OLD-FREDERICK-CO-VA-L Archives

Archiver > OLD-FREDERICK-CO-VA > 1997-07 > 0869538080

From: Bobbi Estle <>
Subject: ELLIS/DANIELS/REED/CONARD
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 22:21:20 -0400 (EDT)

Margaret,

From the book "Highland Pioneer Sketches & Family Genealogies" by Elsie
Johnson Ayres.

Found the following on ELLIS:

Page 439
John Ellis was another early settler in the community (Sharpsville). He
arrived in time to vote in the first election held in Liberty Twp. He was
a member of the Ellis family who traced their ancestory back to John Ellis,
native of Germany, who arrived in America in 1726. A son James married
Mary Veach and had a son, John Ellis. Three sons served in the Revolution.

Page 996
Thomas Starbuck, chose for his wife, Elizabeth, daughter of James and
Susannah Ellis. James Ellis was the son of James Ellis, soldier of the
Revolution.

Found the following on DANIELS:

Page 168
Jmaes Daniels was appointed Prosecuting Attorney by the February term of
court held in the County in 1810. He became the first resident lawyer in
Hillsboro. In March, 1811, he was issued a license for operating a tavern
in the village. Soon after that his name disappeared from all records,
evidently moving on to greener pastures as so many were wont to do.

Found the following on REED:

Page 276
THE REED FAMILY
The Reeds were all emigrants to the township before the county was formed.
James, Leonard, George and Samuel Reed were all registered voters when the
first election was held.

Samuel Reed and at least one other brother were Revolutionary War veterans.
Leonard, 1782-1850, and his wife Catharine lived in the Countryman settlement.

The second wife of George Reed was Margaret, daughter of Sampson Turley.
Young Jacob Reed was only 10 months old when he died of cholera in Sept
1840. His sister Martha died four days later of the same disease.

Found the following on CONARD:

Page 780
William Carey, who married Almira, daughter of Benjamin Conard of Hillsboro
was also the father of a large family, ten in number. They were:
(1) Spencer (2) Alonzo W., who lived in OK (3) Eliza (4) Mary
(5) Margaret (6) Lena C. (7) B.C. (8) Martha E. (9) Almira C.
(10) W. Ernst

Page 781-783
BENAJMIN CONARD
The Conard family were descended from immigrants who came to America
from Holland as early as 1628. An early member of the family located
in the James River area of Virginia. Cornelius and Susannah (Chalfant)
Conard were living in Valley Forge when Gen. Washington and his soldiers
spent the winter encamped in their cold quarters. Benjamin, son of the
pioneer couple, was born at Valley Forge Sept 14, 1810. His first wife
was Mary Anne Moore, who had one child that died in infancy. The mother
succumbed in a few months.

Benjamin had a brother, Joseph, who married Rebecca, daughter of Joseph
and Martha (Michener) Good. Charles, brother of Rebecca Good, married
Betsy, daughter of Caleb and Anne (Fell) Moore, Rebecca and Charles
Good were the only children in the large family of Joseph Good who
emigrated to Highland Co. The Moore family emigrated from Glasgow,
Scotland, to Ireland as early as 1612. James, son of John Moore, was
born in Ireland, where both he and his father died.

Andrew, son of James Moore, emigrated to America from Ireland about 1711.
He landed at New Castle, Del., after a rough sea voyage. He was listed
among those who paid taxes in Calvert Co., MD, in 1713. He married
Margaret Miller, daughter of another early emigrant. They had a son,
James Moore, who married Anne Starr. Hhe became an eminent physician and
surgeon in Lancaster PA. The Moore family, like the Goods, Conards and
Fells, were Quakers.

Joseph and Rebecca (Good) Conard arrived in Penn Twp in 1847. They wrote
such glowing descriptions of their new homeland to their relatives in the
East that they decided to move to Ohio. Charles and Betsy (Moore) Good
arrived in Penn Twp in 1854. They settled on a farm in the area of
Careytown.

Benjamin Conard's second wife was Eliza, daughter of George and Alice (Fell)
Roberts. She was born in PA in 1810 and died in Highland Co. Jan 29, 1852,
two years after her arrival. Benjamin and Eliza (Roberts) Conard were the
parents of the following 11 children:
1- Almira, 1836-1931 (Mrs. William Carey. He was born in 1829 and
succumbed in 1908). They were the parents of ten children.
2- Cornelius served in the ranks of the Union Army. His death occurred
at Carthage, MO in 1907.
3- Alice (Roberts)
4- George R.
5- Granville, who died as an infant
6- William, 1844-1915, also served in the Civil War. His wife, Mary,
born in 1847, succumbed in 1908.
7- Benjamin, Jr.
8- Rachel (both Benjamin and Rachel died as infants)
9- Elwood, went East and spent most of his life in PA
10- Mary (Mente)
11- Elizabeth, youngest of the Conard children, who died as an infant.

Eliza (Roberts) Conard, mother of 11 children, was laid to rest in the
High Top Cemetery near Samantha. In 1854, Benjamin Conard married Elizabeth
(Hussey) Johnson, who was born in 1819. They were the parents of one
daughter, Emma Conard. Benjamin Conard and his third wife lived together
48 years before his death, Nov 7, 1902, at the age of 92. She survived until
Feb 22, 1913.

George R., fourth in age of the children of Benjamin Conard and his second
wife, was born in Lancaster Co., PA, Jan 5, 1842. He was only eight years
old when he came to Ohio with his paarents. He attended the Hillsboro schools,
the Normal School at Lebanon and Miami University. He enlisted as a member
of Co. A, 48th Reg., O.V.I. in Sept 1861. He was wounded at the battle of
Shiloh and discharged in July 1862.

George Conard entered the Medical College at Cincinnati under Professor W.W.
Dawson, whose wife was a daughter of Dr. Jasper Hand of Hillsboro. Dr.
Conard set up an office in Peru, IN and practiced there until 1875 when he
returned to Ohio. He opened an office in New Vienna on the edge of Clinton
Co. In 1866, he married Martha, daughter of Charles and Betsy (Moore) Good.
Their five children were Helen, Harvey, Elma, who died when 12 years old,
and the two youngest, who were twin boys-Robert and William Conard. They
were born Apr 11, 1877, and their mother died May 1, 1877. William died
at the age of 3 months, Robert grew to adulthood to pursure the profession
of his father. Dr. Robert Conard became an eminent physician and surgeon.
He served in the hospital corps of the U.S. Army during the Spanish-American
War. He moved to Ohio to open an office in Blanchester.

Dr. Robert Conard married Margaret E., daughter of Franklin and Catharine
Thompson of Cincinnati. They were without issue.

The wife of Dr. George R. Conard having died, he married a second time. She
was Augusta Lacey, who bore one daughter, Jane R. Conard.

Basically, the early Conard families were farmers. When Benjamin and his
wife arrived in Highland Co., they lived on a farm near Hillsboro. In 1865,
he sold the farm and purchased a store on E. Main. For a quarter of a
century, Conard's Chinaware Store was a household word in the county. He
sold wallpaper, fixtures and other commodities, but is best remembered for
the amount of china he sold. At the age of 80, he retired from his active
life.

Benjamin Conard was a profound student and a well-informed man. During
the latter years, he became very active in temperance work and the Murphy
Movement. He was a member of the Hicksite branch of the Friends Church, and
also served several years as a township trustee.

Enos Conard, another member of the family, lived in Liberty Twp. He died
in 1889 at the age of 80 years. His wife, the former Grace Stacey, born
in 1814, passed away in 1879. They were buried in the Hillsboro Cemetery.
Enos Conard, a descendant, was a farmer who lived near the village of
Highland. Others in Penn and Fairfield Twps., who were heads of families
with property, in 1912 were Edith M., Benjamin Jr., Lewis and Thomas
Conard.

The Conards who lived in Hillsboro were all businessmen. They were Charles
W., John, and John B. Conard, who was a popular principal of the high school.
Otway and William S. Conard operated a grocery store in the Masonic Temple
building on N. High. Like so many others of the Quaker faith, the Conards
were all very religious and industrious, leaving their mark on the history
of Southern Ohio.

Found the following on HUSSEY:

Page 704
THE HUSEY FAMILY
The area in the northwestern section of Penn Twp. was chosen by the Hussey
family who emigrated to Ohio from the Quaker stronghold of North Carolina
in 1806 and 1807.

Four brothers, Christopher, Stephen, Joshua and Thomas Hussey and their
numerous sons, named for their fathers or for their uncles, were early
identified with the area around New Vienna. When they arrived, that section
of Clinton Co. was a part of Highland Co. until 1810.

Thomas and Joshua Hussey started a gristmill on the East Fork of the Little
Miami River in 1826, which they operated until 1833. That year they purchased
machinery to operate the gristmill and a sawmill by steam power.

Stephen, son of Thomas Hussey, became a partner in a tannery with Rafe
Mortimer in 1827. Mortimer had operated a tannery on the site of New Vienna
many years bafore he joined Hussey. He became financially embarrassed and
a lien was placed on his property. The hides were removed from the vats and
strung on poles, where they were left hanging for several days before the
"sale crier" arrived. Buzzards came for miles to hover over the hides.
Thus the settlement of New Vienna became known by the inglorious name of
"Buzzard's Glory", before the town was laid off.

Joshua and Stephen Hussey were the first members of the family to come
into this region. They held a patent on several hundred acres of land, a
portion of which is now included in the village of New Vienna. The town
was platted Apr 21, 1835 by the surveyor, Nathan Linton, for Thomas Hussey.
Stephen Hussey, with William Reese as a partner, opened the first store in
the town of New Vienna. After some time they sold out to Thomas Hussey and
a partner named Kennedy. Thomas Hussey branched out and erected a carding
mill near the store building. Zion Rains built a factory nearby where he
produced linseed oil.

Stephen Hussey's first log cabin home was north of the small settlement
later known as Fallsville. He had located his three hundred acres in the
fertile region near the headwaters of Clear Creek. His farm was north of
the ridge that separates the Highland Co. hills from the more level part
of the county on the north. A large sulphur spring was located near the
first home, which gave the farm its name, "Sulphur Spring Farm".

Charles B. Edwards, who married into the Hussey family, was a carpenter
by trade. In time he took over the management of the farm and erected a
commodious manor house on the estate. Under his guidance the "Sulphur
Spring Farm" became a showplace and the center of activities for the
large Hussey family.

Christopher Hussey, Jr. settled in the northwestern corner of Penn, near
the present Clinton Co. line. The family helped establish and support
the East Fork Friends Meeting, near New Vienna. Christopher Hussey, Sr.
and another son, Joshua, took up land in the same community two years after
the first of the family arrived. He cleared land and improved his surround-
ings. The family, staunch Quakers, were a great asset to the County and
became very influential citizens.

Hope this helps.

Bobbi

At 03:46 PM 7/21/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Bobbi, my family moved to Highland County from Maryland before 1814. I have
>gotten some information from McBride and McBride, but still have some
>unanswered questions. Would really appreciate your offer to look up:
>
>John Ellis, b. 1781 in MD, died in Union Township, Highland County in 1838,
>at the same time as a child of about ten years old. They are buried in the
>Ellis Cemetery, which has only three graves. The story is that the river was
>swollen and they could not get across to Hillsboro. His wife was Elizabeth,
>and I think they were married in Maryland, but I have never been able to find
>her maiden name.
>
>Their son, John Plaemus (sic!) Ellis, was born in MD in 1810, married in
>Highland Co. in 1834, Eleanor Daniel(s), the daughter of James Daniel and
>Hanna Reed. I have never been able to find any more about James and Hannah.
>
>Benjamin Conard, a Quaker, owned a "queensware" (china) shop in Hillsboro.
>His first two wives died, and he married Elizabeth Hussey Johnson in 1855. I
>have a great deal of information about Benjamin and Elizabeth.
>
>Who knows? You might even share some of these ancestors. Anyway, if you find
>anything in the Pioneer Sketches, I would really appreciate it.
>
>Margaret Ellis-Miller

This thread: