OHMONROE-L Archives

Archiver > OHMONROE > 2003-01 > 1041462588

From: jomorgan <>
Subject: [OHMonroe] part 3 MCDOWELL, MASTERS, DEVAUL, STEWART, CLINGMAN, MCCLINTICK, MILLER, CAMERON, ANDERSON, GORHAM, GRIFFIN, BAKER, BRIGHT, TURNER, KINNEY, DUNKS, HASKELL, HUMPHREY, WELDON, GRIPPIN, FORBES, CANER, MILTENBERGER
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2003 17:09:48 -0600

ALONZO GORHAM born Aug 15, 1801
died -
married MERCY HUMPHREY

MERCY HUMPHREY born Mar 24, 1801 at Rutland, VT
died Aug. 8, 1866 at Winnebago, Illinois

THEIR CHILDREN:

H. LORAIN GORHAM born June 27, 1828
died
married SALMON R. WELDON (have 2 children, Jennie & Willie)

ARABELLA GORHAM born Jan 16, 1832 at Pittsford, Vt.
died - young

WALLACE A. GORHAM born Oct 27, 1833 at Pittsford, Vt
married MARY GRIPPEN

LAURA J. GORHAM born Feb 24, 1835 at Pittsford, Vt
married H. C. FORBES

ORANGE R. GORHAM born July 13, 1837
died Feb 17, 1897 (at 8:30 p.m.) Rockford, Ill.
married MARY MCDOWELL on mar 11, 1863 in Green Co., Wisc.

ARABELLA GORHAM born mar 11, 1839

DIANA M. GORHAM born Sept 12, 1840
married H. N. CANER

Pages 176 & 177

MARY DOROTHY ROSE MILTENBERGER born June 28, 1873 in Milwaukee, Wisc.
died -
married WILLIAM MCDOWELL on June 30, 1897 at Shelbyville, Shelby Co., MO

WILLIAM MCDOWELL born jan 17, 1870 in Polk co., MO
died -

THEIR CHILDREN:

WILLIAM MCDOWELL - born Nov 24, 1898 at Shelbyville, MO
died Jan 13, 1899 at Shelbyville, MO

DAUGHTER MCDOWELL no name given to this daughter. born Apr 13, 1900 at Shelbyville, MO
died April 14, 1900 at Shelbyville, MO

MAYNARD LEE MCDOWELL born Mar 14, 1902 in Shelbyville, MO

GEORGE MCDOWELL born sept 26, 1908 (6:00 a.m.) Shelbyville, MO

CHARLES W. GORHAM born June 24, 1843
Pages 191 & 192 - W. C. MCDOWELL LEDGERBOOK #1
"TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN"
The discharge from service of John C. Masters is "recorded" at Woodfield, Monroe Co., Ohio.

JOHN C. MASTERS enlisted Feb. 14, 1865, as Pvt. Company "G" 36th Regt. Ohio Infantry Volunteers, and was discharged July 1865 by reason of close of the war.

WASHINGTON C. MCDOWELL born in Ross Co., Ohio on Feb 26, 1832 married EMMELINE S. MILLER on July 29, 1856 in Fillmore Co., Minnesota. He enlisted in Company "E" 7th Regt. Minnesota Infantry Volunteers on July 15, 1862 (Josiah V. Marsh was Captain of Company, Stephen Miller was Colonel of Regiment) and was discharged at Ft. Snelling, Minnesota on March 5, 1864 by reason of disabilities incurred in the service.
He obtained a decree of divorce from his wife, Emmeline from the april term of the circuit court held at Shelbyville, Shelby Co., MO. April 1887, and was remarried to MARTHA MASTERS, widow of JOHN C. MASTERS, on Feb. 10, 1889.
The discharge from service of W. C. McDowell is recorded at Washington, Washington co., Iowa.
His former wife, Emmeline, and three children are now living near Godfrey, Bourbon County, KS. The youngest child is over 20 years of age at this date - June 3rd, 1895 - and said three are the only children of his, now living.
W. C. MCDOWELL
Neither Emmeline Miller or myself were ever married prior to July 29, 1856, and I was not remarried subsequent to date of divorce decree and prior to Feb.10th, 1889 or to any other person except the parties above named. I will also state that Emmeline refused to give her name as Emmeline S. when we were married and never used the S. afterward as being a part of her name, giving as a reason therefore that she disliked the name Sabina.
W. C. McDowell.

1896
July 21st.
Dr. Wainwright was in my office in Shelbyville and I called his attention to the fact that I had ulcers on my left leg from foot nearly to knee, ulcer on front of ankle, on right leg and ulcer at lower end of spine, and that my deafness of both ears was caused by ulcers in my head that developed about Juloy 1st/93 and discharged freely for 3 months of more, that deafness had continued to present time and threatning symptoms of recurrence of ulcers were frequently manifest by throbbing and disagreeable noises in my head.

Dec. 4th.
The ulcers on my legs and at end of spine continued to discharged matter and throbbing noises, numbness and a dull pain continues in my head. Memory very weak and can hardly think or reason sufficiently clear at times so as to do ordinary business.
W. C. McDowell

W. C. MCDOWELL JOURNAL OF 1896-1902
page 2
1897 July 15
My health is better than usual, the ulcers on my legs have healed. The left leg continues swollen, appetite good, sleep well, deafness continues in both eats. July 12th when I got off the bed was very dizzy, could hardly stand on my feet and an invisible force appeared to be pulling me over to the left side; pain in my breast, the left side very tender and sensitive. 13, 14 & 15th, symptoms continue. I consulted Dr. dewees in regard to them today. I cannot discover any symptoms of biliousness or kidney trouble therefore think paralysis is indicated.

1902 July 14 My disabilities have been continuous with failing eyesight. During the year 1901 my health was bad and many thought death was near. For the last six months my health has been better than usual, but deafness in both ears remained continuous and am unable to hear sermons or public speaking. Dark spots and threads like jet black gossamer appear constantly before my right eye for the last six months. Weakness and dimness of both eyes about the same. About July 1st, 1902, a change took place and ulcers at lower end of spine and on left leg became more extensive and painful. Am hardly able to walk and pain at times so severe that it makes me heartsick.

OBITUARY FROM MONROE, GREEN COUNTY, WISCONSIN NEWSPAPER

MCDOWELL
MRS. CATHERINE MCDOWELL, (Catherine "Kate" Anderson) for twenty nine years a resident of this city, passed away at 12 o'clock Sunday morning at the Loofbourow Hospital after two years of intense suffering from stomach trouble. Since she entered the hospital six weeks ago, she had been in a critical condition and her death had been hourly expected. On Christmas day, Mrs. McDowell passed her seventy-third birthday anniversary.
The decedent was born on June 5, 1871 in Lycoming County, Pennsylvania, her parents emigrating west in 1854, locating near Freeport. They came to Wisconsin in 1862 and lived near Clarno. There, Mrs. McDowell was married to CHARLES M. MCDOWELL. In 1883 they came to Monroe to make their home, Mr. McDowell passing away March 29, 1911.
Mrs. McDowell was a lifelong member of the Methodist Episcopal faith, having been affiliated with the local M. E. church during her residence here. She was also an active worker in the W. C. T. U. which will attend the services in a body.
Surviving her are her daughter, MISS MARY MCDOWELL, one sister, MRS. RACHEL CAMERON, of Fairview, Kansas, and two brothers, GARLAND ANDERSON AND GEORGE ANDERSON, of this city.
The remains have been taken to the home of Garland Anderson, 903 West Avenue. the funeral services will be conducted by Rev. W. w. Moore at 2 o'clock tomorrow afternoon at the M. E. church. William Truman, George Bast, H. J. Bast, Jacob Huffman, M. T. Gapen and B. M. Noble will act as pallbearers. Burial will be in Greenwood.

This thread: