ODEN-L ArchivesArchiver > ODEN > 2000-03 > 0953538518
From: jean boutcher <>
Subject: Marriage Records & Odens Being Identified Through Wills
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 02:48:38 EST
1. Francis Oden to Elizabeth Cave, 1713. Elizabeth was
daughter of John & Elizabeth Cave. Source: Charles Co.
Maryland Marriage Records by George Martin, 1943.
2. Gerrard ?Oceane to Lydia Dutton, 1720. Ibid.
3. Francis Oden to Susanna_______. His will, recorded
on January 4, 1772, in Calverton, Charles Co. Md.,
mentions four sons and four daughters: Jonathan, Elias,
Vincent, Michael, Mary, Rebecca, Priscilla, and Susannah.
It also mentions a grandson, Josiah Etep. Source: Hall of
Records, Md. State Archives, Annapolis, Md.
[4. Michael Oden, who died before 1766, to Elizabeth
-----------. Tertiary source: Info. per Curtis Oden whose
address I have misplaced.]
5. Elioner Odean / Oden to John Durbin, Dec. 13, 1743,
Harford Co. Md. Source: St. John's Parish, Pr. Geo. Co.
Md. [ Secondary source: LDS.]
6. Thomas Oden to Sarah_______ by whom he had a
daughter, Frances Ann Oden, born May 12, 1751, St.
John's Parish, Pr. Geo. Co. Md. [ now Montgomery Co.
Md.] [Secondary source: LDS]
7. Jonathan Oden to Elizabeth________by whom he had
a male infant baptized in 1767, St. barnabus Church,
Queen Anne Parish. Prince George's Co. Md.
[Secondary source: LDS].
8. Elias Oden, Charles Co. Md., to Catherine Brightwell,
before 1761. The will of Catherine's father, John
Brightwell, Sr. of Prince George's County, Maryland,
mentions Verlindo Oden as daughter of his daughter,
Catharine (Brightwell) Oden. Sources: Hall of Records,
Maryland State Archives, Annapolis, Maryland, and
Montgomery Historical Society file.
9. David John Oden, best known as John Oden, who was
born in 1726 and died in 1799, to Rachel______ before
1755. He had nine children: Gerrard Oden, Nathan Oden,
Josiah Oden, Elizabeth Oden, Darley Oden, Lydia Oden,
Tabitha Oden, mary Ann Oden, and Rebecca Oden.
David's will was proven on May 19, 1796. His wife
Rachel died ion 1800. Source: Montgomery Historical
10. Widowed by Jonathan Oden [see #7], Mrs. Elizabeth
Oden was married after 1767 to Alexander Duvall. Letter
from Ms. Margaret Neal, librarian of Maryland Historical
Society, Baltimore, Maryland. Alexander was son of
Mareen and Ruth Howard Duvall. Alexander Duvall was
born July 10, 1729 and died in 1818. Info. per Ms. Neal.
11. Thomas Oden to Martha________, Charles Co. Md.,
before 1770. His name appears in Maryland Tax in 1778.
Thereafter, he removed to Loudoun Co., Va. with his
family. [Unsourced -- a letter from an Oden descendant.]
12. Nathan Oden (Nathaniel Oden) of Montgomery Co.
Maryland, to Anne Norfut [probably Offutt or Norfleet] in
Mont. co. Md., September 24, 1778. Source: Maryland
Marriages: 1778-1800 by Barnes, [1978, p. 169. Nathan
was son of David John and Rachel Oden. [Returns
by Rev. Threlkeld.]
13. Vincent Oden, who died before 1779, to Sarah_____.
Mrs. Vincent Oden was married to Benjamin Odgen.
Source: Henry Ogden, Editor of the Ogden-Oden
14. Tabitha Oden, daughter of David John Oden, to
Samuel Carter before 1773, Montgomery County Tax;
Source: David John Oden's will, 1796, which mentions
Tabitha. Hall of Records, Md. State Archives, Annapolis,
15. Rebecca Oden, daughter of David John Oden, to
Henry Allison before 1773. Ibid.
16. Sarah Biggs Oden to Edward Loyd Wailes, March
22, 1780, Prince George's Co. Md. Source: Md. Historical
Society, Baltimore, Md.
17. Susannah Oden, sister of Benjamin Oden, Esquire, to
Benjamin Hodges, February 6, 1787, Prince George's
co. Md. They removed to Cinthiania, Harrison Co. Kentucky,
before 1806. Susannah died there in 1834. Source:
Oden Papers, unpublished, Md. Historical Society,
18. Benjamin Oden, Esq., born 1762, to Rachel Sophia
West, daughter of Stephen West, Esquire, January 25,
1790, Prince George's Co. Md. Ibid.
19. Johannes Odenwald, to Elizabeth____by whom he had
a daughter, Catherine Odenwald, baptized Hagerstown
Reformed Congregation, Hagerstown, Washington Co.
Maryland, June 15, 1794. Source: Hagerstown Reformed
20. Eleanor Oden of Frederick Co. Md., to Calvert Williams
of Prince Geo. Co. Md. Dec. 20, 1794. Source: Md.
Historical Society file.
21. Hannah Oden, daughter of Benjamin Oden, Esq., to
Mr. Calvert, undated. Oden Papers, unpublished, Md.
Historical Society, Baltimore, Md.
22, Michael or Mitchell Oden, probably son of Francis Oden,
to Sarah Estep, March 21, 1796, Prince Geo's Co, Md.
Source: Md. Historical Society file.
23. Priscilla Oden, probably daughter of Francis and
Susannah Oden, to John Campbell, Dec. 30, 1798,
Montgomery Co. Md. Ibid.
24. Tabitha Oden, to John Nicholson, Mont. Co., April 11,
1799. [ See the Last Will of John Nicholson / Nicolus.]
Sources: Montgomery County Judical Court House,
Rockville, Md. and Maryland Historical Society file.
Also, see #31. Was Elizabeth Nicholson, who
married Zacharian Oden in 1844, daughter of John
Nicholson and Tabitha Oden (see #54)?
25.Nathan Odam/Odem/Oean (surname illegible) to
Betsey Clarke, May 24, 1800, Mont. Co. Md. Source:
Mont. co. Judical Court House., Rockville, Md.
26. Lydia Oden to William Pelly, Nov. 26, 1800.
Source: Mont. Co. Marriage Licenses, 1798-1875.
27. Sarah Oden to Laurence O. Holt, Jan. 12, 1802,
Prince Geo. Co. Md. Source: Md. Historical Society file,
Baltimore, Md. See #28. Same persons.
28. Sarah Oden to Laurence Holly, Jan. 12, 1802.
Source: Mont. Co. Marriage Licenses: 1798-1875.
See #27. Same persons.
29. Thomas Oden to Elizabeth Lloyd, Frederick Co. Md.,
June 1, 1805. Source: Henry Ogden, Editor of The
30. Hannah Sophia Oden to George W. Biscoe (Briscoe),
Sept 28 1812, Prince Geo. Co. Md. Source: Md. His. Soc. file.
31. Benjamin Oden to Catherine "Kitty" Kinder, December
12, 1812, by Rev. G. Allen. Sources: Montgomery County
Judical Court House, Rockville, Md.; Hall of Records, Md.
State Archives, Annapolis, Md. Catherine died in Nov. 1826
aged between 30 and 40. Benjamin Oden's name appears
in John Nicholson's Last Will dated 1820, proven in March
1822. John Nicholson's wife was Tabitha Oden (see #24).
Benjamin Oden's surname, though indexed as Oden, was
Owden when he signed on the Bill of Sale paper selling
his tobacco plantation to a Zacharian Owden in 1825.
[Jean's note: Zacharian's neighbors Alfred Oden and
John Oden in Montgomery County in 1840 also spelled
their surname Owden / Ouden in 1840 census and later
as Oden. So, there was probably a connection between
Benjamin, Zacharian, Alfred, and John. More research on
32. Mariah West Oden to James Mullikan, Jan. 5, 1813,
Prince Geo. Co. Md. Source: "Oden Papers", unpublished,
Md. His. Soc., Baltimore, Md.
33. Benjamin Oden, Esq., widowed, was married second
to Harriet Black West, daughter of Stephen West, Esq.
and sister of Benjamin's first wife Rachel Sophia (West)
Oden. The date of marriage was Aug. 22, 1813, in
Prince Geo. Co. Md. Source: "Oden Papers," unpub.
Md. Historical Society, Balto. Md.
34. Mary Anne Oden to the widowed Lawrence Lyddan,
May 18, 1816, Mont. Co. Source: Montgomery County
Marriage Licenses: 1798-1875.
35. Mary Oden to John Flaherty, May 29, 1816,
Montgomery Co. Md. Source: Montgomery Co.
Judical Court House, Rockville, Md.
36. Catherine Oden to George Dunlop June 27, 1818,
Prince Geo's Co. Source: "Marriage Licenses, Prince
Geo. Co. (Md.): 1777-1886" by Brown, p. 162.
37. Nathaniel S. Oden (Nathaniel "L." Oden on license) to
Hulda Hutchison (Hurchinson on license) on Aug. 10,
1819, Mont. Co. Md. Both were natives of Loudoun
Co. Virginia. Nathaniel was son of Richard A. Oden
and Mary Skinner, daughter of Nathaniel Skinner.
Hulda was daughter of John and Nancy Hutchison.
Sources: "Richard Alexander Skinner's Descendants"
and Montgomery Co. Judical Court House, Rockville,
38. Eleanor "Ellen" Oden, born 1802, daughter of
Benjamin OIden, Esq., to her cousin, Arthur Pue West,
May 29, 1821, Prince Geo. Co. Md. Source: "Oden
Papers," unpub. Md. Historical Society.
39. Alfred Oden to Alcinda / Verlindo (illegible) Gray,
April 3 or 5 (illegible) ,1822, Montgomery Co. Source:
Mont. Co. Judical Court House. See #40.
40. Alfred Oden to Alcinda Cross, April 5, 1822,
Montgomery Co. Maryland. Source: Montgomery
County Marriage Licenses: Male, 1798-1875." See #39.
41. Benjamin Oden, Jr. (born ca. 1800 and died 1823),
son of Benjamin Oden, Esquire, to Henriette Priscilla
Ware, Nov. 12, 1822, Prince Geo. Co. Md. Source:
"Oden Papers, unpub. Maryland Historical Society,
Baltimore, Maryland. Benjamin, Jr. predeceased his
father and had left no issue. Source: Ibid.
42. Sophia Margaret Oden, born 1796, daughter of
Benjamin Oden, Esq., to Bruce Mullikan, February 25,
1823, Prince Geo. Co. Source: Ibid.
43. Zacharian Oden to Tabitha Reed, April 28, 1824,
Montgomery Co. (He might possibly be connected with
Benjamin Oden, husband of Catherine Kinder, Alfred
Oden, and John Oden.) Source: Mont. County Judical
Court House, Rockville, Md.
44. Elizbaeth Mary Oden, born ca. 1804 and died 1849,
daughter of Benjamin Oden, Esquire, to William Duckett
Bowie, February 8, 1825, Prince Geo. Co. Md. Oden Bowie,
former governor of Marylandm, was son by this marriage.
He was grandson of Benjamin Oden, Esq. "Oden Papers",
unpublished, Md. Hist. Soc., Balto. Md.
45. Susannah Oden (1800-1861) to Matthias Geiger/
Geigegus, Aug. 5, 1826, Frederick Co. The cpuple lived
in Buckeystown, Frederick Co. Md. where Mr. Geiger
built Urbana's first Methodist-Episcopal Church. Source:
Letter from Betty Fulvo -- address misplaced.
46. Elizabeth C. Oden to Henry Arnold, Nov. 11, 1826,
Mont. Co. Sources: "Arnold Family", filed in Mont. Co.
Historical Society, Rockville, Md. and Mont. Co. Marriage
47. Mrs. Henrietta Prtiscilla (nee Ware) Oden, widow of
Benjamin Oden, Jr. to Walter B. C. Worthington, Jan. 16,
1827, Pr. Geo. Co. Md. Source: Maryand Historical Society
48. Mahala Oden to Richard Stallings, March 3, 1830,
Frederick Co. (See William Brewer's Will mentioning
Alfred Oden. Mahala might be a sister to Alfred.
Source: Henry Ogden, Editor of The Ogden-Oden
49. Archibald Oden (Aden on license), son of Elias
and Ann Shearer Oden, to Mary Lyles, daughter of
Dr. Richard Lyles, Dec. 16, 1830, Mont. Co. Archibald
was a bookseller and Mary was an international hotel-
owner. Source: "Lyles Family," filed in Montgomery County
Historical Society, Rockville, Maryland, and Montgomery
County Judical Court House, Rockville, Md.
50. Christina H. Oden, born ca. 1798, daughter of
Bemjamin Oden, Esq., to Dr. Thomas Claggett,
Nov. 8, 1831. Source: "Oden Papers," unpublished,
Md. Historical Society, Baltimore, Md.
51. William Oden to Elizabeth Pickens, Feb. 12, 1835,
Frederick co. Md. Source: LDS. They had two children:
John Robert Oden and Margaret Catherine Oden,
christened on March 27, 1837, at Middletown
Evangelical Lutheran Church, Middletown, Frederick
County, Maryland. Source: LDS.
52. Alfred Oden, born 1801, to Rachel E. Sedgwick,
April 23, 1835, Mont. Co. Source: Mont. Co. Judical
Court House, Rockville, Md. His name in 1840 census
was spelled as Alpherd Owden.
53. John O. Oden to Mary Ann Mills, June 8, 1840.
Source: Montgomery County Judical Court House,
54. Sacharias (probably Zacharian) Oden to Elizabeth
Nicholson, Dec. 21, 1844. Montgomery County Judical
Court House, Rockville, Maryland. They might be cousins
if Elizabeth Nicholson was daughter of John and Tabitha (Oden) Nicholson
(see # 24).
55. John B. Oden (my ancestor) of Montgomery County,
Maryland, was married to Joanna Gifford Stowell, October
17, 1847, Baltimore, Baltimore Coutny, Maryland, by the
Rev. Theophilius fisk. Joanna was daughter of Lt. Henry
Calvin Stowell of Hingham, MA, and Mary Ann Gifford
of Sandwich, MA, Sources: Baltimore Sun, October 20,
1847; Dielman-Hayward File filed in Maryand Historical
Society, Baltimore, Maryland, and license from Hall of
Records, Maryland State Archives, Annapolis, Md.
56. Mary Ann Oden, daughter of Benjamin and Mary
Oden of Hagerstown, Washington Co., Maryland, to
Lewuis-Randolph Fechtig, son of Christian-Charles
and Isabella (Beatty) Fechtig, in 1848. Source:
Pennsylvania Genealogies: "Beatty Family."
-- continued --
YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET!
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit:
|Marriage Records & Odens Being Identified Through Wills by jean boutcher <>|