OWEN-COUSINS-L Archives

Archiver > OWEN-COUSINS > 2003-05 > 1053712008

From: Kathie <>
Subject: [OWEN-COUSINS] Martin Owen(s), 1800s, GA *FWD by List Admin.
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 12:46:48 -0500

FORWARDED BY LIST ADMIN.

Subj: Martin Owen(s), 1800s, GA
Date: 5/23/2003 12:45:51 PM Central Daylight Time

I'm looking for ancestors and descendants of MARTIN OWEN(S), my GGG
grandfather, b. abt 1801 in Georgia. Married MARTHA KENNEDY or KANADY in
1827 in Upson
County, GA. Found in 1830 Upson county census (missing in 1840, but drew
land
in the Cherokee Land Lottery and may been there ... Cass/Bartow county area
now). He reappears again in 1850 in Meriwether County, GA.

Martin died in 1853, not sure if it was in Meriwether or Fayette Co.,
GA, as
Martha applied for guardianship of her minor children in Fayette County.
Court
records state:

"The Court of Ordinary of Fayette County met according to adj---- and
present
his Honor Jesse L. Blalock Ordinary this 9th day of January 1854.

"Court of Ordinary January Term 1854
It appearing to the court that Martha Owens wishes to become the
Guardian of
the person and property of her minor children orphans of Martin Owens
late of
Meriwether deceased viz Martha Amanda (,) Sarah Elizabeth (,) Matilda C.(,)
Lucinda Caroline(,) and Robert Martin Owens. It is therefore ordered by the
Court that the Said Martha Owens be appointed the Guardian of said Minor
children
upon her given bond and security in the sum of Eight hundred and twenty
Dollars with William Owens her Security and taking the oath prescribed
by Law.
J.L. Blalock, O.F.C." ... etc., etc.

Not sure if this means he died in Meriwether or was "late" of Meriwether
and
died in Fayette. He is not listed in the Fayette or Meriwether cemeteries
book. May have died intestate. Still investigating since this is
relatively new
information to me.

Known children are:

William J. OWEN, b. abt 1830, probably in Upson County
Mary OWEN, b. abt 1831 in GA
Martha Amanda OWEN, b. abt 1838 in GA (could be children in between
those two)
Sarah Elizabeth OWEN, b. abt 1842 in GA
Matilda C. OWEN, b. abt 1844 in GA
Lucinda Caroline OWEN, b. 1 Jan 1847, d. 30 Jan. 1886 in Cleburne Co.,
AL, m.
William Jethro FOWLER in 1866 in Meriwether County (my GG grandparents)
Robert Martin OWEN, b. abt 1851, prob. in Meriwether Co.

Martha OWEN is shown as a widow in 1860 Fayette County, with children
William, Amanda, Elizabeth. Matilda, Caroline and Robert OWENS.

ROBERT MARTIN OWEN(S) may have married Julia BAILEY in Coweta County
(marriage record in 1876) and moved to Carroll County, where a Robert M.
Owens is
found in 1880 with a wife named Julia. Ten years before, in 1870, he was
single
and living in Campbell County with his sister MARTHA AMANDA OWEN next
door to
his sister Lucinda Caroline OWEN FOWLER and her husband.

This family MAY have ties to the Whaley family back in Upson/Pike
County, but
am still trying to find information. A JAMES WHALEY, age 12, orphan of
ISHAM
WHALEY and CAROLINE BROWN, was living with my Owen family in 1850.

Any help or connections to this family appreciated.
Judy Fowler Kilgore
Newnan (Coweta Co.), GA

This thread: