Archiver > OHIO-VALLEY > 1999-05 > 0926732514

From: <>
Subject: Re: Guiandot
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 21:41:54 EDT

In a message dated 5/14/99 15:05:10 Mountain Daylight Time,

> My question is - Where is the place he
> called GUIANDOT??

There is a Guyandotte in Cabell County, WV, on the outskirts of present-day
Huntington. My map program describes it as an "Urban Subdivision". There is
also a Guyandotte Mountain in Raleigh County, WV, and a Guyandotte River
about 40 miles west of Beckley, WV. It eventually flows into the Ohio at

A Gazeteer from 1853 lists a Guyandot Big River and a Guyandot Little River,
both in VA, and both feeding into the Ohio. This appears to be simply a
spelling variant of the same river, and accounting for the fact that West
Virginia did not exist in 1853. Hope this helps.

Gary Vincent
A RootsWeb Sponsor

This thread: