OHGALLIA-L Archives

Archiver > OHGALLIA > 2002-06 > 1024189912

From: "Marjorie L. Wood" <>
Subject: [OHGALLIA-L] Nehemiah Wood
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 21:13:09 -0400

Nehemiah Wood, Sr. came to the Shenandoah Valley from England in 1750,
settling near Luray, Virginia, where he owned several thousand acres. His
children were: Benjamin, John, Joshua, Nehemiah Jr., Sallie and Mary. He and
his wife are buried on the original homestead.
Mary Wood married Sinnett Atwood, and they were the parents of Nehemiah
Atwood, a founder of Rio Grande College.
Nehemiah Jr., was born in 1770, and married Eve Ruffner, d/o Joseph. The
Ruffners and the Woods were among the earliest settlers of Charleston, WV,
where Nehemiah also served in the state legislature. Nehemiah and Eve's
children were: Andrew, Bethsama (m. Samuel Watson), Noah, Harrison, William
M. Charles C., Joseph, Luther Davis and James P. They came to Gallia County
abut 1805, where Nehemiah prospered as a miller and land holder. After Eve's
(b. 1774) death in 1821, he married Jane Daugherty, and their children were
Nancy and Magnetia.
The house known as the old homestead, near Rio Grande, was started by
Nehemiah, finishe by his son, Harrison. It was built of brick made on the
farm, some say by the slaves Nehemiah brought with him.
Nehemish died 21 Sept. 1824 and is presumed buried at the Watson Cemetery,
below Adamsville, along with Eve.

I have much more on the Wood family and can post different items if anyone
is interested. I also have many documents for the information I have.

Marjorie L. Wood

This thread: