ONT-LEEDS-GRENVILLE-L Archives

Archiver > ONT-LEEDS-GRENVILLE > 2012-02 > 1328378655

From: "" <>
Subject: Re: [ONT-LEEDS-GRENVILLE] Cowdrey/Mclellan
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2012 18:04:15 -0000

Author: Wunder_Woman
Surnames: COWDREY/MCLELLAN
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.northam.canada.ontario.grenvilleleeds/8142.2.2.1.1.2/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

I can understand the overwhelm since internet searching itself has a whole learning curve when it comes to genealogy. Glad I learned research methods and sources the hard way, long before the internet. It might clarify a lot to take a good beginning genealogy research class. Most genealogy societies offer them. I lived in Cheyenne for 32 yrs prior to moving back to Omaha in 2009, and they offered classes there at the community college for years, and now at the library since they have a fantastic genealogy collection in Cheyenne.

I specialize in research in Leeds & Grenville, Ontario since I've worked on 3 of my husband's families there for the past 25 years. To track them was the reason I indexed the land records for Grenville Co., since one Loyalist family settled there in the 1780's. A lot of the Canadian records can be obtained from Salt Lake thru the LDS Family History Centers.

My research and helping others is for the joy of it, not as a business. I can also empathize with you concerning family members who are interested in what we find but are not willing to help in the search. It's always more fun to be able to discuss new finds or brick walls with someone who has a clue what we're talking about!

BTW, with the anniversary of the War of 1812 upon us, I have a record of your George W. Cowdrey, Sr.'s service in Canada in one of my reference books. I'd be glad to scan and email that to you if you're interested.

Important Note: