OLD-ENGLISH-L Archives

Archiver > OLD-ENGLISH > 2000-07 > 0964006880

From: Eve McLaughlin <>
Subject: Re: [OEL] 18th Century Household Items - sand tub
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 12:41:20 +0100

>I used that term because this was a gentleman's home of two storeys plus
>garrets and they were certainly more than comfortable, with some very
>expensive items of furniture, silver, etc. The servants' room contained 7 beds,
>two of them feather, so I think we can discount the idea of a build up of grease
>in an infrequently cleaned environment. That does not exactly apply to this
>family.

you are joking? The richer, the more meat. The more meat, the more
grease in the air and splashed on the floors, especially in kitchen and
dining room.. It was the custom to do major cleans every few weeks or
so. The modern concept of flicking round daily with a hoover simply does
not apply. Never judge the past by the standards of the present.

>We do not know for sure what the flooring was but they could have afforded
>flagstones rather than boards.

rethink that one. Boards were chosen by the wealthy because they were
wamrer than flags and cost more. Oak, wany elm etc for preference.

> With all those servants it seems likely that the
>floors would have tended towards the spotless rather than the greasy.

And all the manual household tasks which they would have performed to
fill their time. If you read a few books about the period, you will
gain a better picture.
One which addresses the precise problem is 'A woman's work is never
done; the history of household work'

>rather than with water and scrubbing.
think about the access to quantities of water!
> The year was 1775.
exactly

>The parlour in which the sand tub was kept appears to have been an every day
>living area.

presumably the eating room - lot of splashes to contend with.

--
Eve McLaughlin

Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society

This thread: