OBITUARIES-L Archives

Archiver > OBITUARIES > 2008-08 > 1218910749

From: ,
Subject: [OBITS] Elizabeth Hulette aka Miss Elizabeth (Died May 1, 2003)
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 18:19:09 -0000

Author: cantorjoeocho
Surnames: Hulette,Savage
Classification: obituary

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/topics.obits2/12113/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

Miss Elizabeth dies

Elizabeth Hulette, known as Miss Elizabeth by wrestling fans.

Elizabeth Hulette, known as Miss Elizabeth to wrestling fans, was pronounced dead at the Kennestone Hospital in Cobb County, Georgia at 5:45 Thursday morning. Huelette was 42.

WBS-TV in Atlanta reported that emergency workers were called to a townhouse owned by Lawrence Pfohl (pro wrestler Lex Luger). Pfohl then accompanied the medical personnel as they transported Hulette to hospital. Hulette died shortly after she arrived.

Pfohl was questioned about the death and initially released. He has since been charged by Cobb County for possesion of a controlled substance and is in custody.

"At this point, we don't know if it's a suicide, we don't know if it's a natural death (and) we don't know if it's a homicide," Cobb police spokesman Cpl. Brody Staud told WBS-TV.

Local police confirm that they responded to a domestic disturbance call at the location on Easter Sunday. WSB-TV reported that the police report said that Pfohl was arrested for allegedly beating Hulette, and that he was out on a $2,500 bond in connection with that incident.

It could be over a month until toxicology reports reveal what killed Hulette. Foul play has been ruled out.

Described by many as the "First Lady" of professional wrestling, Hulette was a major name in WWF during the 1980s as the manager of her real-life husband at the time, Randy "Macho Man" Savage. Savage and Hulette joined the WWF in 1985.

On his website, Savage posted a short message. "I am deeply saddened by this news, and our thoughts and prayers are with Elizabeth's family," he wrote.

The Kentucky-born Hulette met Savage in a gym, and worked with the Poffo family's International Championship Wrestling for a time. The family patriach, Angelo Poffo, shared a quick memory with SLAM! Wrestling. "She was a hard worker, she worked hard," said Poffo. "She took a lot of chances in the ring and a lot of dangerous bumps." He hasn't spoken with her since her divorce from Randy.

At her peak in the WWF, Hulette was so recognizable and popular that she was the focus of many major WWF storylines during the wrestling boom. Many of the angles revolved around the pair's off-again, on-again love affair. Savage even proposed to Hulette on a WWE television broadcast in 1992 and married her at the SummerSlam pay-per-view even though the pair were really married in 1984. An episode of Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous was even filmed about the pair.

James Myers, known better to fans as the wrestler George "The Animal" Steele, was saddened to hear the news of Hulette's death when contacted by SLAM! Wrestling. Myers, who worked an unforgettable "crush" angle with Savage and Hulette in the eighties, remembered her as wonderful woman and hoped that her death would bring about some positive change.

"I had nothing but respect for her. I think she carried herself in a very respectful way during the years I knew her," he said. "It's sad to see a person that young die," Myers continued. "It's such a waste. Maybe these (recent wrestling-related) deaths start opening some eyes and change some lifestyles. Maybe it's not all in vain."

James Harris worked as Kamala in the WWF, and knew Huelette there. "She was always nice and quiet," said Harris. "She stayed to herself, I guess it was because she was with Randy all of the time. I never saw her take a drink, so it's all pretty shocking to me. I could never say a bad thing about her."

Hulette divorced Savage in 1992. After leaving the WWE and disappearing from the wrestling scene, Hulette returned briefly to World Championship Wrestling in 1995 to join the red hot nWo and worked with Savage once again.

She even worked a wrestling match in WCW, a brief encounter with the late Rhonda Sing.

Luger had a decent football career, including time under coach Marv Levy with the Montreal Alouettes of the late 1970s. He got involved in pro wrestling in the mid-'80s in Florida and rose to prominence in Florida Championship Wrestling.

A hot, young prospect, he was brought into World Championship Wrestling and quickly made a part of the heel stable, The Four Horsemen. He jumped to the WWF and Vince McMahon's World Bodybuilding Federation. At first he was a narcisstic heel, but surprised many by turning good and feuding with Yokozuna.

He was one of the early big-names to jump back to WCW during the peak of the Monday night wars, and was with the company until its purchase by the WWE.

Pfohl owns the Main Event gym in Cobb County.

WHAT CAUSED THE DEATH OF MISS ELIZABETH?

Elizabeth Hulette (known to wrestling fans as "Miss Elizabeth") had been drinking vodka and taking painkillers for back pain the night of her death, media outlets in Georgia are reporting.

Police reports state the Hulette began gurgling after sitting down for meal with Lawrence Pfohl (wrestler Lex Luger) at his Cobb County townhouse and died shortly thereafter.

According to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Pfohl made a frantic 911 call when Hulette passed out and he couldn't revive her. Police say Pfohl saw Hulette choking and tried to unblock her airway. Operators instructed Pfohl on how to give CPR to Hulette over the phone. Pfohl did and replied that Hulette's chest was not moving and he had heard more gurgling. Pfohl told police that Hulette had only had two glasses of vodka that night. Hulette was 42.

Hulette was taken to WellStar Kennestone Hospital where she was pronounced dead. An autopsy report released by the Cobb County Medical Examiner described the results as inconclusive. Law enforcement officials do not suspect foul play. Blood and tissue samples have been sent to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation for analysis and toxicology tests but it may take months to know the results.

While probing Hulette's death, police found a controlled substance in Pfohl's townhouse and arrested him. That the substance in question was identified by investigators as "a large quantities of anabolic steroids". Police also found such drugs as Xanex, testosterone and hydrocodone. Pfohl was charged with 13 counts of felony purchase, possession of a controlled substance, one misdemeanor count of possession, sale and distribution of a drug called Saizen, a synthetic growth hormone. Pfohl posted a $25,000 bond and was released by police.

Pfohl owns the Main Event gym in Cobb County.

Local police had responded to a domestic disturbance at Pfohl's home on Easter Sunday. Pfohl was charged with battery and was released on a $2,500 bond at the time. Pfohl was accused of punching Hulette in the face.

AUTOPSY RESULTS INCONCLUSIVE

Police in Cobb Country, Georgia, are still not sure how eighties wrestling star Miss Elizabeth died Thursday morning. According to WSB-TV, an autopsy report released by the Cobb County Medical Examiner described the results as inconclusive.

"We don't have anything right now that shows there's a clear-cut cause of death," Hal Bennett, a forensic investigator for the Cobb County medical examiner told WBS-TV Friday. Law enforcement officials do not suspect foul play. Blood and tissue samples have been sent to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation for analysis and toxicology tests but it may take months to know the results.

While probing Hulette's death, police found a controlled substance in Pfohl's townhouse and arrested him. WSB-TV reports that the substance in question was identified by investigators as "a large quantities of anabolic steroids". Police also found such drugs as Xanex, testosterone and hydrocodone. Pfohl was charged with 13 counts of felony purchase, possession of a controlled substance, one misdemeanor count of possession, sale and distribution of a drug called Saizen, a synthetic growth hormone. Pfohl posted a $25,000 bond and was released by police early Friday.

Elizabeth Hulette (Miss Elizabeth) was described as "gravely ill" when she was rushed to hospital early Thursday morning after a call to emergency workers was placed by Pfohl from his home. Hulette died shortly after arriving at Kennestone Hospital. Hulette was 42.

Local police had responded to a domestic disturbance at Pfohl's home on Easter Sunday. Pfohl was charged with battery and was released on a $2,500 bond at the time. Pfohl was accused of punching Hulette in the face.

Described by many as the "First Lady" of professional wrestling, Hulette was a major name in WWF during the 1980s as the manager of her real-life husband at the time, Randy "Macho Man" Savage. Savage and Hulette joined the WWF in 1985.

On his website, Savage posted a short message yesterday. "I am deeply saddened by this news, and our thoughts and prayers are with Elizabeth's family," he wrote.

The WWE posted a message expressing their remorse over Hulette's death today. "We are saddened to hear of the death of Elizabeth Hulette. Miss Hulette played the very popular character of Miss Elizabeth in WWE from 1985 to 1992. She finished her career at WCW, from Jan. 1996 through Jan. 1999. We at WWE send our sincere condolences to Miss Hulette's family," read the statement.

James Myers, known better to fans as the wrestler George 'The Animal' Steele, was saddened to hear the news of Hulette's death when contacted by SLAM! Wrestling. Myers, who worked an unforgettable "crush" angle with Savage and Hulette in the eighties, remembered her as wonderful woman and hoped that her death would bring about some positive change.

"I had nothing but respect for her. I think she carried herself in a very respectful way during the years I knew her," he said. "It's sad to see a person that young die," Myers continued. "It's such a waste. Maybe these (recent wrestling-related) deaths start opening some eyes and change some lifestyles. Maybe it's not all in vain."

The Kentucky-born Hulette met Savage in a gym, and worked with the Poffo family's International Championship Wrestling for a time. The family patriarch, Angelo Poffo, shared a quick memory with SLAM! Wrestling. "She was a hard worker, she worked hard," said Poffo. "She took a lot of chances in the ring and a lot of dangerous bumps." He hasn't spoken with her since her divorce from Randy.

At her peak in the WWF, Hulette was so recognizable and popular that she was the focus of many major WWF storylines during the wrestling boom. Many of the angles revolved around the pair's off-again, on-again love affair. Savage even proposed to Hulette on a WWE television broadcast in 1992 and married her at the SummerSlam pay-per-view even though the pair were really married in 1984. An episode of Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous was even filmed about the pair.

'I feel almost like Cinderella': 1988 Miss Elizabeth interview
This story originally ran in 1988.

She's the No. fan of wrestler Randy Savage.

Meet the lovely and luscious Miss Elizabeth, manager of the once hated and now beloved world wrestling heavyweight champ, Randy "Macho Man" Savage.

She's the lady who leads the rough 'n' ready Savage into a ring of wrestling pandemonium.

In strapless, low-cut, body-hugging gowns and sexy stiletto heels, Elizabeth cheers on her fighting knight and she's the winner at every main event.

Two weeks ago in Atlantic City they crowned Savage the new heavyweight champion. In a final disputed battle between good and evil, Savage took a pounding.

The ever so faithful Miss Elizabeth ran for help and came back with former champ Hulk Hogan in tow. In front of 20,000 people -- and 12 million on closed-circuit TV -- Hulk helped Savage to the WWF title.

"Everything turned out for the best," Elizabeth told the Sun from her home in Largo, Fla.

"Having Andre the Giant in (bad guy opponent) Ted DiBiase's corner started to make things a little unfair but everything was handled the right way."

Miss Elizabeth has been credited with helping Savage win the WWF gold belt -- proof that beauty and brains go a long way. With her deliciously designed outfits and her breathtaking beauty she's become a modern day heroine.

Elizabeth's teaming with Savage is a fairy tale come true.

"I feel almost like Cinderella. It's wonderful and I never thought it would happen to me," Elizabeth bubbled.

"It's very exciting and I just love it," she said. "Travelling is enjoyable, especially in areas where the people are friendly.

"I've always enjoyed Toronto, as a matter of fact, because the people are wonderful."

While working out in a fitness centre, the Macho Man flexed his way over to the petite 5-foot-4 Elizabeth and asked "if I cared to get involved.

"Randy was looking for a manager at the time and he was not interested in someone who managed other wrestlers, and he certainly didn't need any help with his wrestling ability, just someone who would concentrate on him and just manage his affairs."

Miss Elizabeth said Savage, who she's managed for three years, is "just coming full circle in his career now and everything about him is changing."

But it wasn't always a bed of roses. During Savage's earlier reign of rasslin' terror he lived up to his Macho image with public threats of abuse at Elizabeth. At one point an American feminist group condemned Savage for setting a bad example for young people.

But things changed in recent months, and Savage won fans with a new chivalrous attitude toward Elizabeth.

Even though Savage is now on her side, Elizabeth still has to cope with the other beefy brutes who populate wrestling.

"It's pretty intimidating, no doubt about it, especially when you're standing across from Andre the Giant," she says of her man's 7-foot-4, 500-lb. enemy.

But it's something I can't describe because when I'm there it feels like the right place to be -- that's how much I enjoy it. I just feel very strongly that this is a good choice for me.

"It's more for me to be with Randy, it's not just the wrestling itself. So I guess it's not that intimidating if I don't want to shy away from it."

Elizabeth, who doesn't keep track of her weight or womanly measurements, follows a regimen of workouts designed by Randy -- and plenty of tanning.

"Randy has me involved in some very light weights with several repititions so that I keep myself toned," she said.

Would she ever don wrestling tights and take charge in the ring?

"It's not for me," she said with a sigh.

But to everyone's delight we get to see the perfectly packaged Miss Elizabeth in a showcase of beautifully assembled clothes. At WrestleMania IV she wore four eye-popping dresses -- and a fift for an untelevised press conference -- prompting someone to crack that it's a good thing Randy won so he can afford to pay for her elegance.

And her stylish star is rising thanks to the help of Detroit-based clothing scout Sue Marudas.

"Over the last few years it's been hard to do the shopping myself," Elizabeth said. "Randy likes to be a part of it and it's hard for him to go out in public in a situation like that.

"Sue introduced herself to me a couple of times and asked if I would be interested in her shopping for me. She models and represents several boutiques in the area and I said we'll give it a try," she said. "We either meet or she sends me a selection and I pick through and take what I like and send back what I don't.

"It's worked out so good for me that I've been doing it for a little over a year now."

Elizabeth loved the Sun's suggested that a savvy fashion house might choose her to promote its fashions.

Born and raised in Kentucky, Elizabeth was finishing off her general education in school and planned to study nursing. Her mother and father and older brother (a computer programmer) still live in Kentucky and are as proud as punch over their precious Elizabeth.

"My family is pretty excited about my career and they probably get as much out of it as I do."

Elizabeth is excited about having her own family and says: "I look forward to that and want to raise a few kids myself."

Little wrestling tykes, perhaps?

And the whole world wants to know about her relationship with the Macho Man.

"Well, that's just something I pretty much have to leave at no comment."

Little angel of wrestling
Miss Elizabeth was one of the most genuine ladies the business ever saw

Miss Elizabeth

Miss Elizabeth was a flower among the weeds.

She died Thursday morning in Cobb County, Ga., of causes yet to be determined.

She was 42.

To wrestling fans, Liz is best remembered as the prim and proper manager/valet of her real-life husband, Randy "Macho Man" Savage.

Not to take anything away from Randy but I'm sure he'd agree Elizabeth's classy appeal had no small part in his rise to the top.

Away from the spotlight, the real Liz was very much like the character she played.

She was shy and quiet and her elegant grace was easy on the eyes.

She and Randy were great together and had already been married for years before their live-on-pay-per-view wedding at Summerslam '91.

Even though it was part of the storyline, it was obvious to anyone backstage the ceremony was very real to Liz, who looked at it as renewing their vows and was emotional and beaming.

About a year later, insiders in the wrestling world were shocked when Randy and Liz divorced. The fans found out a few years later when the split was presented as part of a storyline.

I remember envying Randy for being able to bring his wife on the road all the time but, in hindsight, it seems to me anyway, that never being out of each other's sight probably contributed to the demise of their fairy-tale romance more than anything else.

When my kids were young and I brought them on the road with me, Liz would often graciously offer to watch them while I had to work.

When my oldest daughter, Jade, now 20, was still in single digits, she idolized Liz and enjoyed getting all dolled up like her.

One thing that shouldn't be overlooked about Liz is that when the wrestling business slid into sleaze in the late '90s, she remained a lady.

She was more than deserving of the moniker First Lady of Wrestling -- which, in no small irony, was also the title given to my mother by fans and wrestlers alike.

Both my mother and Miss Elizabeth somehow managed to stay true to themselves, civilized and polished, sharp and articulate, even though they were constantly surrounded by ruffians and chaos.

I don't recall ever seeing Liz in a bad mood.

She was always courteous and polite and never ever developed a trace of a prima- donna attitude. She never walked around with her nose in the air thinking she was bigger than the wrestlers, even though for a time she was, unlike most of the women who came up after her.

When I arrived in WCW in December of 1997, I was pleasantly surprised to find Liz there, managing Lex Luger.

One of my last conversations with her was in the spring of 1999, shortly after my brother Owen died.

She sensed my heartache as she gently told me after watching me for all these years, she just wanted to thank me -- for what, I wasn't sure.

But she went on to say I was her favourite and, although she didn't pretend to be an expert, she said she'd seen with her own eyes how hard I'd worked -- for everybody in the dressing room -- year after year.

She said she wanted me to know how truly sorry she was things had turned out so dark for me at the end and I deserved so much better.

She gave me a sincere hug and, over the years, her kind praise has meant so much more to me than she will ever know.

Miss Elizabeth was my friend.

I loved her dearly and will miss her dearly. I only wish I'd have told her how very much she meant to me, too.

All those wrestlers in heaven will have to part and make way for the little angel of wrestling.

Important Note: