturday between the Immigration Officer and the ship; the ship, in answer to the question regarding the health of the immigrants, signalled "all well." The Renfreshire has got 900 tons of cargo on board, 300 for Napier, and 600 for Wellington, where she will proceed on her landing the Napier portion.

Renfrewshire Passenger List

Renfrewshire
Ship: 898 tons
Captain: Beattie
Surgeon Superintendent:
Sailed London September 29th 1877 - arrived Hawke's Bay 4th January 1878
The vessel was placed in quarantine on account of scarlet fever having broken out. Later she proceeded to Wellington arriving there on February 13th.
Name
Age
County
Occupation
Families and Children
Bailey
Ralph
37
Durham
Joiner

Margaret
36

Margaret A.
15
Trans to s/w

Elizabeth M.
11

Sarah A.
8

Emeline
6

Edith A.
3

Barber
Albert J.
30
Lincolnshire
Farm Labourer

Kate
23

Batten
William
28
Surrey
Bricklayer

Louisa
34

Berry
John
43
Devon
Carpenter

Perinah
42

John Henry
16
Trans to s/m

James
11

Phillip Y.
7

Bishop
John
27
Sussex
Farm Labourer

Caroline
21

Bosanks
Thomas
36
Cornwall
Farm Labourer

Elizabeth
29

Edward
12
Trans to s/m

Bessie
6

Curtis
John
33
Cornwall
Farm Labourer

Elizabeth
22

John H.
18 mths

Dorrington
Frederick
27
Glostershire
Farm Labourer

Mary
25

Annie
7

Frederick
3

William
9 mths

Evans
Frederick
27
Glostershire
Farm Labourer

Emma
27

Alfred
2

Thomas H.
1

German
James
28
Cornwall
Farm Labourer

Mary A.
27

Albert E.
7

Mary G.
3

Annie
1

Howe
Alfred
35
Norfolk
Carpenter

Ann P.
35

Alfred C.
15
Trans to s/m

Arthur G.
13
Trans to s/m

Walter E.
10

Florence
7

Edith
6

Jensen
Niels
25
Denmark
Farm Labourer

Pehine
27

Jenet L.
1

Ole M.
16
Trans to s/m

King
Charles B.
29

Emily
25

Mary
7

Harold
7 mths

Lynch
William
23
Surrey
Gardener

Eliza
29

Madder
William
26
Norfolk
Bricklayer

Lucy
26

Hannah
4

Hephezebah
18 mths

Mist
Vince
34
Hants
Farm Labourer

Mary A.
33

Emily
9

Mary A.
1

Morris
George
34
Glostershire
Farm Labourer

Anne
30

Ellen
7

Lucy
2

Murphy
Thomas
27
Wexford
Farm Labourer

Anne
20

Neal
James
33
Tipperary
Farm Labourer

Mary
29

Mary
5

Bridget
3

Edmond
1

Oats
Moses
30
Cornwall
Farm Labourer

Judith
28

William James
1

Oats
James
32
Cornwall
Farm Labourer

Margaret
32

Elizabeth Jane
7

Mary A.
4

Anne N.
18 mths

Oliver
William
28
Durham
Joiner

Hannah J.
26

William
2

Robert
11 mths

Paramore
Samuel
27
Somerset
General Labourer

Mary A.
29

Pringle
George
43
Durham
Joiner

Ann
42

Ritchards
John
35
Glostershire
Farm Labourer

Jane
31

Elizabeth
11

John James
3

Arthur
1

Simmonds
Charles
28
Stafford
Iron Moulder

Caroline
24

Wallace
4

Nellie
2

Elizabeth
1

Smith
John
25
Glostershire
Farm Labourer

Henrietta
30

Hester J.
11

Frances E.
7

Stokes
William
36
Shropshire
Farm Labourer

Fanny
29

Samuel
6

Eada
1

Webb
George
30
Hants
Carter

Jane
31

Rose
8

Wells
Francis
24
Glostershire
Farm Labourer

Elizabeth A.
23

Florence
1

Single Men
Balsillie
John
26
Fife
Farm Labourer
Berry
John H.
16
Devon

Bluitt
Patrick
24
Cork
Farm Labourer
Bosanks
Edward H.
12
Cornwall

Bright
Joseph
24
Salop
Bricklayer
Burgess
Richard Henry
19
Cornwall
Farm Labourer

Thomas
21
Cornwall
Farm Labourer
Casey
Micheal
20
Cork
Farm Labourer
Casley
John
21
Cornwall
Farm Labourer
Coleman
William
22
Devon
Farm Labourer
Collins
Michael-see note below
22
Limerick
Farm Labourer

Cornelius-see notes below
19
Limerick
Farm Labourer
Connell
James
19
Tipperary
Farm Labourer
Connolly
John
22
Tipperary
Farm Labourer
Connor
William
29
Wexford
Bricklayer
Condon
Timothy
22
Cork
Farm Labourer
Conway
Thomas
23
Tipperary
Farm Labourer
Donovan
John
19
Tyrone
Farm Labourer
Howe
Alfred C.
15
Norfolk

Arthur G.
13
Norfolk

Egan
John
17
Somerset
Farm Labourer
Fitzgerald
Ganett
21
Cork
Farm Labourer
Forman
Henry
20
Middlesex
Farm Labourer
Gillins
John
21
Montgomery
Blacksmith
Haley
William
27
Cork
Farm Labourer
Hardoe
William
21
Shropshire
Farm Labourer
Harvey
John
29
Cornwall
Farm Labourer
Holloway
William
18
Glamorganshire
Farm Labourer
Irwin
John
20
Kerry
Farm Labourer

Micheal
19
Kerry
Farm Labourer
Jones
William
20
Gloucester
Carpenter
Kenschel
Charles
24
Germany
Shepherd
Killeen
James
23
Kings
Carpenter
King
Thomas
21
Cork
Farm Labourer
Lewis
John
23
Monmouth
Farm Labourer
McLernon
Joseph
21
Londonderry
Farm Labourer
Murphy
Micheal
29
Waterford
Farm Labourer
O'Connell
Patrick
20
Tipperary
Farm Labourer
O'Hara
John
21
Antrim
Farm Labourer
Parry
John W.
24
Montgomery
Carpenter
Power
John
24
Limerick
Shepherd
Seaward
Thomas
22
Hants
Farm Labourer
Sharp
Charles
20
Cornwall
Farm Labourer
St. John
Daniel
20
Tipperary
Farm Labourer
Tanner
W.
24
Glostershire
Farm Labourer
Thorton
James
21
Cork
Labourer
Wallace
Bartholomew
18
Tipperary
Labourer
Colonial nominated single men.
Harwood
James
19
Northampton
General Labourer
Jensen
Ole M.
16
Denmark
Farm Labourer
Trevelyan
Francis
20
Cornwall
General Labourer
Single women
Ball
Bridget
17
Dublin
Housemaid
Bailey
Margaret A.
15
Durham
Servant
Bessicks
Elizabeth
19
Glostershire
Servant
Bonnor
Ann
30
Middlesex
General Servant
Bride
Nora
25
Cork
Dairymaid
Butler
Mary A.
20
Warwickshire
Housemaid
Carmarthen
Alberta
22
Middlesex
General Servant
Casey
Margaret
19
Tyrone
General Servant
Chapman
Emma
22
Hants
General Servant

Charlotte E.
24
Hants
Housemaid
Connor
Deborah
17
Tyrone
General Servant
Connor
Mary
16
Tyrone
General Servant
Donovn
Ellen
17
Tyrone
General Servant
Downs
Kate A.
23
Cheshire
General Servant
Game
Selina
24
Dorset
Cook
George
Catherine
23
Monmouthshire
Cook
George
Susan
17
Glostershire
Housemaid
Harrington
Deberah
29
Tyrone
General Servant
Howard
Mary
17
Limrick
Housemaid
Jenkins
Letitia A.
19
Glostershire
Housemaid
Kennen
Maria
22
Cheshire
General Servant
Mansfield
Ellen
19
Hants
General Servant
McCarthy
Mary
18
Tyrone
General Servant

Eliza
20
Hants
General Servant
Moriarty
Mary
18
Tyrone
General Servant
Murphy
Nora
20
Cork
Dairymaid

Hannah
22
Cork
Dairymaid
O'Connell
Kate
24
Kerry
General Servant
Parsons
Ellen J.
20
Middlesex
General Servant
Poule
Isabella
23
Lanarkshire
General Servant
Price
Emma
24
Northumberland
Housemaid
Radburn
Martha
17
Staffordshire
General Servant
Reed
Charlotte R.
24
Surrey
General Servant
Richards
Jane
30
Hants
Nurse
Roberts
Elizabeth
21
Cornwall
General Servant
Ryan
Catherine
21
Tipperary
General Servant
Sindell
Mary A.
21
cambridge
General Servant
Smith
Annie
18
Glostershire
General servant
Smith
Rose
20
Middlesex
Nurse
Stevens
Mary A.
24
Somerset
General Servant
Sullivan
Bridget
17
Tyrone
General Servant

Mary
17
Tipperary
General Servant
Thomas
Annie C.
20
Middlesex
General Servant
Ward
Annie E.
18
Lincoln
General Servant
White
Jane
65
Durham

Colonial nomination single women
Fogarty
Mary
22
Tipperary
General Servant
Trevelyan
Harriet
45
Cornwall

Agnes
18
Cornwall
Servant

Cornelius COLLINS:
Cornelius arrived in Hawkes Bay on January 4th 1878 along with his brother Michael. He married Annie Beatty(ie) who was also from Ireland. His wife died in childbirth on May 3rd 1907 and Cornelius died on January 1st 1930. They are both buried at the old Taradale Cemetery along with one of their sons, George Elias Collins, who was 21 years old on March 1st 1910. Ann (a stillborn child) is also there. They had a total of at least 8 children, one of whom was my Grandfather, James Joseph Collins.
Michael COLLINS - wife Mary COLLINS died in the Napier 1931 earthquake.
Anyone interested in family connection please contact Elaine-

Reference:
Archives New Zealand IM15/306

This thread: