OREGON-L Archives

Archiver > OREGON > 2005-12 > 1134254256

From: "The William C. Jones Family" <>
Subject: Re: [OREGON] Free Lookups CHURCH,LISTER,SMITH
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 16:37:39 -0600

Dear Barbara,

What fun! Your Freeman was named after his grandfather, Freeman Smith b. 10
Mar 1798. Woodbridge, NJ. He is the "patriarch" who traveled by way of the
Isthmus in 1865. As a boy, he traveled on James Fulton's Claremont and
became among other things, a builder of steamboats. (He built the Black Hawk
that traveled the Cedar River and was confiscated by the government for use
as a packet boat on the Tennessee River during the Civil War.)

I descend from his eldest son, Dr. James Alexander Smith. He died while
trying to reach his brother Henry's home in Noti in 1861.

I guess that the pottery business was not so successful in Cedar Rapids and
the better clay deposits in Buena Vista beckoned. That's why the Smith
family all wound up in Oregon, going the route by which they were most
confident. One of the workers in the pottery was James Church, who fell in
love with Freeman's granddaughter (James's orphan.) One of the pottery
pieces found in the old factory site was a lip to a jar. On it was written
the name "Margaret." Cousin Blaine Schmeer and I like to think that it was
made by James Church who married Margaret Smith. I compared the writing to
James' handwriting in a pension application and they certainly look like the
same "hand" to me. They are my great grandparents.

I am having a tough time trying to prove parentage for the eldest Freeman
Smith. I'm not sure that the information in his obituary is accurate. I have
a friend/ cousin with whom I went to high school in Eugene years ago. She
descends from Amedee Smith. We walked home from school together for years
and never knew we were cousins until recently! She has an aunt in Portland
who is keeper of all thing related to Smith genealogy. I really must find
time to write her and ask questions.

I enjoyed the Sophia's Scrapbook articles and have included them in our
family history. You might be interested in this article I found in James and
Margaret Church's scrapbook:

From a newspaper article dated Oct. 1861:
A stranger giving his name as Jas A. Smith of Cedar Rapids, Iowa died at
Mrs. Jos Parrott's, six miles south of Oregon City on Monday, Oct 7th, about
33 years. He had a diploma as an MD from a medical college in Cincinatti
[sic]. He had with him his marriage certificate also dated Cincinatti [sic].
He was in search of a brother supposed to live on Long Tom. His effects were
examined and a memorandizing made of them by A. Coolidge, F. McLane and N.D.
Symonds of Silverton, Marion County. Any further information can be had by
writing to Rev. K. Hines, Oregon City.

Thank you so much for emailing me with your great information.

Judy