ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 1999-04 > 0924833465

From: Bob & Karen Hammond <>
Subject: [ONTARIO-L] 1907 birth
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 19:11:05 -0700

If I have a name and birth date in Ontario(and thats all I have), will I be able to send for a copy of birth record ? And if so,
what is the name ,address and ph# of where to get it? Thanx, Karen in Michigan

> #9 [ONTARIO-L] Oro township - neighbo [Walter & Cynthia Richardson <cynwa]
> #10 [Fwd: Re: [ONTARIO-L] Provincial A ["Brenda Dougall Merriman, CGRS, CG]
> #11 [ONTARIO-L] Re: marriage licenses- []
> #12 [ONTARIO-L] Re: Trail of the Black ["Gordon A. WATTS" <gordon_watts@bc]
> Administrivia:
> To unsubscribe from ONTARIO-D, send a message to
> that contains in the body of the message the command
> unsubscribe
> and no other text. No subject line is necessary, but if your software requires one, just use unsubscribe in the subject, too.
> To access the list archives click on
> http://searches.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/listsearch.pl
> and enter the list name "Ontario" and the query page will appear.
> Type anything from a subject to a name to access postings
> with that keyword(s).
> Subject: [ONTARIO-L] Handwriting Margaret---
> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 15:23:09 -0600
> From: Marvis Collett <>
> To anyone interested:
> I received so many helpful replies that I wanted to thank you all
> again. Some of you asked that I share the results of my Handwriting
> Survey on the name of Margaret-------- which was posted on the following
> web site, so here are the results. I think I will be busy for a long
> time researching all of these. Interesting that so many different
> combinations could appear. And thank you for the helpful suggestions
> which increased my knowledge of ways to attack a handwriting problem.!
> Marvis Collett
> http://www.imt.net/~gcollett/CanYouReadThis.html
> Sorry I can't help you with the whole last name, but I did recognize one
> letter very well. My father was taught to write by his English
> grandmother who was born in the mid 1800's.
> Until he died at age 80 last year, he continued to make his D's in a
> very distinctive way. The letter in the middle of the name that looks
> like an A with a little curl over it is exactly the way he made his D's.
> Hope this helps. I know it is not much.
> It looks to me as tho it is Shuoen - possibly Shuden but all the
> other small d's are well made so I lean to Shuoen - possibly German. ---
> for what it's worth.
> Margaret Shudin
> at, least that is what looks the most logical to me especially looking
> at the other records and the handwriting.
> Deb thinks that it is:
> Margaret Thudin
> IT looks to me like it is "Shudur". The beginning letter looks like an S
> when compared to the name Sydney that appears elsewhere.
> My guess is SHUDIN.
> I think her name is Margaret Sherden
> I looked at your site and could not read it either. Looks like "hud" is
> in
> it, but I'm not sure.
> When reading old records, I often familiarize myself with other names
> in the old document and try to compare known letter formats with the
> one in question.
> It is my guess that the name is Shudim The first letter looks like the
> S in
> September, the d doesn't look like he makes his other d's so that is a
> guess, the U could be an A since he both closes and leaves his A's open.
> The last two letters are anyone's guess could be I U or I N or I M or
> any
> number of other things. The man can't spell as evidenced by how he
> spelled
> Jacques. Therefore I wouldn't expect his Shudim or whatever it is to be
> exactly how you would expect to see the name spelled.
> My suggestion is to look in the census records or Soundex for names
> similar
> in sound to Shudim There are likely to be others with the same name.
> I can only guess given some of the other letters on the record. The
> letter is an S where the pen was not well dipped in the ink. the last
> two
> letters are I N the second letter is H. However, I cannot hazard
> another guess.
> It almost looks like Margaret Thudui
> The surname appears to be "Shuden" or "Sheeden". In both cases, the
> last letter "e" could be an "i" with the dot missing.
> It appears less likely but possible that the name is "Shudur" or
> "Sheedur".
> I think the only way to resolve the matter would be to try to find
> folks of those surnames in the right place and time.
> Looks like SHUDER to me.
> Well, it IS a tough one. Looks to me like
> Margaret S h u ? d e n.
> The fourth character is the stumper. There doesn't seem to be any other
> instances of that script on the rest of the page. Do you have any other
> pages available where that occurs?
> It's a toughie. I'm quite sure the initial letter is 'S', followed by
> possibly 'h' (possibly 'p'), then probably 'er' (comparing it to the
> last two letters in 'September'), 'd' for sure, and then maybe 'ue',
> 'ere', 'eer' or 'ur'. I'll say it could be 'Sherdue'
> I am definately no expert, but what I see is Shudin, or
> Shudur...or looking at the ar in the end of Margaret, even ire... Good
> luck!!!
> How about S-H-U-D-I-N or S-H-U-D-E-N?
> >From his other handwriting, it appears it ends with an "N".
> Looks to me as though this is Shuden--which is what I get when I compare
> the
> name with other handwriting on the whole document
> Saw your plea on the Ontario list for help in reading a last
> name. I have just finished about 100 pages of typing for the Nova
> Scotia GenWeb project of Capitation and Poll Taxes for the years 1791 &
> 92, so my head and eyes are still in "strange writing" mode. If I may
> hazard a guess:
> The first letter is definately an S
> second definately h
> third definately u
> fourth definately d
> fifth propably u
> sixth either r or s
> So, we have either Shudur or Shudus.
> My guess only....
> I thought I would be able to help you. I've spent 15 years looking at
> Prince Edward County records, and I've become accustomed to the various
> handwritings, and I'm used to the more common surnames. But I spent half
> an hour trying to figure out the name, to no avail.
> I recognize most of the names on the page, and that still doesn't help
> make the name clearer. The last name is Orra Shorey, and you will notice
> the the first two letters are formed similarly to the first part of your
> name, but are not identical. The first surname in the list is Lowry, and
> I would have to say there is a lot of similarity between the capital 'S'
> and 'L' in this handwriting. I have tried to figure out what the tall
> letter in the middle of the name is. It isn't formed the same way as the
> 'd' in Snider - in fact there are examples of all the lower case
> ascenders (including 'P'!) except 'f' in the sample, and none look
> similar.
> If it helps you figure out the letters at all, here are the names as I
> think they appear in the list:
> James Lowry to Lydia McQuiod
> Jacob Wright ot Sophia (Ansley?)
> William Hudgins to Olly Scott
> William (Doxsee?) to Susannah DeMill
> Zebulon Snider to Sidney (--asetie?)
> Isaac ? Gerow to Margaret Lowry
> David Jacks to Margaret -------?
> Robert N? Hopkins to Sarah A. Carnahan
> John Wright to Sarah A. Hyatt
> Elias Smith to Minnie J. Smith
> John W. Petrs--- to Orra Shorey
> I think what is written there could well be SHUDER. However, this would
> be
> how it was heard, as the more common variation of SHOOTER is SHUTER (an
> old
> English surname probably deriving from an archer) . The initial "S" is
> clear as is the "hud" and if you look at "September", to the left, the
> final
> "er" looks identical.
> You're very welcome. Best of luck in solving this mystery. I was
> looking at the name again and it looks like it was written by a
> completely different person from the one who wrote the husbands name.
> The first letter could be an L or an S or perhaps what looks like the
> first 2 letters could actually be an H with the line not connecting back
> to the first part of the H. I have an ancestor whose name is Lemuel and
> the L and S sometimes was so similar in early documents that I have
> found him listed as Samuel in various transcriptions of original
> documents. I hope that when you finally figure it out that others have
> transcribed the name correctly when copying records of this name for
> various data bases. Thats why I make sure now that I check every
> possible spelling of an ancestors name when researching. Let us know
> when you finally get the name figured out.
> Shuder is the consensus in our household.
> I overlooked my ggrandf name in the census many times before I realized
> (someone prompted me)
> the OSTEARN was my ggrandf badly written suppose to be: OHEARN. They
> had a funny way of writing the letter "H"
> My husband and I were looking at the name you're trying to figure out.
> We both thought it looked like Shuden or Shudin. I don't know if that
> helps you at all, it is very poorly written.
> I not a handwriting expert, but from my own findings I think name is
> Snider, (Snyder) my best guess.
> As I have ancestry's name Sellar and that's how the
> S was in the census when I finally found them. The next letter I
> presume
> was n, e or i usually follow n, and so on.
> His penmanship and letter forming style seem to be sort of inconsistant.
> It still looks to me as if the name is Mayant Shudin.
> The name looks like Shuden. The S is very similar to the S in the
> September. The other Septembers on the page have closed "s"s - however
> on
> the record a few entries above the "Snider" S is open as well. The
> ending
> really does look like 'en' - it doesn't look like 'er' at all.
> In looking at the document the first letter is a "S". I noticed
> September
> the "S" is the same. It looks like Shuden. There is no dot over what
> appears
> to be an "i" and the person who wrote the document seems to dot his i's
> so
> I'm thinking it must be an "E". The only letter I wasn't sure about was
> the
> "D". Hope I helped you.
> I asked a friend of mine what she thought your handwriting sample
> said, as she helped me with a tough one. Her reply
> "it looks like Shuden or Shudan to me."
> Welcome to the world of genealogy.
> Subject: [ONTARIO-L] Saint Catharines Newspaper
> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 17:25:05 -0400 (EDT)
> From: "Joan M. Koornstra" <>
> Hi group
> Would anyone who subscribes to Saint Catherines Newspaper please email me. I
> am looking for an obit that appeared in the paper yesterday April 19th.
> Joan from Guelph
> Subject: Re: [ONTARIO-L] Saint Catharines Newspaper
> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 17:38:07 -0400
> From: "Donald Holmes" <>
> Have you tried using your search engine to call up yesterday's paper?
> Don Holmes
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Joan M. Koornstra <>
> Date: Tuesday, April 20, 1999 5:29 PM
> Subject: [ONTARIO-L] Saint Catharines Newspaper
> >Hi group
> >Would anyone who subscribes to Saint Catherines Newspaper please email me.
> I
> >am looking for an obit that appeared in the paper yesterday April 19th.
> >Joan from Guelph
> >==== ONTARIO Mailing List ====
> >Keep in mind that respect and courtesy is a must.
> >If you have a disagreement with another subscriber, either
> >email them direct or contact the listowner at
> >PLEASE do not post grievances to the list. Thanks!
> Subject: [ONTARIO-L] Lazenby, William
> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 17:43:44 -0400
> From: "Robin Radcliffe" <>
> trying to locate any information on a William Lazenby m. Jane B. Kelly, Essex
> County, migrating to North Branch Michigan. William's birthplace listed at England
> but Jane listing Canada 1840's for both. Any information appreciated.
> Subject: Re: [ONTARIO-L] marriage licenses-Ontario
> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 17:48:35 -0400
> From: "Donald Holmes" <>
> The government did not provide certificates until 1969. Each church in each
> county was required to register their weddings with the government however
> between 1858-1869. Ask the Waterloo Genealogical Society, 153 Frederick St.,
> Ste 102 Kitchener Ontario N2H 2M2 to assist you with their copy of County
> Marriages.
> Don Holmes
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Sue Schlosser <>
> Date: Tuesday, April 20, 1999 1:54 PM
> Subject: [ONTARIO-L] marriage licenses-Ontario
> >I would like to see if I can obtain the marriage certificate for an
> >ancestor who was married in Preston, Wellington, Ontario. Can you tell
> >me if they are available for the year 1865? and where to write to
> >get that certificate if they were issued then? thanks...
> >==== ONTARIO Mailing List ====
> >Subscribers of ONTARIO-L (single mode), if you feel you
> >are getting too many messages during the day, switch to
> >Digest mode, and you will get the accumulated messages
> >within the last 12 hours. For switching read instructions.
> Subject: [ONTARIO-L] Photos from 1948 at Listowel High School
> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 17:56:56 EDT
> From:
> Hi List,
> In an old photo album I find I have two 5x7 hand-tinted photos of handsome
> young men who were grade 10 students at Listowel District High School in
> 1948/49. The names are:
> 1. Doug Brake [of Listowel]
> 2. Rae Adams [of Gorrie – in a school cadet uniform]
> If anyone definitely connects with one of these people, I shall be happy to
> scan the photo & transfer it.
> Gracie
> Subject: COLBY
> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 18:09:16 EDT
> From:
> To: ,
> We know that two brothers came to Toronto in 1836 from Gunthorpe, Norfolk.
> They were as follows:
> Robert COLBY + wife, Sarah and two children: Mary Ann + William
> Thomas COLBY + wife, Sarah and five children: James, William, Mary Ann,
> Hannah + Elizabeth
> The Directory of Province of Ontario 1857 lists
> COLBY, James carter, Terauley, nr. Alice St
> COLBY, Robert dairyman, Maria nr. Queen St
> COLBY, Thomas laborer, 65 Terauley St
> COLBY, William painter, Dummer St (Colby & Fry, painters at 46 Queen
> St)
> Robert was my husband's great great grandfather and William, his great
> grandfather. We know that William married Jane ROBB in Toronto 19 Aug 1853
> (her parents: Claude ROBB and Janet KEIR from Paisley, Scotland).
> We know that Robert and Sarah COLBY had three more children born in Toronto:
> Julia, Edward and Elizabeth.
> William COLBY and Jane ROBB had nine children: William, Jessie, Clara,
> Arthur, Robert, Charles, Walter, Francis (Frank) and George. George COLBY
> moved to Edmonton and married Margaret CRAMMOND, who was born in Scotland.
> His son Howard Douglas COLBY was the father of my husband, Howard Douglas
> COLBY jr.
> Marjorie Tidsbury, another grand daughter of George COLBY, and I are working
> on the COLBY family history and would appreciate any information about the
> "lost cousins" who remained in Ontario + their descendants.
> Please Email me directly at:
> Many thanks in advance!
> Judy Eöry COLBY, North Vancouver, B. C.
> Subject: [ONTARIO-L] Lookup at hamilton Public Library
> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 15:34:01 -0700 (PDT)
> From:
> Hi,
> I am wondering if anyone has the following book or might be
> willing to look at it at the Hamilton Public Library Special
> Collections section. I am unable to get it through interlibrary
> loan.
> The books is "A Storey Record: A Geneology for the Descendents of
> William Helsop Storey" (DesMoines, IA, 1981). I am trying to
> learn if any of the following family members of mine are related
> to W. H. Storey.
> They are:
> Thomas Storey (b. 4/21/1848)
> Elizabeth McCurdy Storey (b. 8/18/1849)
> Their Children:
> Elizabeth Jane Storey (b. 8/25/1870)
> George Storey (b. 8/10/1872)
> Thomas Hannah Storey (b. 6/22/1875)
> John Alexander Storey (b. 1/25/1878)
> Mary Storey (b. 7/22/1879)
> Robert Benjamin Storey (b. 4/4/1881)
> Sophia Storey (b. 6/5/1886)
> David Wesley Storey (b. 6/5/1886)
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Keith Storey
> Subject: [ONTARIO-L] Oro township - neighboourhood newspapers
> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 20:20:58 -0400
> From: Walter & Cynthia Richardson <>
> Hi Patricia,
> Oro townshipwas serviced by newspapers on three sides:
> Elmvale Lance --at Simcoe County Archives
> Midland Free Press--
> Orillia Packet --- at Orillia Public Library
> Orillia Times -- at Orillia Public Library
> Barrie Examiner - Barrie Public Library
> Northern Advance---- Barrie PUblic Library/Simcoe County Archives
> Hope this helps !
> Walter
> Subject: [Fwd: Re: [ONTARIO-L] Provincial Asylum -- where is it?]
> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 20:28:55 -0400
> From: "Brenda Dougall Merriman, CGRS, CGL" <>
> Subject: Re: [ONTARIO-L] Provincial Asylum -- where is it?
> Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 19:45:15 -0400
> From: "Brenda Dougall Merriman, CGRS, CGL" <>
> To: Glenn King <>
> References: <003a01be8a8d$dcad0160$>
> Glenn King wrote:
> > I've discovered that someone died in the Provincial Asylum.
> > Death occurred in about 1856. Can someone tell me where it is/was located, and if there are any records somewhere?
> > Glenn
> > ==== ONTARIO Mailing List ====
> > All postings are archived, to search:
> > http://searches.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/listsearch.pl
> Glenn, I don't know where your ancestor/interest was located, but in
> 1856 there were Lunatic Asylums in Ontario at Toronto and Kingston.
> Toronto may have had its branches in Malden (Essex County) and Orillia
> by then, as well. I'm not being politically incorrect, that is what they
> were called then. <g>
> The Archives of Ontario has an abundance of 19th century records from
> those institutions, including patient files, easily accessible.
> I'm not sure if the original address in Toronto was 999 (3 x 9) Queen
> Street, but it is now!
> Brenda Merriman
> Subject: [ONTARIO-L] Re: marriage licenses-Ontario
> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 18:56:13 -0600
> From:
> Hi Sue,
> Prior to 1869, there was no provincial-wide requirement for the
> registration of births, marriages, and deaths. However, marriages were
> often registered in what was known as a District Marriage Register by the
> clergy or JP (this generally does not apply to Catholic marriages, where
> the records were retained by the Catholic Church). The LDS have microfilms
> in their collection of these Early Ontario District Marriage Registers
> (some of which cover periods as early as 1838). I'm sorry I don't know the
> film numbers off hand, but you should be able to locate them in the Family
> History Catalog at your local LDS Family History Center.
> The catalog should also have a description of which District Register would
> have covered the area and time period in which you are interested. To
> confuse matters, however, I have run across a case where a marriage was
> registered in the adjacent District rather than in the proper district
> where the marriage took place. I believe that likely the JP must have
> found it more convenient to travel to the adjacent district office than to
> the office for his own district.
> Hope this helps,
> Joyce
> At 12:44 PM 4/20/99 -0500, Sue Schlosser wrote:
> >I would like to see if I can obtain the marriage certificate for an
> >ancestor who was married in Preston, Wellington, Ontario. Can you tell
> >me if they are available for the year 1865? and where to write to
> >get that certificate if they were issued then? thanks...
> Subject: [ONTARIO-L] Re: Trail of the Black Walnut
> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 18:50:57 -0000
> From: "Gordon A. WATTS" <>
> Hi Patricia.
> Another book you may be interested in, also by G. Elmore Reaman, is 'Trail
> of the Huguenots'.
> It parallels 'Trail of the Black Walnut', dealing mostly with immigration
> into Nova Scotia. Happy Hunting.
> Gordon A. WATTS
> ICQ #9183352
> I have gone to find myself.
> If I get back before I return,
> Please ask me to wait.
> From: Patricia Knapp <>