ORKNEY-L Archives

Archiver > ORKNEY > 2002-10 > 1034455941

From: Greenwood <>
Subject: [Orkney] Misc Stromness OPR records
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 15:52:21 -0500

Have copied a few sheets from the STROMNESS Old Parish Records. They give a tad bit more information that the IGI does,
in that the parish of residence is listed in most cases. Here are the names I found with the parishes they were
residing in. The listings will be brief, and not give the particular DATE of the marriage, as this is locatable in the
IGI at the www.familysearch.org site.

Will be using many abbrev. for this Posting - to save me some time, dinner hour is approaching and I want to get this
done before then. Goals are good things to have, horrible to keep sometimes though !

Write back if you have any questions, but generally, there is little more I can provide except perhaps a scan of the
handwritten image if it is your particular line, or the name of the Reverend who performed the marriage.

Here is the first example, fully written out from Marriages, 1824, Dec 16 :
Hugh Borwick and Catharine Hunter both of this parish were after regular proclamation of Banns through separate
Sabbaths, married on the 16th day of Dec'r, 1824 by the Rev'd Andrew Wylie
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

STROMNESS Old Parish Records
ST is for Stromness, other parishes may be abbrev, but understandable.
If residence wasn't mentioned, I presumed them to both be from ST

1824
Hugh BORWICK / Catherine HUNTER both of ST

Andrew BRASS / Margaret FIRTH, both of ST

William BYASS [not 'Brass'] / Catharine FLETT, both ST

Davie ISBISTER of Harray / Jean RENDALL of ST

Henry INKSTER / Janet MELVIN both of ST

Thomas LINEY of Orphir / Janet THOMSON of ST
1828
Robert ALLEN / Mary MOWAT both of ST

Thomas GARSON / Catharine HUNTER both of ST

William GROUNDWATER of So. Ron'sy / Hannah CORRIGAL of ST

John LYON of Stennes / Catherine HOURSTON of ST

David FLETT / Marjory IRVINE of ST

John RENDALL of St Ola / Betsy STEWART of ST

Andrew MOWAT / Barbara LIDDLE botn of ST
1829
Geroge INKSTER / Catharine BAILLIE both of ST

William FOLSTER / Elizabeth SABESTON both of ST

Robert TAYLOR / Catharine LEITH both of ST

William CALDER / Ann INKSTER both of ST

James MOWAT, Seaman / Jane CORSTON both of ST

Allen VELZIAN / Minah OMAN both presumably of ST
1830
John ALLEN / Janet COPLAND both of ST

Thomas ABERNATHY / Ann IRVINE both of ST

James GROUNDWATER / Margaret YOUNG both of ST

William GUNN of Sandwick / Ann CORSTON of ST

John MOWAT / Isabella JOHNSTON both of ST

Magnus LOUTTIT / Barbara GIBSON, both of ST
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
1832
William HARVIE, house carpenter / Isabella MOAR presumably both of ST

Peter BRASS, house carpenter / Margaret BEWS, presumably both of ST

John WILSON, shoemaker / Margaret LINKLATTER presumably both of ST

John FLETT, sailor / Isabella FLETT presumably both of ST

John ISBISTER / Janet STOCKAN presumably both of ST
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
1844
Thomas WISHART / Margaret IRVINE both of ST

George HALCRO / Jannet LOUTTIT both of ST

Charles WOOD, seaman / Margaret LESLIE both of ST

James FRASER, carpenter of ST / Margaret MONCRIEFF of Orphir

Edward IRVINE / Barbara LAUGHTON both presumably of ST

Christopher SPENCE / Euphemia GRAY both of ST

Edward HAIR, shipmaster, from the County of Galway, Scotland / Jane RENDALL of ST

James BEWS / Margaret WILSON both of ST

Thomas FLETT / Christiain BALLANDEN both of ST
Meg Greenwood / Oklahoma, USA
Made it in time, pasta water boiling nicely.

This thread: