OHTUSCAR-L Archives

Archiver > OHTUSCAR > 1999-03 > 0921281490

From: "The Hartline's" <>
Subject: Re: [OHTUSCAR-L] Swank and Huebner
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 18:31:30 -0500

Nedra Dickman Brill wrote:

> Thank you all for answering my questions. Below is a compilation of the
> info received from several persons--none is my original work. Now the
> question for both Swank and Huebner researchers: how is Elisabeth (Swenk)
> Huebner related to Philip and Christian Swank? Others asked if Huebner and
> Hoover are the same family.
>
> Beersheba was in Clay township, Tuscarawas Co., Ohio. That area is
> now called Lock 17. There used to be a church there but it is gone
> now and only a couple of headstones if any, remain in the cemetery.
> The book starts about 1805 and goes to about 1850. There may be more
> Swanks in the books for Gnadenhutten, they are not indexed and are partly
> in German. Gnadenhutten is just across the river from Beersheba.
>
> "Church book of the Brethren's congregation at Beersheba on the
> Westside of the Muskingum River opened in the Year of Our Lord 1805," page
> 46, # 275:
> Born February 1, 1828; baptized January 25, 1829: Christina, daughter of
> Johann Fr. Huebner and Elisabeth nee SWENK. Sponsors: John g. Demuth and
> Lydia
> Demuth, nee Wuensh, and Elisabeth Fl. Everett, single. Baptism
> administered by Samuel R. Huebener, Pastor.
>
> Samuel Huebner was the son of Ledwig 1761-1813. Samuel was born
> abt 1780.
>
> Rev. Samuel Huebner who is mentioned as Confirming and
> receiving into the Moravian Church at Gnadenhutten in 1828, a certain
> Solomon Hoover...Rev Lewis Huebner, at the same church in 1800, with his
> wife, arrived from Penn., to be the first pastor. Then he returned to Penn
> in August 1805, and a Rev. Jacob Roushenberger took over till 1828, when
> rev. Samuel took over, son of the first pastor, and remained until 1834 or
> 1835.
>
> Note: Lewis often appears as the Anglicized version of the name Ludwig.
>
> Nedra Dickman Brill, Certified Genealogist
> Historian, Henckel Family National Association
> Coordinator Pendleton County, WV,

> Tuscarawas County USGenWeb site is located at:
> http://web1.tusco.net/tuscgen/index.htm

I have dozens of descendants of Philip Swank (Feb 1788-01 Dec 1871)
born in Pennsylvania, lived in Tuscarawas County awhile, moved on and
died in or near Chillicothe, Livingston, Missouri. His wife was widow
Catherine Cribbs Hukill. Much of this data was given to me by others,
but the mother of one of his daughters-in-law was Clarissa Hartline
1820-1853. Jim Hartline, Sterling Heights, Michigan.

This thread: