OHCOLUMB-L Archives

Archiver > OHCOLUMB > 2001-05 > 0991149163

From: Barbara Wright <>
Subject: Re: Coal Mine
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 11:12:43 -0400

If my memory serves me correctly, coal mining was done on the Millville
Hill (Rt. 14) just across the Salem line (in the area where the Wal-Mart
is to built). I had some HENDRICKS great uncles who worked in the mines
and I want to say the mines were in the Millville area. My father (now
deceased) went to work with his uncles at about age 16 (1930s Depression
period) but didn't last there long. The story was that while working
there his straight hair became curly. And, lo and behold, I inherited
the natural curl. Figure out that folklore story.

I have a note from "A History of Green Twp. & Greenford [Mahoning Co.]
As I Remember It & Have Been Told" by Garth D. Coy, 11/15/1967. I saw
this pub. at the Greenford library. My note is: p. 11 ... Hendricks ...
& other have had deep mines in the Twp. Possibly other surnames were
mentioned, but I didn't copy them.

Isaac Lorenzo/Rennie I. HENDRICKS, farmer & coal miner of Greenford,
died 1/25/1939 when crushed to death in a fall of slate at a mine
southwest of Greenford. His son, Ralph, who was with his father escaped
injury.

This thread: