OLD-WORDS-L Archives

Archiver > OLD-WORDS > 2001-08 > 0997708487

Subject: [O-W] Origin of word Rounton
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 09:14:47 EDT

G'day List
I would appreciate any ideas regarding the origin of this word. The earliest
reference I have, in 1673, is to The Rountons, with the modern name being The
Runtings.

This applies to an area of curved ditches surrounding the castle at
Whittington in Shropshire. Through my work on the castle, I have now
discovered that these castle ditches are actually part of a much larger
enclosure, probably dating from the later prehistoric period.

The suffix -ton is referred to as a settlement, a homestead, or as a fenced
enclosure. The last mentioned would be entirely fitting for an impressive
earthwork enclosure in the Saxon period. The ditches were clearly still
capable of use when the castle was built in the 12C and are still impressive
even today.

Roun- is more problematic. This may be from the Middle English (from Old
French) ro(u)nd stem of ro(o)nt, reont, from Latin rotundus ROTUND.
This could give us 'the round fenced enclosure'.

The only other use of the word I have so far found is West Rounton in N.
Yorks., which the GENUKI site describes as follows.
"The name has been variously written at different times Roughton, Wroughton,
Rungeton, Rouncton, and Rounton as at present, and may possibly have some
connection with the Saxon Rinc,a prince, though there are no traditions of
its having been at any time a royal residence."

I would be pleased to hear from any Lister who can help with this, as the
origin of the name may help with our interpretation of the site.
Cheers,
/\___/\
| o o |
>(( v ))<