OWEN-L Archives

Archiver > OWEN > 2000-12 > 0975907835

From: "williamz" <>
Subject: [OWEN] William Owens Gold Mine
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 23:30:35 -0600

To the OWEN-L roots web members:

Hi,

The following article was extracted from the book "Haralson County (GA): A
History" by Lois Owens Newman, p. 79, c. 1994, W. H. Wolfe publisher. A
William Owens was supposed to have discovered gold on a piece of land he
lived on near Tallapoosa, GA in the early 1830's and someone has connected
him to my William Owen ancestor who lived in Newton County, AR before 1850.
The article does not give a footnote to a source reference showing how the
writer linked these two William Owens together over a 700 mile distance. I
am looking for any one who might have further information about either of
these William Owens. (See my notes after the end of this article about how
this might or might not relate to my Owen ancestors).

*********************************
EARLY DAYS OF THE (OWENS)GOLD MINE

On August 19, 1837 William Owens purchased Land Lot #134 in the 8th District
(of Carroll County, later Haralson County, Georgia) from Thomas J. Stephens
of Oglethorpe County, Georgia. Stephens had drawn the lot in the Creek
Lottery, known as the 1827 land Lottery or Georgia, on July 17, 1833. Owens
also came into possession of Lot #133 which be sold to Thomas Bonner,
Underwood and David Clopton in 1852, by Power of Attorney, after moving to
Newton County, Arkansas.

William Owens worked the mine for several years with primitive methods. He
is credited with discovery of gold there and the mine is shown on maps as
early as 1847 and as late as 1869 as the Owens Mine.

William Owens sold the mine to Edmond Holland ca 1847. Mr. Holland had been
involved in mining operations at Villa Rica earlier. Holland is credited
with being very successful and gaining much profit from the mine though
there is little documentation to prove it. In 1917, members of the senior
class of Tallapoosa High School interviewed Mrs. Amanda Little, daughter of
Edmond Holland, who gave the following information concerning her father's
profit from the mine.

Mrs. Little stated that her father moved to the Owens Mine from Villaflica
in 1847. He had bought the property for $300.00. He worked the mine with
slave labor and in 1849, during three days and nights, took $45,000 in gold
from the mine. The gold was hauled to the Dahlonega Mint. She stated that
her father took enough gold from the mine to found the Atlanta National Bank
and that he was President of the bank for several years.
Records show that Edmond Holland sold all or part of Lot #134 to David
Clopton, 6 October 1849. (Book F. p 523] Mrs. Little said that her father
moved to Texas early in 1860 and later to Louisiana. He came back to Georgia
after the war.

Amanda Holland married Francis M. Little in Carroll County, 18 October 1849.
The couple are buried in the cemetery at Mt. Zion Baptist Church in Haralson
County, GA.

Two reports by state geologists, one in 1896 arid another in 1909, outline
the properties in Haralson county where gold was mined. These reports appear
in the Appendix.

Sources: Carroll County Deeds and Mortgages: Carroll County marriage
records: l827Land Lottery of Georgia; Interview with "Granny Little by the
Senior class of Tallapoosa 1917 from the Carroll County Geneological Society
Quarterly, vol. IV, No. two, Summer 1983 by Wailes Thomas: The FYrst Hundred
Years of Tallapoosa, Georgia by Frances Greene.
*********************************
NOTES by William D. Gorman on 3 Dec 2000:

My ggg grandfather was named William Owen b. 1777 in NC and lived in Newton
County, Arkansas in 1850. He had sons (that we know of) Richard Owen b.
1804 NC, Thomas Owen b. 1812 TN and Aaron Owen b. 1820 KY so it appears that
William Owen. His son Richard was in Newton County, AR as early as 1832 and
there is some family tradition that these Owen ancestors moved to MO from KY
before going to AR. Thus we see an early pattern of westward migration for
my Owen ancestors which seems inconsistent with him being the William Owen
who lived in Georgia between 1833 and 1847.

It is interesting, however, that the Amanda Little mentioned in the article
was married to Francis M. Little who was the son of another ggg-grandfather
of mine, a Josiah Little of Carroll Co., GA and later Cleburne (Benton)
County, AL. Josiah Little's daugher, Sarah Ann Little b. 1824 in Jackson
Co., GA who married Caloway Stephens. Sarah and Caloway married in Carroll
Co., GA in 1841, moved to Tallapoosa Co., AL in 1843, then to Benton Co., AL
in 1851 and to Lawrence Co., AL before 1860 where Caloway ran a grist mill
and worked as a blacksmith. Caloway served in the 23rd AL Inf Vol Reg in
the Civil War and died in 1863 of fever (typhoid)?). Sarah and Caloway had
9 children and as far as known, Sarah never remarried. She is buried in
Ellis County, TX under a headstone :Sarah Ann Stephens". Sarah is believed
to have moved to Newton County, AR after the 1870 census and prior to the
marriage of son Joseph Richard Stephens to Elizabeth Beckham in 1871 in
Newton County. In 1874 Sarah's daughter Arletha Stephens married Richard
Carol Owen (he was born in Newton Co in 1851) in Newton County, AR. This
Richard Carol Owen was a son of Richard Owen b. 1804 NC and the grandson of
William Owen b. 1777 NC who was living in Newton Co., AR in 1850.

So, although there was the possibility of an Owen - Little - Stephens
acquaintance in GA before 1850, the Owen family which Sarah Ann Little
Stephens daughter married into had been in Arkansas for 20-38 years prior to
Sarah and her children arriving there. I am trying to discern whether this
Owen family of Newton Co., AR was really descendants of the William Owen who
owned a gold mine in GA and if so, was there a connection between the
familys there which could have provided part of the catalyst which spurred
the migration of widow Sarah Ann Little Stephens and her children to Newton
County, AR about 1870.

If anyone who is not completely confused can enlighten me on either of these
William Owens I would be in deep gratitude.

William D. Gorman,
Plano, TX

This thread: