ORIGINAL-13-L Archives

Archiver > ORIGINAL-13 > 2006-05 > 1148839090

From: John Rittenhouse <>
Subject: Re: [ORIGINAL-13] Germantown Historic Places, 2
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 10:58:10 -0700 (PDT)

Gene,

Don't forget the site of the Rittenhouse paper mill. The first paper mill in America was built in 1690 in Germantown by my 8th great grandfather William Rittenhouse. It was destroyed by a flood in 1700, and rebuilt in 1702. The second one was destoyed by fire in the 1770 and a third one was rebuilt. It stayed in the family for generations.

Eugene Stackhouse <> wrote:
PLACES OF HISTORIC INTEREST IN GERMANTOWN-PART 1

"Germantown Crier", Vol. 28, #4, Fall 1976:

Germantown is famous for its interesting historic sites, many of great beauty and interest. The list of houses (open to the public) includes Stenton, the Germantown Historical Society, Grumblethorpe, Germantown White House (Deshler-Morris House), Wyck, Johnson House, Upsala and Cliveden.

1. STENTON-18th and Courtland Streets. Built by James Logan, Secretary to William Penn. 1723-1730.

2. Loudoun-Germantown and Apsley Street (Neglee's Hill). Built by Thomas Armat, 1801. Lived in by five generations of his descendants, the fifth also descended from James Logan.

3. LOWER GERMANTOWN BURYING GROUND (Hood's Cemetery), corner East Logan Street and Germantown Avenue. Land presented to Borough of Germantown by Pauk Wolf, 1790.

4. Site of THONES KUNDER House-5109 Germantown Avenue. One of the original 13 settlers of Germantown, 1683. The first formal protest in America against human slavery was issued here in 1688.

5. Site of GILBERT STUART HOUSE AND STUDIO-5140 Germantown Avenue. The Athenaeum portrait of George Washington was painted here.

6. BAYTON House-5208 Germantown Avenue. Built in 1802.

7. CONYNGHAM-HACKER House-5214 Germantown Avenue. Built by William Forbes in 1772.

8. HOWELL House-5218 Germantown Avenue. Built in 1795 by William Forbes.

9. THE ENDT House-5222-24 Germantown Avenue. Built middle 18th century.

10. BECHTEL House-5226 Germantown Avenue. Built 1742.

11. GRUMBLETHORPE (Wister Homestead)-5267 Germantown Avenue. Built by John Wister, 1744. British General Agnew died here after the Battle of Germantown.

12. CLARKSON-WATSON House-5275-77 Germantown Avenue. Summer home of Matthew Clarkson. Mayor of Philadelphia. Thomas Jefferson and Edmund Randolph, Attorney General, resided here during the epidemic of 1793. Home of John Fanning Watson, noted annalist and the first location of the National Bank of Germantown in 1825.

To be continued.

Gene Stackhouse
"Beer: The perfect food."
EGS