OHCLERMO-L Archives

Archiver > OHCLERMO > 1999-08 > 0934475571

From: William Archerd <>
Subject: More from J.B. Simmons
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 11:32:51 -0500

Here is another clipping from the Simmons scrapbook. There are
some more early names - from 1812. Also a description of the land
on the lower Big Indian Creek and the branch called Colclaser.
The reference to the McDongall Survey is typed wrong in the
clipping - I think it is really McDougal. Bill Archerd

AN OLD PIONEER
What he Remembers about Clermont County
J. B. Simmons Relates Some Interesting Experiences

Some six months ago I saw an editorial in the Courier, suggesting
the association of a Clermont Historical Society to gather up and
preserve incidents in the early settlement and early history of
the county. If this is ever done, it should be done soon, as the
first settlers are nearly all gone, and soon none will be left to
tell the story.

As I was among the first to settle in what was afterwards
organized into Monroe township, a few reminiscences of my early
life may not be uninteresting to many of your readers. My father
came to that place in 1812, when I was only nine years of age, and
there I lived for fifty-two years, or until the year 1864. My
great-grandfather John Simmons was born in England, and came to
the United States about the year 1733. My grand-father, Adam
Simmons, was born in Pennsylvania, January 15, 1747, and married
Mary Hatton in 1770. My grandfather was one of the first settlers
of Clermont county, having stopped and lived at the mouth of
Bullskin as early as 1797 or 98. In 1798, Rev. George Brown,
formed a small Methodist class at that place and appointed William
Fee and Adam Simmons class leaders. He was undoubtedly one of the
first Methodist class leaders in the State of Ohio. About the
year 1800 he moved into what is now Monroe township, and lived on
the farm now owned by his grand-son, Leonard Simmons. On this
farm he lived until he died in peace, July 23, 1827, at the
advanced age of 80 years. His wife survived him about four years,
and died at the age of 78, and both were burried in the old Carmel
cemetery.

My father, Leonard Simmons, was born in Pennsylvania, December 1,
1771, and my mother, Elizabeth Pollard, daughter of Benjamin, and
Nancy Pollard, was born in Maryland, November 25, 1780. They were
married in Mason county, Kentucky, and lived for a few years about
three miles southeast of Maysville. This was the place of my
birth March 24, 1803. When about one year old I made my first
visit to old Clermont, having been taken by my parents on a visit
to my grandfather's in the year 1804.

In the year 1810, my father having sold out in Kentucky, went to
Clermont county and bought 100 acres on the east end of
McDongall's survey for $2.50 per acre. Father engaged a man whom
he brought from Maysville with his family by the name of
Cartwright, to clear 18 acres, and also Reason Debruler to clear
ten acres more. In the spring of 1812 father took my two older
brothers, Pollard and Wesley, and went to Ohio to build a cabin,
plant an orchard and raise a crop, which having been done,
returned to Kentucky.

About the 1st of August he hauled his household goods, farming
utensils, etc., to Maysvsille, and stowed them in a flat boat.
Uncle Samuel Pollard, who moved at the same time, shared in the
boat. Soon the boat with the two families and goods was launched
on the beautiful Ohio, and floated down 34 miles to the mouth of
Big Indian Creek. There was one small house built at the point
below the mouth of the creek occupied by a Mr. Ludlow. All the
region around at that time was almost an unbroken forest. There
was a small road opened up the creek to a settlement at George
Brown's old mill, afterwards Penn's mill. Near what was
afterwards George Gregg's tanyard.

We took this road up to a branch called Colclaser. From here we
had to clear our road up to the fork of the stream. Then up what
was called the dividing ridge to our new home. This was on the
9th of August, in the year 1812. That same evening father
collected his family, and consecrated our new home to God by
prayer, and, as his custom was in Kentucky, re-erected the family
altar, which he kept up until called from labor to reward on the
27th of April, 1835.

Note: this is a copy of a clipping found in the J.B. Simmons
scrapbook. It is on a page that also includes an article
referring to a deceased man of age 74 who was born in Dec. 1802.
However, the order of the scrapbook pages would suggest that the
above clipping is from 1879.

This thread: