OXFORDSHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > OXFORDSHIRE > 2000-03 > 0953896336

From: Jane Montague <>
Subject: RE: Abingdon Workhouse
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 11:12:16 -0000

Thanks Bob for the story on Hannah - this is why I like researching family
history - the real life stories are so interesting - it's not just a
question of dates and records!!! My interest in Hannah only came about
because she married a WHITE - and they are my ancestors. But, through noting
her early widowhood and the loss of her small daughters made me curious to
know more about her.
When I visited Marsh Baldon some time ago I did see some fairly recent
graves still bearing the name of ALLMOND. What I did wonder was why, in a
small community such as Marsh Baldon , were Hannah and her daughters left to
the mercy of the workhouse once she was widowed? Was there no one else to
help her out during this troubled period? Mind you, if she was a bit of
"rogue" maybe that's why both the ALLMONDS and WHITES deserted her!!!