NewBrunswick-L Archives

Archiver > NewBrunswick > 2005-06 > 1119290585

From: (Donald Colpitts)
Subject: WILLIAM (L) COLPITTS
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 14:03:05 -0400

Hi List:
Once again I'm trying to find the parents of William (L) Colpitts. He
would have been born in Hillsborough or Coverdale, Co. NB., sometime
between 1825-1831.

William (L) was living in Hillsborough in the 1871 Census with his wife,
Mary Jane (CROSSMAN) Colpitts, and their son James Oscar Colpitts.

In 1881 Census, he was still with his family, Mary Jane, sons, Jame
Oscar, Howard Judson & John Wetmore Colpitts.

The street directory of 1889, shows "Colpitts, Mrs. Wm, home at 10
Telegraph St., Moncton."

The 1891 Census, Mary and the boys were living in Moncton, NB. William
(L) was not living with them.

The 1896 Moncton directory shows that Mary Jane as, "Colpitts, Mary J.,
WIDOW, William (L)
home on Queen Street, Moncton. She died in Moncton on 8 Sept. 1899.

William (L) Colpitts was still living on 13 May 1890, when he sold a
Crown Land Grant in Elgin on that date. So he must have died between
1890 and 1896, when Mary Jane was listed as a widow.

Two of William (L) and Mary Jane's children,
James Oscar & John Wetmore Colpitts,
death certificates list William (L) as born in "Little River, Albert
Co., NB."

Some data on the web list William (L) as the son of Lazarus & Jane
(Steeves) Colpitts, but that has been proved as faults.

I have searched the archives on line, and find no listing of births or
deaths of William (L) & Mary J. Colpitts.

Please help me find the connection between William (L) Colpitts and his
parents.

Thank you for any assistance you can give me.

Don
In Lynn, MA.

This thread: