OXFORDSHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > OXFORDSHIRE > 2001-07 > 0994051684

From: "Chris Bartlett" <>
Subject: Blackthorne, Arncott, Ambrosden 1550-1650
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 17:28:04 +1200

Hello everyone

I wonder if someone can tell me a bit about these villages about 1600. I gather that Blackthorne is larger than Ambrosen yet all the parish records were kept at Ambrosden and would also like to know if the area would have been soically associated with Wood Eaton and Oxford. I have been told that in the early 1600s Francis Stanton married a Lettuce Caulfield who was the daughter of a Dr George CAUFIELD, barrister. I am going to check but the only Francis Stanton I can find was baptised in Bicester.

Were these villages farming villages or was there another reason for them being there? In a will I have for Richard Stanton in 1553 he mentions unrelated people William CROXTON, William HARRIS, William NODDY, Nicholas HARTE, Christopher LYING and one we are not sure of Mary YODHILDE.

I would like to know if anyone has been researching any of these names and what their occupations were in the early records.

Can anyone help?

Thanks Chris Bartlett

This thread: