OHAUGLAI-L Archives

Archiver > OHAUGLAI > 2003-12 > 1071503108

From: Patricia Fuller <>
Subject: [OHAUG] John Adam Bitler and 2nd wife Frances C. Kanter
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 07:45:33 -0800 (PST)

I am looking for information on Frances C. Kanter who was the second wife of John Adam Bitler. His first wife and mother of all of his children was Julia Ann Justice. I do not know who Frances' parents were nor, her date of birth and when she died. Frances and John were married in Auglaize County Ohio, but moved to Harrison Co., Michigan some time in the early 1900's. My elderly Aunt who would be a granddaughter of John Adam Bitler and Julia Ann Justice does not know what happened to Frances.

Her is a copy of John Adam's obituary.

CLARE COUNTY CLEAVER

HARRISON, MICHIGAN

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 20, 1931

PAGE 8, COLUMN 3

HAMILTON TOWNSHIP

The community was again saddened by the death of John Bitler who passed away to the great beyond Sunday after a long illness.

CLARE COUNTY CLEAVER

HARRISON, MICHIGAN

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 27, 1931

PAGE 1, COLUMN 5

John A. Bitler died at his home in Hamilton township Sunday, February 15, after a lingering illness. Funeral services were held Wednesday afternoon following by elder George Bailey and the remains laid to rest in Mt. Pleasant. His age was 73 years and 9 days.

He was born February 6, 1858. In his youth he was united in marriage to Julia Ann Justice. To this union came six children. One died in infancy and the mother was also taken away, leaving him with five little ones to care for. The task he faithfully performed.

On July 28, 1897, he was married to Francis c. Canter [sic]. Beside his faithful companion he is survived by four sons; J.S. Bitler of Lima, Ohio, C.F. Bitler of Lansing, Winfield Bitler of Monroe and J.L. Bitler, whose home is in California; one daughter Sylvia L. Bacome of Mt. Pleasant; five sisters, two brothers, 15 grandchildren and one great grandchild, besides numerous other relatives and a host of friends.

Dearest loved one thou has left us,

Left us, yes, for evermore.

But we hope to meet thee

On that golden shore.

There to be togethernevermore to part.

CARD OF THANKS

To the many neighbors and friends who rendered assistance during the illness of my late husband, and for the expression of sympathy in my bereavement. I wish to tender my sincere thanks.

MRS. JOHN A. BITLER

CLARE COUNTY CLEAVER

HARRISON, MICHIGAN

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 27, 1931

PAGE 1, COLUMN 5

AUCTION SALE

Mrs. John Bitler announces an auction sale of live stock and farm implements at the Bitler farm six miles east of the fair grounds. The sale begins at ten oclock Wednesday March 4th. Thomas Groves is the auctioneer, see bills for full particulars.