OHMEIGS-L Archives

Archiver > OHMEIGS > 2001-02 > 0982420677

From: "Russ & Brenda Blosser" <>
Subject: [OHMEIGS] Tombstone dumping
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 09:37:57 -0500

Did anyone else see the article in the Cleveland Plain Dealer on Friday, Feb. 2, 2001, titled "Tombstones Used To Halt Erosion Near Cliff Are Buried In Mystery" ?
Under a large photo of the tombstones sticking up through the dirt on the cliff, and through the sand on the beach of Lake Erie, the caption reads "A tombstone lies upside down on a Lake Erie beach west of Edgewater Park. It's part of the stone rubble pushed over a nearby cliff of a private property owner who is trying to stop erosion."
The story, by reporter Michael O'Malley, goes on to say:
"Cleveland resident Don Shury, who lives in a mansion at the edge of a cliff overlooking Lake Erie, has been dumping scores of tombstones over the precipice to keep the lake from eroding his property.
The headstones, piled along the side of the cliff and on the beach below, are a mix of Christian and Jewish markers engraved with the names, dates and religious symbols such as stars of David and crosses.
Shury, whose home is on Edgewater Dr., just west of Edgewater Park, says the gravemarkers and monuments are a foundation on which he plans to pile boulders. He declined to say where he obtained the stones.
'It's none of your business,' he told a reporter. 'I'm not going to tell you where they're from. You sound like one of my nosy neighbors'
But Katie Karrick, president of the Ohio Cemetery Preservation Society, said she intended to make it her business. 'We want to know where the stones are coming from and shomehow stop this practice,' she said.

More on this in the next day or two.

Russ Blosser

This thread: