OHCUYAHO-L Archives

Archiver > OHCUYAHO > 2008-08 > 1217965614

From: Jeanne Crews <>
Subject: [OHCUYAHO] Schmitz or Minnich relatives from Rhineland PrussiaGermany
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 12:46:54 -0700 (PDT)

I'm new to the Cuyahoga County list.
My ancestor, Stephen Schmitz, came to America in about 1864 at the age of 19. His family was living in the town of Illerich, which is now in the Rhineland Province of Germany but which was part of Prussia when he came. A family story says that he deserted the Prussian army and stowed away on a ship. The story also says that he first came to see relatives in Cleveland but couldn't find work, so he then moved to Lorain County and got a job in the quarries, working to save enough to bring his parents and younger siblings. I don't know who the relatives in Cleveland were. So I'm hoping that maybe this story may sound familiar to someone. His parents were Nicholas Schmitz and Maria Katherine Minnich (Muench).
Another close by town in Germany is Landkern, and there were a lot of Schmitzes there. Any leads would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Jeanne

This thread: