OHHURON-L ArchivesArchiver > OHHURON > 2005-11 > 1131481223
From: Tom Neel <>
Subject: Re: [OHHURON-L] Whitefox Church?
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 20:20:23 +0000
The following is from an unpublished article on Clarksfield churches by
the late Ruby Beers Allgood to be included in a future history by the
New London Area Historical Society:
"The East Clarksfield Methodist Church was formed in 1837. Meetings were
first held in the home of Alexander Twaddle and others, the in the log
school house standing on Lot 1 in the second section of the township. A
church was later built on the northeast corner of State Route 18 and
Butler Road. The church was dedicated in June 1870. Its cost was $2000.
It was known as the White Fox church. It was finally sold to the Seventh
Day Adventists sometime after 1924 and was used as their school until
1936. The building has been gone for many years."
Also, Dianne, the current Tom Burrows, listed in the phone book, is
very informed about history in that neighborhood and his own family,
perhaps the ones that you have mentioned in your query.
As an aside, an unpublished article by the late Myron Allgood,
called "Clarksfield Township Post Offices," includes the following:
"When the East Clarksfield Post office was discontinued , D.L.
Justice sent a large petition to have the mail carried on the W. & L.E.
Railroad. They were eventually granted another post office which was to
be kept by Charles Fish, the agent at the Butler Road Railroad Depot.
East Clarksfield or Butler would not satisfy the Post Office department,
so the name of the new office is White Fox.
The White Fox postmasters and dates of appointment were:
Charles Fish, Nov. 14, 1884
David Myers, April 1, 1901
George W. McDonald, April 23, 1901
Loxley D. Myers, Jan. 31, 1902
The post office was closed on June 16, 1904 and mail carriers from rural
routes out of Wakeman served the people in that area. A rural route out
of New London also served some of the people in the White Fox area. We
do not have the date that route was started. One report was that the
reason for closing the White Fox office was that no one in the
neighborhood would consent to be postmaster."
In a "History of Clarksfield Township Schools," by Myron Allgood, he
"In 1849 at a joint meeting of the trustees of Brighton and Clarksfield
it was ordered that 132 acres on the south side of Lot 17, Tract 7 in
Brighton be attached to District 11 in Clarksfield township, located at
the corner of State Route 18 and Butler road." .... "This was changed
to District 6 in 1860." ..... "No. 6, At White Fox corners, built of
brick in 1880 on the southwest corner of State Route 18 and Butler road."
Tom Neel, New London
>Can anyone tell me where to find info on Whitefox Church? In both Thomas Burrows and his wife Ann's obits dated 1898 and 1915, there is reference to them belonging to Whitefox Church. They lived in the Clarksfield area.
>Dianne L. Springer
>Have a great day!
>==== OHHURON Mailing List ====
>We have approximately 300 members subscribed to this list.