ORKNEY-L Archives

Archiver > ORKNEY > 2007-06 > 1182983300

Subject: Re: [ORKNEY] Benjamin Moodie
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 18:28:20 EDT

James,

I had been wondering why you were so quiet! :-))

Although this may not answer Norman's original question, a few other points
can be made about James Moodie.

1. In case this point has been missed by some readers, there were in the
first quarter of the 18th Century two James Moodies of Melsetter, uncle and
nephew. The uncle was (perhaps obviously) the older and was the supposed father of
Benjamin. The note below by Ray Fereday therefore contains a hint that the
nephew may have been the biological father. I make no further comment on this.

2. To quote Ray from the same book as James mentioned, page 1: "The uncle
served so long in the Royal Navy that he became its most senior captain; the
nephew had a commision in the Scotch Guards in the 1690s; and later, at home in
Orkney, was addressed by the title of captain quite informally". This has added
to the confusion of the two in modern times, but Ray goes on to note that for
a variety of reasons there was no confusion between them at the time.

3. The 1794 Statistical Account of Walls & Flotta, page 323/324 includes a
copy of a letter in 1707 from King Charles III of Spain to his sister, Queen
Anne of GB, expressing thanks for Moodie's services as Captain of British ship
"Lancaster" in breaking a seige. This account says that he was said to have
risen to rank of Commodore andalso mentions his murder. So here is another
reference to him being a commodore. On page 2 of "Orkney Feuds ..." Fereday states
that he never made it to Admiral, so perhaps as the most senior captain he was
called commodore to mollify him?

4. Fereday merely says that the first wife of the elder James "is thought to
have been a daughter of the Earl of Morton". Perhaps Ray felt there was some
doubt?

5. According to "Orkney Feuds ..." page 1, the younger James was factor in
Orkney for his uncle's estates. On page 2/4 he relates that the uncle found
about 1713 that the nephew had misappropriated funds and fired him as factor.
Over a period of years the two fought over control of Melsetter, the younger
striving to usurp the estate. Ray says on page 4: "Probably he was hoping that
death would remove his old uncle and his youthfull cousins, leaving him
undisputed laird of the Melsetter estate. However, on the 8th of June, 1720, the
Court of Session at last decreed that the legal time for redemption had expired
and that the elder Moodie was entitled to possess the family lands occupied for
so long by his nephew." The next couple of pages detail the political and
quasi-military moves the nephew next made, culminating in a showdown April 1722,
after which the nephew left Orkney.

6. Fereday notes (page 6) that the uncle had a last period of naval service
afloat from 1715 to 1717 and retired about 1719 to Orkney. The full context
of James's excerpt below is: "His first wife and sons had died and he was on
bad terms with his nephew. Old as he was (73 or 74) he married again, perhaps
hoping for an heir. ... We do not know the date of this second marriage; it
was not entered in the register at Kirkwall ... all we know is that Christiana
gave birth to a child on 17th February, 1723, who was later accepted without
dispute as the lawful son and heir of Captain Moodie R.N. Perhaps it was just a
coincidence that this child was conceived at a time when the younger Captain
Moodie was making his last visit to Orkney."

7. The saga continues for several pages, in which it appears clear that
Aikerness is the one near Rendal and Stennis (inherited by Christina from her
first husband, Bellenden) but there is also a cryptic note that she was forced to
sell "her own lands in Ayrshire". Perhaps this is the source of the erroneous
record that Aikerness was in Ayrshire?

Ken Harrison

In a message dated 27/06/2007 1:18:09 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
writes:

> Due to computer problems I have not been following all this exchange, but on
>
> the last round I note that Ray Fereday in his "Orkney Feuds and the '45"
> (1980, p6) states: "...Christina (Crawford, the second wife of the elder
> Captain Moodie) gave birth to a child on 17th February, 1723, who was later
> accepted without dispute as the lawful son and heir of Captain Mooide R.N.
> Perhaps it was just a coincidence that this child was conceived at a time
> when
> the younger Captain Moodie was making his last visit to Orkney." No sources
>
> offered, and I would not want to comment on the second sentence without
> doing
> some homework!
>
> I also note that 17/2/1723 is given as Benjamin's date of birth by Roland
> St.Clair in his "Orcadina Families" of 1909. St.Clair is not always
> reliable,
> but Ray Fereday is very aware of this. Clearly the understanding of this
> date
> of birth goes back many years.
>
> James Irvine.
>
> Quoting :
>

> >Rootsweb handles ONLY plain text messages; therefore, there is no concern
> for
> >virus infections from a digest.
> >
> >http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/intl/SCT/ORKNEY.html
> >
> >Today's Topics:
> >
> > 1. Re: Benjamin Moodie (Norman Tulloch)
> > 2. Re: Benjamin Moodie ()

> >Message: 1
> >Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 09:08:33 +0100
> >From: Norman Tulloch <>
> >Subject: Re: [ORKNEY] Benjamin Moodie
> >
> > wrote:
> >>2. I too have a birth date for Benjamin of 17 Feb 1723, but I have no
> >>location for the birth. My source for the date is unrecorded, except
> >>for a note that it may have come to me from Ray Fereday in a private
> >>correspondence. If so, he did not indicate to me the source of the
> >>date. I do have some doubts about the date, since I have a note that
> >>Benjamin's grandson John Wedderburn Dunbar Moodie (who was married to
> >>Susanna Strickland) stated in his book "Scenes and Adventures as a
> >>Soldier and Settler During Half a Century" that his grandfather
> >>Benjamin was 9 years of age at the time of the murder of his father.
> >>This would place James's birth about 1716. I wonder whether Bruce
> >>Gorie knows if "Who Was Who" indicates the source of its birth data
> >>for Benjamin.
> >

> >Ken,
> >
> >Thank you for your reply.
> >
> >I take it that when you said, "This would place James's birth about
> >1716," you meant to refer to Benjamin's birth.
> >
> >I know very little about the Moodies, but I wonder where Benjamin was
> >buried. Melsetter? Or somewhere else on Walls? Is there a record of the
> >inscription on his gravestone (if it's legible) that might confirm his
> >date of birth?
> >
> >According to the Orkney Family History Society, the memorial
> [...]

This thread: